The "Not So Pro" discussion thread...of course Pros are welcome!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I second what Joe said. Think about why "dusters" came outta OZ. Keeps ya cool when it's hot, dry when wet, and tough enough to keep briars and such at bay.

Sent using two cans and a string.

OK then, I knew there had to be an explanation. Thx. Let's all just pretend this never happened

Ewww, yeah -- about that. This is going in your permanent record. . . Yeah. . .

syjujyma.jpg

Sent using two cans and a string.

I'm considering getting a massively oversize hickory shirt (zipper front) and treating it with the toilet ring/ linseed oil... maybe get some really f'ing big dickies pants and give em the same treatment? Won't be as tough as Filsons but at least I'll still be able to pay the mortgage at the end of the year.

Get some heavy duty overalls like carhartts or the like. Then get some Sno seal, Hubbards boot gears and boot oil, and then several tins of the filsons wax treatment. Heat it all up together, and mix well. Then warm up the fabric in the dryer or by the stove. Then next step should be done in the shop, get a paint brush and slather it all over, the hang by the stove in the shop over night to soak in good.

Do not wear in anything that isn't called the crummy or crew bus. It will last a good long time is pennies on the dollar to real tin gear.

Let us know how it works out for ya. I have seen two guys do this in the past and it worked well for them. It does leach into the clothing worn under though.

Owl

I'm considering getting a massively oversize hickory shirt (zipper front) and treating it with the toilet ring/ linseed oil... maybe get some really f'ing big dickies pants and give em the same treatment? Won't be as tough as Filsons but at least I'll still be able to pay the mortgage at the end of the year.
I'm on day four of this storm, lots of rain, haven't gotten wet yet. Are they Filson's? No. Do they work? Yep.

Spending 2 nights in my wife's college friends husband's condo on the slopes of vail. 15 million dollar, 6000 sq ft penthouse. Some women marry better than others.
Jon, do me a favor and check if I still have a warrant in Vail, would ya? I don't really remember that night, but I'm sure the cops do.

What's this "stove in the shop" concept about?

Aint'cha got a wood stove in yer shop? I think that's almost a requirement around here. Let's see we got a Fisher in the basement shop, an Orley in the other, and I think this winter we're gonna build a stove for the barn too. Ya gotsta do something or the refreshments is gonna freeze up. Then where would ya be?

Speaking of stoves in the shop, I'll cut and paste this from the firewood board. This may turn into the barn heater, who knows.

********************************************************************************************

OK time for another project with the kiddos.

Please save all the insurance, emissions, EPA, wood eater, smoke dragons are evil, baby seals are gonna die, etc. type stuff.

This is just a plain ole fun project for the kids and me to tackle this winter as we have some time for it. May finish or it may finish next winter, we'll see how it goes.

Hodge podge away, mix match come up with something good. This may end up being the sit around the fire in the driveway stove for us. Or it may wind up busted down and reused in other projects later, who knows. It will not be put into service until and unless I deem it safe.

Here is what we have thought up so far:

Has to be a barrel, we found some 24" pipe, .375 walls. 5' long. Will have to be cut way down.
There has to be a cooking surface so, the kids would like to use heavy diamond plate for that.

That's it so far.

Leg, door, air intake, all the rest........ Any ideas? Creative is what we are after, re purposing is way cool, looks is a factor also.

We did find some how some place high temp pink paint, I was told this is a must have for this project.

What say the masses.

Owl

I think a double barrel would really put out the heat, but not sure about the spacing between the 2 to have a cooking surface.
We had a double barrel in the shop growing up, about 2' spacing. Worked great, just needed welding gloves to get the coffee pot off the diamond plate.

Latest posts

Back