The "Not So Pro" discussion thread...of course Pros are welcome!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that video also shows the rh coast guys why we run 32-36 bars on 70cc saws ,,they work fine here :msp_thumbsup:

I always enjoy watching this video. . . This guy reminds me of watching Ron fall timber. No effort -- just doing.

Then I step up all nervous cause he's eyeballin' me, and look like a monkey humpin' a football. :laugh:

That is a great video. I'd love to be able to cut like that. My last video I wasn't nervous at all. I bet my heart rate was never over 100, and I still looked like a monkey humpin' a football:msp_biggrin:

What's the story with the fire hose in the eye thing?

Another local fire crew(friends of ours)took their type '6' to the ####ey lake Bible Camp to provide water for a GIANT slip and slide. The kids were playin' with a "toy hose" and it got away from one of the kids and my 13 yr. tried to grab it and took a blast of water from a stream nozzle @ 5'. I guess the pump was whindin' pretty good. the best thing is the Doc' anticipates a full recovery.:clap:

Another local fire crew(friends of ours)took their type '6' to the ####ey lake Bible Camp to provide water for a GIANT slip and slide. The kids were playin' with a "toy hose" and it got away from one of the kids and my 13 yr. tried to grab it and took a blast of water from a stream nozzle @ 5'. I guess the pump was whindin' pretty good. the best thing is the Doc' anticipates a full recovery.:clap:

owch, hes a brave little guy to try. I know that had to hurt, glad he will be ok.

owch, hes a brave little guy to try. I know that had to hurt, glad he will be ok.

He is tough as nails for his age:lifter: he has got his own fallin' ax and belt. I let him help me when safety warrants. He was sittin on my lap while i skidded w/ 518 bob-tail at 18 mo. old. not every day of course but he will be able to prove his exp. to the friggin gov't if he ever needs to.:hmm3grin2orange: he ain't all that little. 5'1" and 130 lbs. and he ain't fat!:msp_wink:

it's 90 deg. in the open here and no promise of rain in at least 10 days. Grass hoppers are every were. need some more chickens.

Let me simplify a bit. The falling certification process should in no way be confused with production falling. The whole intent is to try to get folks to do things safely and go home in one piece. If you want to be a production faller, by all means, go find a good faller to learn from, but it sounds like you already are a faller. The FS is interested in safety and not speed. I have not gone through it, I only wanted to buck blowdowns out of my way. I have worked with the FS fallers and there is quite a process to go through just to make sure all people are out of the way.

I realize their fallers are not all great and wonderful. We've got a couple who are, here. But, they've been at it a while. The C faller went through the system and also learned from a local guy who works with the FS as a falling certification consultant and is one of the best, local old growth fallers in our area. He was hurt in a car accident and doesn't fall full time now, but does do the hazard trees that the FS fallers don't want to mess with.

You are not alone. A very good local production faller, who is on my "safe to be near" list, wanted to volunteer and cut down hazard trees along his daughter's school bus route. He was told he had to go through certification and could only be a B faller at most. He gave up. Then they worked out a deal where he could be a contractor and he cut at the rate of $4 a tree. I got in trouble over it, because we had only done a quick drive by. Once you get out and walk, you find a heck of a lot of hazard trees, and he ended up making close to his day wages. I helped pack gear for him and had to listen to criticism of the certification program frequently.

Think two worlds. FS falling and production falling. They are different beasts.

Let me simplify a bit. The falling certification process should in no way be confused with production falling. The whole intent is to try to get folks to do things safely and go home in one piece. If you want to be a production faller, by all means, go find a good faller to learn from, but it sounds like you already are a faller. The FS is interested in safety and not speed. I have not gone through it, I only wanted to buck blowdowns out of my way. I have worked with the FS fallers and there is quite a process to go through just to make sure all people are out of the way.

I realize their fallers are not all great and wonderful. We've got a couple who are, here. But, they've been at it a while. The C faller went through the system and also learned from a local guy who works with the FS as a falling certification consultant and is one of the best, local old growth fallers in our area. He was hurt in a car accident and doesn't fall full time now, but does do the hazard trees that the FS fallers don't want to mess with.

You are not alone. A very good local production faller, who is on my "safe to be near" list, wanted to volunteer and cut down hazard trees along his daughter's school bus route. He was told he had to go through certification and could only be a B faller at most. He gave up. Then they worked out a deal where he could be a contractor and he cut at the rate of $4 a tree. I got in trouble over it, because we had only done a quick drive by. Once you get out and walk, you find a heck of a lot of hazard trees, and he ended up making close to his day wages. I helped pack gear for him and had to listen to criticism of the certification program frequently.

Think two worlds. FS falling and production falling. They are different beasts.

I ain't bitin' other than to say this- I fall the same way-same style- same everything fire or not (less the speed i am required to keep cause you are only as fast as the slowest :censored: on the crew... but he or she has an equal right to be there, too.) I have been ? about my stumps, back-cut height, swinging trees,etc., etc.. my answer is always the same but its along the lines of"you needed me, now i'm here, and you have the nerve to complain". Some one else used a quote on this the other day pertaining to const. or something, less some english it is as close to polite as i can get it for you. There are fires all over that Pro(duction)Loggers can or coulda put out w/ a D8, a coupla fallers(pro) and a decent con-crew. Now we got all sorts a problems in the U.S.......:deadhorse:

nice place, good weather but no oak.:msp_scared:

i know ,no oaks...............just these

olympic-national-park-l.jpg

Latest posts

Back