The "Not So Pro" discussion thread...of course Pros are welcome!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In what situation would you not want the tree to start turning right away? I guess stuff happens slower when u'r good, but when a tree starts go i don't feel as though I have a whole lotta time to make things happen, what with all the running and screaming and such....

LOL! Husk, they come around pretty slow. On my back cut I start at the opposing corner from the swing corner, as you come in with your back cut you kind of make a triangle hinge, as you progressively come into the swing corner is when your tree starts coming around. If you look up and watch the top w/o getting dizzy, you can watch the entire swing. I bail when I get to around an 1 or 1 1/2 hinge on the swing side...then let 'er rip down the stump.

disclaimer...this from my experience...may not be the proper way

The biggest thing is look up, you gotta watch that top, not just for falling debris but to see where its going. If you can catch it early you can usually stall it just enough to correct if necessary, or hog one side or the other to get it to turn a little harder or softer...

That and planning ahead a little bit seem to help... knowing before you start the face cut what type of cuts your going to try is a big help.

I turned the saw up and put the handle on the kitchen floor and leveled the bar, the full wrap is going to be too high for most timber. It will come in handy on the bigger stuff and anytime I get the opportunity to use it..well I guess I could use it to face with on slopes where I have the extra room also. I like the feel of the turned over saw, I was figuring it would feel really awkward...but it's rather comfortable. Probably take a tree or two to see how it feels facing like that.

I turned the saw up and put the handle on the kitchen floor and leveled the bar, the full wrap is going to be too high for most timber. It will come in handy on the bigger stuff and anytime I get the opportunity to use it..well I guess I could use it to face with on slopes where I have the extra room also. I like the feel of the turned over saw, I was figuring it would feel really awkward...but it's rather comfortable. Probably take a tree or two to see how it feels facing like that.

Put 32" iron on that saw -- & that full-wrap handle can stay. I can slick'em off at the ground all day long w/o the handle being a bother. ;-)

With what being said, my cousin fell timber fir 25 years and used a half-wrap the whole time. . . Said he hates full-wraps. 2-each-his-own. :)

Sent from my Bic RaZor

Back