things that annoy climbers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
there isnt a real lot that doesnt annoy climbers,the better the climber the more petty the whinge.we all started somewhere its just we dont like to think back on those hack days

I think I'm pretty easy going. But there's one thing that sends me frigging ballistic...

PEOPLE WHO DON'T FOLLOW MY INSTRUCTIONS.

new guy here,

to reiterate:

Dog SH>>, Saw starts fine on the ground, gas cap undone and gas everywhere, me the one who forgot!

getting my saw pinched....While someone's watching. Sawdust in eyes, navel, arse, socks, truck.
Traffic: cars and deaf pedestrians
Rain every day (I live in B.C.)
Me sweatin all day, groundman having tea with customer.
Rocking a freshly sharpened saw.

I have come up with a good solution to having dog poop in the yard. Im gonna start carrying a pitching wedge in the truck and when ever I show up to a job site that is full of land mines I will just practice my golf swing on the little piles.Hitting the house is a birdie, the car is an eagle, and if you can get it through an open window, well then its a hole in one, of course.

Kenn

One of the many things that annoy me is old folks who want to help. You want to thank the gesture, but there are serious liability issues with an elderly person trying to help you work. The biggest thing is old folks who start to sweep and clean up half way through the job. :dizzy: I watch them start to sweep saw dust off a porch, then go inside. And this will repeat through out the job. :cry: Drives me crazy!

You always know its gonna be fun when you show up for the bid and you ring the door bell and half a dozen poodles go bizerk, mean while the home owner is having trouble un locking the door. You know you got a seniors discount coming when it takes the home owner 5 minutes to unlock the door.

Out on a limb-don't be slagging old people, they are the only ones who were nice to us doing utility work, they knew we were doing a good thing keeping the power on, and they usually respect guys that work. Biggest annoyance for me lately was climbing a big old red cedar, like 6' at the butt, the bark kept slabbing out on me for about 80' up the tree. And I wear long gaffs too, it kept getting stuck against the spur and the gaff. Hard to spurless with caulks.... don't go there.

Looking for missing groundsman only to spot him over by the truck talking on his cell phone to his girlfriend.:angry2: Almost fired him for that one.

This is an old thread so I read the whole thing. Made me laugh at all the whining about throwlines, bags etc. getting caught, not going where wanted...and yet I get told all the time how fast and easy spurless is, which got me thinking about something else. I was looking at rope rescue in search, how is it you are supposed to put on your spurs to rescue someone who is hurt instead of just throwing and setting the little gay line if it is, in fact faster? Might hurt the tree after all, what don't you care about the tree anymore, just because someone is hurt? Ha,ah,ha,ah,ha too funny....

Sort of Coy, the advice was appreciated. I quit and got a job out in the bush, no cleanup, no chipper, no treehuggers, more money...yay.

clearance said:
I was looking at rope rescue in search, how is it you are supposed to put on your spurs to rescue someone who is hurt instead of just throwing and setting the little gay line if it is, in fact faster? Might hurt the tree after all, what don't you care about the tree anymore, just because someone is hurt? Ha,ah,ha,ah,ha too funny....

Well, yeah. Duh. People are more important than trees.

Did you think you proved a point or something?

As a matter of fact Mark, I have to some degree, not exactly "proved" to the Supreme Court level, but like said, I often hear people beak off about how spurless is faster and easier. If this was truly so, why do the spurs come on as soon as someones life is on the line? And why like I have already said, all the whining about throwlines, bags, getting stuck? I don't hear about steelcores getting stuck. And, if people are more important than trees, why all the opposition to doing utility work with spurs?. Spurs are far more safe to climb with around power, if people come first, like you and I believe, why the snivelling?. It is funny to use the search and find out what people say about the reality of spurless climbing when they are not trying to say its the best way ever in another thread....I find it hilarious.

Groundmen that jerk the rope
Customers that scrutinize every move
Having to come back tomorrow to finish up
Spider bites, ticks, chiggers ,etc...
Wind that wont stop blowing the wrong way
Groundmen that pretend that they can't hear you,
when you know dam well they can....

-

ground menthat are slower then 60 year old formen
cross arm w/ crappy old ambeductor copper cable
dropping the end of a long cable and dropping a washer or nut
wisper chippers
explaining why i do not prun w/ spikes
dull drill bits w/a hand brace
pinching skin between sliding D
cabling @20 below
yo!

dull chainsaws

someone uses your saw and hits a rock
doesnt sharp it

having a ground guy who is so addicted to Pepsi that he needs like 6 a day
one day he forgets
and starts throwing things around the yard

ground guy who 'accidently" throws your rope into the chipper with the brush
while you are still in the Linden
thank god for sharp handsaws

they're standing there whith branches everywhere while your out on the end of some sketchy branch working your butt off.

Mature virgin pin oaks, impatient crane operators who drop you at high speed through the canopy, briars, poison ivy, mud butt, missing happy hour and salesmen who talk a big game but have never climbed a day in their lives.

I just got rid of a groundman, and this is the truth . I had to tell him"""" your other left""" more than 1 time. This guy was so bad i felt sorry for him, but when your 60 feet up and he was in a far away galaxy, it did make for a frustrating time.

Back