The Official Woodchuker81 70cc Saw Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Woodchucker where is to 681

I want to see a video of it now after being redone I talked to Eric the other day and he said it flies . Is it still holding up? I have a brand new one well its on it's 3rd tank then off to get wildly ported it is going to be my show off saw. Any advice.

I bought my Jonsered 2172 three days ago and already filled up my woodshed. its a fast cutting saw powerful too. next week im cutting some rock maple for the sawmill. dosn't get any better than a 70cc saw

Something like this?

IMG_2979.jpg

or this?

IMG_3778.jpg

At what point did 039 become MS390? Is it the same saw that they just changed the designation of one year?

That saw was actually an old skool 029. It has an 039 top end on it and it's ported. It's a modular saw capable of wearing 3 different top ends. The 290 is 56cc, the 310 is 59cc, and the 390 is 64cc. When I bought the "390" top end for the 029 it was listed as an 039 jug and slug - t'is is the same parts that come on a brand spankin' MS390.

I believe the differences between the 029/290, 039/390 are so minimal that they are almost non existent or there is no difference at all. There are the flippy caps and the change of the tanks to make that all work and such - but as far as actual working mechanical stuff under the hood, I'm damn near certain it's all the same. BloodOnTheIce or a know it all Stihl head would have enough information to be 100% certain. As far as I'm aware though they're the exact same saw.....

Last edited:
That saw was actually an old skool 029. It has an 039 top end on it and it's ported. It's a modular saw capable of wearing 3 different top ends. The 290 is 56cc, the 310 is 59cc, and the 390 is 64cc. When I bought the "390" top end for the 029 it was listed as an 039 jug and slug - t'is is the same parts that come on a brand spankin' MS390.

I believe the differences between the 029/290, 039/390 are so minimal that they are almost non existent or there is no difference at all. BloodOnTheIce or a know it all Stihl head would have enough information to be 100% certain. As far as I'm aware though they're the exact same saw.....

Hmm. This spring i was cutting a huge pine tree up w/ my ms390 w/ the 24", and my friend was running his ms290 w/ 20" bar. Both saws relatively new and stock, and i outcut him by a consistently faster rate. You could definately hear the 4-5 cc difference between them as they ran.

Latest posts

Back