The "Not So Pro" discussion thread...of course Pros are welcome!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the linkbucks messed up my google chrome ,I cant hear u-tube vids in posts ,can with ie

No cutting tomm. Bob?

I P. ; you mentioned staying in one place and cutting everything that needs cut there.... that is REAL important!!!!!! .its partof the difference between being able to fall a tree and being able to fall a forest. Most of the time its a boring pain in the butt. But. Its one thing thatseperates a pro from a slasher.
And you have to deal with the problems as they come. Don't go past them then have to come back. That's real important. I've seen guys do that and I have NEVER YET seen it work out well. Usually it turned into a death trap. It takes a fair amount of mental desipline to be a professional faller.

I P. ; you mentioned staying in one place and cutting everything that needs cut there.... that is REAL important!!!!!! .its partof the difference between being able to fall a tree and being able to fall a forest. Most of the time its a boring pain in the butt. But. Its one thing thatseperates a pro from a slasher.
And you have to deal with the problems as they come. Don't go past them then have to come back. That's real important. I've seen guys do that and I have NEVER YET seen it work out well. Usually it turned into a death trap. It takes a fair amount of mental desipline to be a professional faller.

I used to do some carpentry, lots of drywall, on a particular job I needed to learn how to tape and mud quickly. I thought it was a horrible job because I was slow, but thats because I'd bounce around. Same concept I suppose, stick with an area until its done, things go quicker and smoother.

I don't usually ever say anything about cutting because I've been out of the game a long time. However to underscore what Tramp said, I was cutting a 20 acre piece that was just about all Cedar and Alder. I was only to dump the Cedar. After I was done "they" decided to have me dump the Alder. I was up to my butt in Cedar limbs. Had an Alder come back at me. Just couldn't get out of the way because of the limbs. Luckily hit my saw and drove the dogs into my thigh. Gooda been worse.

What can you guys haul up there? More than 98k legally? Average is 5mbf (random length, random species hardwood) or 12 cords of pulp. Lighter wood like ash my driver will pile almost 6mbf on. Oak more like 4500bf. If the pulp is nice and straight my pulp trucker can get 14 cords on.

Either way 10mbf or the equivalent is a good 7-8 hour day of cutting depending on the wood. The job I'm cutting now, which is some of the toughest cutting I've had in a while, I've been averaging 6mbf and 8.5 cords. That's a 6-7 hour day of cutting. This job is super pulp heavy, timber is short, and its a lot of soft maple with multiple stems coming out of one stump. Swamp wood. Lots of effort for little return. The other day I stumped 10 sawtimber trees over my head. I've been averaging 50 sawtimber trees a day. That's limb, buck, and pulpin the tops including plenty of pulp trees in the vicinity. Sawtimber has been averaging 2 logs per tree. Like 2 10 footers kind of thing. It sucks. I've cut jobs where they average 4 logs per tree and that's more like 4 12 footers. Can't wait to get the hell out of there. The rain may take care of that for me this weekend though.

Our legal limit is around 150k depending on axle setup. Most guys run 175 ish. Log loads are 8-10000 ft. More if its hauled at night. The heaviest load I've seen would have been in the 225 to 250k range. Heaviest scale off of one of my jobs was 207000. The scales don't go much higher than that. Not too long ago one of the trucks had to roll his steer tires off the edge of the scale to get a reading!.

Pulp loads are 25 cords or so.

A guy I cut for right after high school piece cut 38 cord in one day. Mighty impressive in hardwood.

For all you guys cutting for a living, how many bf on average you get on the ground a day?

Depends on the day... if I'm cutting alone 1 load a day, cutting and skidding... I've done 2 loads solo but it damned near killed me...

Icepick does have leg up on me! My wife is a damn good cook and doesn't take kindly if I deny seconds or thirds...

I feel your pain... kinda why I'm still fat...

Two loads a day regularly?? Piece cutting? Wow. Best I've heard of is two.

for little loads... in good timber it don't take much to make a load, in dog hair hand cutting is a pile of work.

piece I've been working on the LO keeps seeing more trees he wants cut, makes for a real headache to backtrack through it once a week. I would much rather cut it and be done with it. Its bad enough that some of the smaller hemlock is dying down and filling the floor with brush, but then fighting my way through tops and stumps to get two more trees is not ideal... not to mention its mostly a thinning job so I'm already hampered by leave trees.

I would dearly love to find me a nice thick stand of Doug Fir to clear cut right now... but then who wouldn't:tongue2:

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 61
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 62
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 031.jpg
    031.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 032.jpg
    032.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 62
that slash pile i swear is almost an acre. that will look like a nuke when they light it off. a lot of big wood in it. kinda of a waste ,but it's so far out prob not cost effective to haul it out.

Latest posts

Back