Thinking of buying new Stihl 280

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The funny thing is my neighbor is also getting a new saw and we have been having these discussions while working on my little Homelite 240XL. I mentioned the 260 to him today and he said he wanted to research it so your advise will be delivered to him in the morning. I figure that the better quality is worth the extra $40:cheers:

One more quick question before signing off...Is it true that you can only use Stihl chains on a Stihl saw? What if you kill a chain on a Sunday and the only one you can get is an Oregon from a local hardware store??:dizzy:

One more quick question before signing off...Is it true that you can only use Stihl chains on a Stihl saw? What if you kill a chain on a Sunday and the only one you can get is an Oregon from a local hardware store??:dizzy:

You can use any brand saw chain you please on any brand saw you choose as long as the pitch and gauge are correct.

:cheers:

Well that makes sense. I had another dealer try to send me down that road and my first thought was that he was blowing smoke up my :censored:...
At least that helped me nail down where I was going to make the purchase. We have a very reputable place near my town that I will be going to this coming Friday. I have manged to round up more than 18 cord which my pal and I are sharing. That will give us a good work out for sure:greenchainsaw:

You can use any brand saw chain you please on any brand saw you choose as long as the pitch and gauge are correct.

:cheers:

AND the link count.

Only made that mistake once. Pulled the package of chain off of the shelf, paid for it, drove home, looked at the package and....."Aw, sh:censored:!!!"
Back in the truck...

Well yeah.... :buttkick:

:laugh: J/K

I think what he meant was a dealer was tring to tell him that if he had a Stihl saw he could only use Stihl chain. :dizzy:

If your saw calls for 3/8's pitch, .050 gauge, 72 link chain, then any 3/8's pitch, .050 gauge, 72 link chain will work no matter whos name is on the box. :cheers:

You are correct Erick. That is why I mentioned the fact that this persons statement helped me decide where I would actully make my purchase.

280 is a sweet saw

I have had the 280 for a couple weeks now and found it to be well suited for the firewood task. I have cut through 30" oak with it and found that the saw can work harder than me...for now:greenchainsaw:

I also got my dad's wood splitter back on line. This thing is the cats a$$ with a Wisconsin 2 cylinder engine that was built in 1957. It runs like a charm and can split anything I can put on it!!

attachment.php

18" bar and full skip 3/8 chain on my 026 and it pulls it very well. also have a oregon 72lgx that i havent tried yet. i realy like the 3/8 chains

270 280 should pull a 3/8 chain just fine

attachment.php

18" bar and full skip 3/8 chain on my 026 and it pulls it very well. also have a oregon 72lgx that i havent tried yet. i realy like the 3/8 chains

270 280 should pull a 3/8 chain just fine
:hmm3grin2orange: Don't forget to take the Chainsaw
out of the kitchen before the wife gets home. :hmm3grin2orange:

Tell me about it, when I told her I "had" to spend $500 on a saw she was not too happy! Luckily I found my 361 used for $325. Now to find a $175 limbing saw to go with it. HAHA :greenchainsaw:

Great score on the 361. I came very close to buying one but figured it might be a bit weighty to cut fire wood all day with. :cheers:

It does get heavy but its only about a pound heavier than the 280 even with the extra fuel and oil capacity. The extra .8 hp comes in handy sometimes.

i have another option for you on good all around screaming firewood saw if your open minded.

ill even make it run better for free just to get another one out there.

Latest posts

Back