the ultimate Stih flippy cap poll ...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your opinion on the Stihl flippy caps

• Total voters
Hmmmm, if condoms showed a simular failure rate as them flippy caps....durex would have been outta business a long time ago...and the world would have probably seen a few more little Thalls around...don't know if that would have been a good thing or not ....:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

PS. I noticed a lot of biased Stihlheads in the pro votes...LOLOL

Hahaha. Welp if you notice I did not vote at all. The proof is in the numbers ole chap. The flippy cap outperforms the old screw type cap. How do we know, by the number of replacement caps sold. Now the flippy is a cap that does reqiure alittle more effort than the screw cap, no question on that. To date I myself have never had one leak or come off while in use. I have around 25-30 units of my own with that flippy cap.

I keep a running total of units sold at the shop and on my list is almost 4000 units sold with flippy caps. I have sold maybe 15-20 replacement caps for those 4000 units. The old style screw in cap I've sold hundreds of but that doesn't make them a bad cap either. There were millions of Stihls outthere before the flippy cap was introduce so of course more screw type caps will be replaced.

As for all these caps coming off while in use and dumping fuel down the leg the fact is they weren't put on right and the spill 99 times out of a 100 occured the second the saw was pick up off its side. That my man is operator error, not cap. Like I said they do reqiure alittle more effort when putting them on.

I do agree with you Stihl did not forsee the problems with these caps. They had no idea how many people would be completely at awwww with these simple little caps. Why even my own brother has dumped fuel down his leg after refueling his 361. He was complaining about those caps on Thanksgiving at the table. My other brother told him welp they're suppose to be dummy proof but obviously Stihl didn't take you into account. My brother groweled and fumned while we laffed our azz off,LOLOLOLOL

Hahaha. Welp if you notice I did not vote at all. The proof is in the numbers ole chap. The flippy cap outperforms the old screw type cap. How do we know, by the number of replacement caps sold. Now the flippy is a cap that does reqiure alittle more effort than the screw cap, no question on that. To date I myself have never had one leak or come off while in use. I have around 25-30 units of my own with that flippy cap.

I keep a running total of units sold at the shop and on my list is almost 4000 units sold with flippy caps. I have sold maybe 15-20 replacement caps for those 4000 units. The old style screw in cap I've sold hundreds of but that doesn't make them a bad cap either. There were millions of Stihls outthere before the flippy cap was introduce so of course more screw type caps will be replaced.

As for all these caps coming off while in use and dumping fuel down the leg the fact is they weren't put on right and the spill 99 times out of a 100 occured the second the saw was pick up off its side. That my man is operator error, not cap. Like I said they do reqiure alittle more effort when putting them on.

I do agree with you Stihl did not forsee the problems with these caps. They had no idea how many people would be completely at awwww with these simple little caps. Why even my own brother has dumped fuel down his leg after refueling his 361. He was complaining about those caps on Thanksgiving at the table. My other brother told him welp they're suppose to be dummy proof but obviously Stihl didn't take you into account. My brother groweled and fumned while we laffed our azz off,LOLOLOLOL

Tommie,

Make this simple for me please. Are you saying that the Belgian is your dumb brother?

Wow,

ole joat

How do we know, by the number of replacement caps sold.

My dealer tells me he sells lots of flippy caps,,,,, But you oughta see the number of short busses we have running around these parts!! I have broken two and I rode the long bus, I swear I did

My dealer tells me he sells lots of flippy caps,,,,, But you oughta see the number of short busses we have running around these parts!! I have broken two and I rode the long bus, I swear I did

Butch,

It was all done with mirrors my friend.

So sorry,

ole joat

Tommie,

Make this simple for me please. Are you saying that the Belgian is your dumb brother?

Wow,

ole joat

Course not, why Brother Belgian is anything but dumb. He's my freind across the water. When he comes to the states one day I shall take him behind the shed and sit him upon a stump. I will bring out a saw with a flippy cap and together we shall overcome,hehehehe

i think only those that have run frankien saws with both flippy and twist caps on the same saw realy know what its all about.

Flippy caps exist because hippies work in stihl R&D. No really, why do cadillac parts cost more than chevy parts? Because they can. From my experience stihl saws are a little overengineered to begin with, just the nature of the beast.:cheers:

Flippy caps exist because hippies work in stihl R&D. No really, why do cadillac parts cost more than chevy parts? Because they can. From my experience stihl saws are a little overengineered to begin with, just the nature of the beast.:cheers:

Not over engineered, but rather change for the sake of change.

It is my humble opinion and commonsense that they should have made the caps at least interchangeable, that way if they had a guy like me that thinks the screw has worked for thousand years why change it;I would be rewarded for my genius. It is also my belief and opinion that half share my opinion and in conclusion, they are missing the point. Why attempt to improve on a thousand year proved item when you have better things to engineer, like better air filtration and ergonomics. Good for husky they did.

Rope, I really value your common sense. I believe you really hit the nail with the above comment. :bowdown::cheers:

But alas, all new gas tanks for new models are designed for the the flippy cap, so I bet they are here to stay. We'll have to get used to perform a little more effort (as Thall rightly stated) to close the most simple thing in the saw history ...a cap :buttkick:

Love the "flippy caps"! Most of our saws at work have the screw in style, and more often then not some knuckle head overtightens them and then the slot gets hogged out making them a bugger to take off. My .02

Course not, why Brother Belgian is anything but dumb. He's my freind across the water. When he comes to the states one day I shall take him behind the shed and sit him upon a stump. I will bring out a saw with a flippy cap and together we shall overcome,hehehehe

Thank you master. We understand each other.

Now that being said, I'll be looking forward sitting on that stump with you and break that flippy cap per accident and say...oh, I am so sorry....NOT...:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

It's a bit silly actually, seeing grown men having these discussions about something so unsignificant as a fuel cap. I remember when BMW, the leading car producer here in europe, introduced the "intelligent knob" to control all car accessories such as radio, navigation, airco, etc on their 7 series. It was promoted as the best invention since coca cola. In reality, BMW lost many loyal customers because it was too complicated to use. They couldn't crawl backwards but they have invested tons of money in new software to make it more simple to use.

I myself prefer still that little knob for tuning a radio, instead of all the high tech stuff. I won't buy a car without it.

Many engineers don't realise that people like simple solutions.

:cheers:

Love the "flippy caps"! Most of our saws at work have the screw in style, and more often then not some knuckle head overtightens them and then the slot gets hogged out making them a bugger to take off. My .02

Just stating Thall here ...... "that, my friend, is operator error" !:agree2:

guys, holy crap, it's not that difficult a mechanism to master!!:bang: No voodoo involved, put it in the same way you took it out and twist!!, Never leak, never overtightens, no need to grab a scrench

Neener, neener, neener. You can't catch us:greenchainsaw:

:ices_rofl: This is not about who's right or wrong actually, it's only a matter of opinion. If I were Stihl, I'd be not too proud of the vote result anyway.

It may have occurred to you that the female sawyers on this forum voted for the old style caps. That is an overwhelming argument, as there is no person better suited than a woman to judge the practical side of things.

That is one of the many elements of "girl power" :bowdown::bowdown::laugh:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back