The Stihl Turbo Whistle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodTruk

Fiddle w/it, maybe break it; THEN read directions.
Reaction score
Hey all,
Long time lurker, but I never thought my first post would be about this. I hope this is in the right place. If not, someone'll kick me to where I belong, I'm sure.

I have 3 Stihls, an MS250, an 026, and just a few months ago, fell into a sweet deal on an MS460. What a whole new world it is with that 460 in it! It's my go-to, even for smaller stuff.
My question is this: When you give it some throttle, my 460 has a whistle that sounds like a turbo on a vehicle. It increases in pitch all the way up to full throttle. The 250 and the 026 don't have this whistle. A buddy has a 391 and it also has the whistle. Other guys I cut with have a variety of stuff, mostly homeowner type saws, but nothing whistles but our 2 saws.

Why is this?

I have posted the same on a video someone posted here of their saw. I have been thinking about it, and conclude it most probably is the chain driver engaging the teeth on the chain as it rotates. It is a quiet saw and so we can hear it.

I have posted the same on a video someone posted here of their saw. I have been thinking about it, and conclude it most probably is the chain driver engaging the teeth on the chain as it rotates. It is a quiet saw and so we can hear it.
Interesting...I thought maybe it was the difference between a HO and a 'Pro' saw. That somehow the engine/exhaust/overall function was different or functioned at a 'professional' type tuning and thus created the noise. Good ideas though!

Put a dula port muffler cover and a hd 3 filter on it ,and it will go away
Don't think I haven't thought about a DP muffler/filter upgrade already! You guys on here are the best at living by my motto: If it's worth doing, it's worth over-doing!

Yea, after I bought my 660 I noticed a high whining noise about it, most peculiar sound. Even on youtube videos I can tell right off if the guy is running a 660. Ive always wondered if the smaller saws had the same kickass whine, maybe one day I'll find out...

All saw makes and models sound different. Displacement and muffler design probably biggest factors. I showed up to a job yesterday and our other crew was working a few houses away, and I said "I hear a Stihl 660!" Husqvarnas I can usually tell by sound; their mufflers must be different than Stihl's.

Actually, I think you'll find the 'whistle' is due to the tight fit of the 'air dam' (plastic shield behind the starter) has over the flywheel. Stihl makes that gap tight in the newer, bigger saws so more air is thrown over the cylinder. That's why keeping the top cover in good shape is critical (it guides air over the cylinder.) I've always noticed the whistle is more pronounced on the polymer flywheel saws.

We may have a winner! Guess I'll find out when and if I go the DP muffler route. How difficult is tuning after a simple muffler/air filter swap?
when mine had the red limiters untouched it ran perfect adjusted as rich as it would go on the H ,i can't remember on the L ,i am close to sea level ,if you pull the red caps start at 1 to 1 1/8 turns out on each and tweak from there

Interesting...I thought maybe it was the difference between a HO and a 'Pro' saw. That somehow the engine/exhaust/overall function was different or functioned at a 'professional' type tuning and thus created the noise. Good ideas though!
I also have a MS 460 and it too made your "ghost" sound lol. I did the poor guy muffler mod and cut the baffle out and opened up the exit on side of muffler, and noise gone. Either that or it's so loud now that said noise has no chance of being heard again. Good luck with er

I've heard it too, I think it's a engine displacement thing. First time I heard it was a Husqvarna 575xp, but have heard it in a few different 60cc+ saws since.

Back