The Hummer "Pick-up"!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
its pretty sad when you drive your "truck" to home depot, and then still have to get them to deliver the materials you bought.

I call those trucks for people who don't want trucks

Another hummer truck at least this one you could get a little work out of.

3274_Pic1.jpg

I hate those things, the original Hummer the military one which are built not to far from me, are okay I could see owning one of those, but since GM put the look of a Hummer on a Suburban or Tahoe chasis, what a joke, it's a ego feeder for people that don't know any better.:givebeer:

Thats got to be the most overpriced pile of :censored: I've ever seen, not even worth calling it a truck :buttkick:

I still get confused when people are talking about Hummers. Takes me a few minutes to figure out which kind they are talking about.:laugh:
In my mind there's still only one kind of Hummer I want.:cheers:

Andy

Backyarder

Here is my old Mog that is actually useful. Am rigging it to clear defensible space around homes on steep slopes.

Backyarder

Oops! No pic.

Here is my old Mog that is actually useful. Am rigging it to clear defensible space around homes on steep slopes. Learning how difficult skylining can be.

Oops! No pic.

Here is my old Mog that is actually useful. Am rigging it to clear defensible space around homes on steep slopes. Learning how difficult skylining can be.

Is that a boom on the back? Are you using it for ground lead yarding, down hill?
More pics and explanations please. We love pics.
There are some people here who can give a lot of good advice on yarding.

Here is my old Mog that is actually useful. Am rigging it to clear defensible space around homes on steep slopes.

Have you got a stationary line for the load to ride on? A block? That's a skyline. To rig one up to go with the load downhill, you'll need a haulback to brake the load and take the carriage back up the hill. Without a haulback line, things can get a little exciting at the bottom. And getting the empty chokers back up the hill a little bit harder. :cheers:

Have you got a stationary line for the load to ride on? A block? That's a skyline. To rig one up to go with the load downhill, you'll need a haulback to brake the load and take the carriage back up the hill. Without a haulback line, things can get a little exciting at the bottom. And getting the empty chokers back up the hill a little bit harder. :cheers:

Oh I don't know. The carriage would certainly get back down to the landing quickly.

The setup was to learn some of the difficulties in steep downhill cable yarding. They are many! In the setup I tried here, the skyline is anchored to a tree on the right and the crane hand winch tightens the skyline through the red block on the right side. I used the right winch to pull the mainline and the left winch (yellow hollow braid poly) to haul back. The little homemade carriage has a line to fix it to a tree at points where I side yard. I made the little 'go devil' sled seen in my first post to try to reduce hangups when pulling across the slope but I found it only works on uphill or flat pulls. I have changed a couple of things since these pictures.
1. I now attach guylines through the blue spreader bar seen in 'self guyed pics' and lower boom to tighten them.
2. The right winch raises skyline through a series of blocks. Winch tension is limited by tightening a nut that pulls on the winch brake release.
3. The left winch is used as a capstan on the poly rope with 5 turns. Tension/slack is provided with the crane winch through another series of blocks. Sorry, no picture of that rigging since I parted the load line with a hangup and moved on to another setting.

Most attachments are scavenged from something else. Unimog 406 is rated to travel on highway at 50mph but I wimp out at about 40 mph with the crane I mounted. Wheelbase is only 93" ya know.

Latest posts

Back