Thinkin bout a 441

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihlfarmer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
howdy i havent been on in a while but its been fun to catch up I have been considering a new stihl 441 to replace an 038 I currently have a 440 and really like it and i do know where there is a new one available as well as a new 441 so i have my choice just wondering how those of you who have 441 like them thanks

(no need to even mention any other brands as far as i am concerned they dont exist) :chainsaw:

howdy i havent been on in a while but its been fun to catch up I have been considering a new stihl 441 to replace an 038 I currently have a 440 and really like it and i do know where there is a new one available as well as a new 441 so i have my choice just wondering how those of you who have 441 like them thanks

(no need to even mention any other brands as far as i am concerned they dont exist) :chainsaw:

After trying one out a friends 441 it is a very nice saw......I just cant afford to buy one yet.....;) ;)

I have a 440 and a 441. Like the he!l out of both of them. The 441 is a smoother saw, better filtration, and not as thirsty. The 440 is a bit lighter and feels little better in the hands IMO. Of the two, the 440 is tried and proven, whereas the 441 is cutting its teeth. Personally, I find it hard to hands down recommend one over the other. You can Mod a 440 more, but if you're not going to Mod...go ahead and try out the 441...again, I enjoy owning both. Maybe there's your answer...buy them both. Have I confused you...sorry! :hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
i wasn't impressed.

but i do have a 372xp.the 440 is a better saw all around.broaden your search.they are out there.a few dealers here have them on the shelves still.

if i were you i'd spend the extra $ and get the ms460.awesome saw and has much better torque than the 441 and weighs about the same.if you have a dolmar dealer in your area you owe it to yourself to look at the 7900.

you heard him guys...

(no need to even mention any other brands as far as i am concerned they dont exist)

Just to clarify, does this mean I'm not supposed to point out how the 372 is twice the saw the 441 is? Am I not supposed to mention that the 7900 has the 441 whipped in power and price?

Just to clarify, does this mean I'm not supposed to point out how the 372 is twice the saw the 441 is? Am I not supposed to mention that the 7900 has the 441 whipped in power and price?

Yes, it does mean you can't exaggerate or lie about other brands:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
i wouldn't say the 372 is twice the saw a 441 is.

it is a better saw though.i don't understand why anyone would buy the 441 over the 460 though.

A guy makes a post asking aspecifically about a Stihl saw, and you guys chime in on Dolmar and Husky. Perhaps English is like, a 3rd language for y'all? Personally I will probably never buy a Husky, and I cannot for the life of me find a Dolmar dealer within 100 miles of me. I may buy a 7900, if I can find one in this state to try out. I think that is unlikely though, as the last Dolmar dealer I checked out in Salem listed on the official Dolmar dealer web site was boarded up with a chain link fence around it.

As for the 460 beating the 440 or the 441, that is a matter of taste, and preference. 'Round here in the land of big-a$$ Doug firs, the 440 is king of chainsaws. Period. I had a 460. I did not like it and I returned it. I posted a few threads here in AS using it. I actually liked the 440 I ran better than the 460. The 441 is smooth... but it is weird with the outer springs and the strato carb held me off from buying one. They also seem to not run so great at altitude. If you like the 440, I would stick with that. They can still be found, there are parts available for them, and they can be modded. Tried and true, and beloved by many a sawyer in these parts.

stihlfarmer, I traded in a perfect 044 for a MS441 over a year ago. I am just a serious firewood cutter, not a logger by any means. I love the 441, very smooth power band and the anti-vibe is great. I went with the 441 over the 440 because I tend to like new technology, that is just a personal quirk of mine. I think I bought the second 441 my dealer sold, they were still in the back room, he wanted to sell his 440's first. I would highly recomend the 441, I am sure you will be well pleased.

I bought a 441 so I could have something to get me out of a jamb and to semi-retire my FIL's older saw. It has become my primary saw for everything. I cut firewood with it and it has handled everything up to and including 48" diameter post oak W/O a single complaint. I have used it from 5 degrees to 105 [when I cut the big post oak]. It is easier on Gas than my FIL's 55cc saw and also is easier on oil than any saw I have used, still the chain is properly lubricated as I have always had ample oil on the chain and it does still sling oil. I have only cut about 20 cords with this saw [Wood is 12" long though{ Don't ask}] so the saw is still quite young by most standards. This saw will cut anything you want to handle without Large equipment to handle it. It is smooth enough that my wife with her Peripheral vascular disease can handle it with out risking any attacks, so I think that white finger is going to be a thing of the past with this saw.

I've been real happy with my 440. Never run a 441, and depending on which post you read here people either like them or hate them. The reason I went with the 440 over the 441 is because the price tag was a little smaller and it was the last one on the dealer's shelf..(although they did manage to find one more after my cousin used mine and decided he wanted one:D ).. Anyways.. I'm sure the 441 is a good saw but don't be afraid of a 440!!

One heck of a smooth saw.

According to the regional stihl sales rep in this area, they claim the 441 will often outcut the 460 in softwoods. The 460 will pull ahead in large hardwoods but the difference is measured in fractions of seconds. I think it has to do with the torque band in the 441.

I believe the 441 will truly step up as the next generation 440. I fully understand how many absolutely love the 044/440 as it is tried and trued and been around for a number of years. In 10 years I suspect the same will be said concerning the 441.

My personal take on my 441 is that it is very well manored beast that ranges on the slightly heavy for my taste. My 361 is my "go to" saw. I also have a couple 7900's which are awful fun to run. Even though the 7900's have more power and torque, I find the 441(R) has better chip control and doesn't jam up as bad as the 7900's especially when making noodles. I think that has to do with the larger cover on the 441 wrap(R). I also don't believe I've noticed a lot of speed difference in the size of wood I'm normally cutting(less than 24") between the saws.

As far as the 372xp is concerned, I think it is a fantastic saw and would love to add one to my arsenal. I've only run one. I think it is a wee bit lighter and about the same power. I would consider it more an equal to the 441, not twice the saw as others have claimed.

441 over the 440. Both are excellent saws. The 441 has a bit more torque and cuts a bit faster. It pulls a 28" bar very well, even full comp. It sips fuel. Excellent throttle response means I usually use it for the limbing even.

I've ported mine now and it has more power, but the stock saw was the favorite of mine to run. Before I bought mine I compared it to the 7300, 372 and 440 in the same wood and the decision was easy.

441 over the 440. Both are excellent saws. The 441 has a bit more torque and cuts a bit faster. It pulls a 28" bar very well, even full comp. It sips fuel. Excellent throttle response means I usually use it for the limbing even.

I've ported mine now and it has more power, but the stock saw was the favorite of mine to run. Before I bought mine I compared it to the 7300, 372 and 440 in the same wood and the decision was easy.

You ported your 441? I thought that was taboo?

Back