The fastest under 3 cube saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now, the reason for my question. I've been going to a local small time contest for the past couple years and this guy with a nice sounding 346 beats me.This year & believe it if you want, only by a few seconds 2 cuts 8x8 hardwood against a wild thingy that I just got running last week with a quick muffler mod & a new chain. I got to do something different before next year because it does pay well to win, ah $10.00 for first & $5.00 for second :hmm3grin2orange:

Yeah, that Wild Thing was impressive! I was surprised how close it kept up with the Husky's. :chainsaw:

For a stock or lightly ported work saw under 3 cube (49.16 cc), the 45cc 346 does show well. But the older stihl 260/026 or older style husky 49cc 350 have nearly 10% displacement on it and when going to a fully ported or all out build there is no replacement for this displacement advantage.

If there is some wiggle room to go to 50-51cc then the new style Husky 346, Dolmar 5100 and 651 Solo can't be ignored.

Maybe you can get a NE 346, remove the primer and put another top cover and an orange chain break cover on it? I guess the OE 346, 353, 350 maybe ... should fit ? Then you can say you have < 50cc.

Maybe you can get a NE 346, remove the primer and put another top cover and an orange chain break cover on it? I guess the OE 346, 353, 350 maybe ... should fit ? Then you can say you have < 50cc.

SHAME ON YOU....

For a stock or lightly ported work saw under 3 cube (49.16 cc), the 45cc 346 does show well. But the older stihl 260/026 or older style husky 49cc 350 have nearly 10% displacement on it and when going to a fully ported or all out build there is no replacement for this displacement advantage.

If there is some wiggle room to go to 50-51cc then the new style Husky 346, Dolmar 5100 and 651 Solo can't be ignored.

Agree.

You will probably find the most gains in a good race chain too.

An older 346 if I was looking for under 50cc engine to tune they are screamers, otherwise it would be a 346NE without hesitation if 50cc was included.

Kansas

attachment.php

What'cha Doing with a fat arsssed 441 box??????????????????

And whats up with your sig line?????????? Quote "Im saving for a Jonservarnee 2153 Turbo"
I thought you were saving up for a six pack of PS420's

Scott

Last edited:
An older 346 if I was looking for under 50cc engine to tune they are screamers, otherwise it would be a 346NE without hesitation if 50cc was included.

Kansas
Although the small time contest I go to are quite loosly run, the classes are 1-2cu. 2-3cu. 3-4cu 4-5cu & above five or open, so I don't know if a 50cc saw could be concidered 3 or under.
BTW I won the under 2cu class with a honmie xl, had the second fastest saw in the under 3cu but 3 other guys run the husky346 which dropped me to fourth, won the under 4cu class with My husky359. Kyle from Edge & Engines
Won the last 2 classes with a Dolmar 7900

Last edited:
Apparently none of you guys have seen a 1960 44cc Mac BP1 with a good chain. Here's a BP1 with round chisel in a 6X6. They really shine when the wood gets bigger since they have gear drive reduction
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvMM_2jMmZg.
Scott
If that saw is stock, I'd have to say it would cut as fast if not faster then a husky 346 by watching the video.

Back