The ultimate muffler mod thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a jonsered/husky 672. I'd like to add a couple 3/4" tubes to the muffler. I don't really want to cut the muffler in half to drill out or remove the baffle. If I did, is there any meaning behind recessing these 3/4" tubes 1/2" - 1" into the can? I've heard of it and thought I'd ask.

It wont really make a difference if its still baffled but on an empty can it'll hold pressure better if they're recessed a half inch or so

If you could find a 670/266 muffler it would work great there already empty, I just drilled a hole on the opposite side and used a deflector from a 254 on it.

Just wanted to give this thread a bump...
Here what I did to the muffler on my ported 066.
The side port has been opened up to a 5/8" round hole with the original deflector and I put a pair of 5/8" round holes in the front cover with short pipes. The whole front of the inside baffle was cut away and everything got port matched when installed. The saw sounds good to me. It's has a nice "popping" sound at idle and "roars" (not screams) when cuttingimage.jpg image.jpg

Did a simple muffler mod to a 661 that has been masterminded.

Took the baffle out and enlarged the exhaust opening to about 3/4-1 inch size hole.

The guy didn't want a loud saw and it's quieter than the 660 I have with a hole in the side that's twice as large yet.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    808.6 KB · Views: 45
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    830.5 KB · Views: 42
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    701.1 KB · Views: 40
c9e49b7b3f99636cb2f75a2639b05867.jpg

My 4th 346xp muffler after painting. The cylinder and piston will be sended in the USA.

Did a simple muffler mod to a 661 that has been masterminded.

Took the baffle out and enlarged the exhaust opening to about 3/4-1 inch size hole.

The guy didn't want a loud saw and it's quieter than the 660 I have with a hole in the side that's twice as large yet.
Nice job! Now switch that spark screen out for a bigger mesh one!
b71cd1ac49a624eb0edfa11a809f30a7.jpg

Can you make me one like that?

I'm glad you like it. It is pretty easy to do, I just removed the stock deflector, cleaned everything, enlarged the stock port, then I build a deflector with a piece of inox steel, bolted it on the muffler.

Then, I used BBQ paint (800°C) and I put the whole thing in the kiln for an hour at 180°C.

I did not like the stock muffler on my homelite 410 so I just made a new one. I had some scraps of stainless laying around and came up with a pattern.
9d8bd486e4d95d2fc94b48a469f65020.jpg
68d72c2e6a787339a4d8706f9f00018b.jpg
db16f599d07a4ae298ad0ea62e9ebe2d.jpg

Looks like a great start. Spray that puppy and let's see it on the saw! Any worry about setting wood on fire?

Nice fabbing skills. I see a small hole in the bead around the exit port, but it looks like a good design. Nice saw. That homie is aging gracefully.

It is tig welded from the inside also. I like to build stuff on my projects.I am thinking of building a full wrap next. I might sell the pair of 410's that I have and look for a 272 project. I would like a big older husky.

Back