The "Not So Pro" discussion thread...of course Pros are welcome!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beer, check. Wiskey, check. Big fire, check. 4wd, ( come on, it's Texas, ) big check. Call ex to make up, no answer, leave message, check. Call her sister, check. Max out credit card with Treestuff, check. Ex calls back, WTH, Check...........

Wait a minute, it's just ice?!? Like the stuff we put beer in? It goes away?!? It's not the end of the world? Hoh boy, gotta go.
You sound good jolly Jeff, you sound good. Glad to hear it

Homemade Tin Pants

1 pair Carhartts or Dickies cotton duck pants ( I like the double knee, amazon.com for 23.99)
Beeswax ( Don't laugh, I use toilet rings, just make sure they're beeswax, 1.99 )
Linseed oil (If you can't find raw, boiled is fine but add a tablespoon of baking soda to reduce the acidity 7.99 )

Melt the beeswax and add the linseed oil. Stir well. I put my pants ( or jacket, or hat, etc.) on an old tarp, to reduce the mess. Paint the solution on with a disposable paintbrush. Be generous, it's kind of a wax on, wax off type process. Then, for pants, I'll usually take a blowdryer and a few old rags, and heat an area, and rub it in, paying close attention to the seams. Then wipe the excess off. Another method I have used is an old iron, to really penetrate. If you want, you can add a little orange oil to reduce the linseed oil smell, but I kind of like it, reminds me of an old baseball glove. Let em hang For a couple days, and you're good to go. You're basically making oilcloth. I think Filsons uses paraffin these days, but I like the beeswax better. Never wash em, and reapply as needed. Jeff

Homemade Tin Pants

1 pair Carhartts or Dickies cotton duck pants ( I like the double knee, amazon.com for 23.99)
Beeswax ( Don't laugh, I use toilet rings, just make sure they're beeswax, 1.99 )
Linseed oil (If you can't find raw, boiled is fine but add a tablespoon of baking soda to reduce the acidity 7.99 )

Melt the beeswax and add the linseed oil. Stir well. I put my pants ( or jacket, or hat, etc.) on an old tarp, to reduce the mess. Paint the solution on with a disposable paintbrush. Be generous, it's kind of a wax on, wax off type process. Then, for pants, I'll usually take a blowdryer and a few old rags, and heat an area, and rub it in, paying close attention to the seams. Then wipe the excess off. Another method I have used is an old iron, to really penetrate. If you want, you can add a little orange oil to reduce the linseed oil smell, but I kind of like it, reminds me of an old baseball glove. Let em hang For a couple days, and you're good to go. You're basically making oilcloth. I think Filsons uses paraffin these days, but I like the beeswax better. Never wash em, and reapply as needed. Jeff
Waxed cotton is old school. . . Lots of different recipes out there.
A lot if guys don't like the linseed oil cause of the smell. Other oils can be used. Right now I have leather treating wax that's similar to Obenaufs. It's beeswax, grapeseed oil, and a dab of paraffin.

Sent using two cans and a string.

On the subject of filsons... when I was newly married my lovely wife helped me out by throwing my crusty fils on coat in the washer. I came out kinda funky. Shortly after I started working in cabs full time and haven't worn it since.

Can I resurrect it with a rub down of wax or oil or some such?

I'm assuming it still fits? Also to get it fully re-waxed you can send it back to Filson and they will re-wax it by dipping it back in the tank. I've hand redone mine and it was an hour or two job but it was still waxed, I just needed more on it lol Just like anything it will cost but it will ensure it's back in the seams and hard to reach places. I forget how much it costs but it might be worth it for a full re-waxing.

Homemade Tin Pants

Just remember the raw linseed oil spoils too. I had a good jacket, treated with raw oil, , which I left by accident in a warm closet when it was wet, and it grew mold in few days. I can assure that's smelly. I had to burn it.

Boiled linseed oil doesn't feed mold no more, but it makes the fabric really hard. Especially between legs. Cracking is possible.

Ok, so I have to reaffirm my clueless outsider status, and these recipes are awesome, but why? Waterproof clothing has come a long way, is fairly inexpensive, and quite comfortable. Why make and wear this smelly, cracky stuff?

Back