thinking of rebuilding 044???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You need the SN then there are stihl guys who will know if it is before or after the cut off. Likely you could also find the SN cutoff info in search.

Cyl is the same, but piston and crank are different 10mm to 12mm. Also I do not think a 12mm piston pin crank can be easil yput into older case, but could be wrong on that, never tried myself.

Last edited:
Ouch!

But would this not be a good project saw?

You'll definately learn about chainsaws but you'll sure pay the price when all is said and done. (likely including bottom end work)

What do you want for $500? A major learning project or a "creampuff" that you'll eventually find here or on CL.

If you really want to learn then go for it. I'll stay out of the bidding. :)

The price has gone up on that saw so I don't think I'll go for that one. Ebay is really the only place I would know where to look for. I could go to my dealer and ask him if he is sellin' a old 044. Or I could continually go on the trading post. I don't have many options other than ebay. Anyone else know where they would look??

You'll definately learn about chainsaws but you'll sure pay the price when all is said and done. (likely including bottom end work)

What do you want for $500? A major learning project or a "creampuff" that you'll eventually find here or on CL.

If you really want to learn then go for it. I'll stay out of the bidding. :)

I'd rather not bid, but thats really all I know. I want to learn, but I don't exactly want to replace everything on the saw. Maybe this isn't the best idea??

If you want to learn on building a saw. Start off with an 026 or a 029. Plenty of them out there, plenty of parts. Not so spendy. Not like the 044. We all have to start somewhere right?

Good point on 026, but I would not pick an 029 being a lower grade clam shell motor it's got limitations and won't be worth much when done even upgraded to a 390.

I would open the mind up to a whole host of saws and just watch for the right price and condition.

Good too if you can stay clear of saws that parts are getting harder to get and it's a bonus if you can stick to saws with aftermarket parts to choose from.

Stihl 026/260
346 Husky
357/359 Husky
365/372 Husky
Stihl 044, 046
Dolmar 6400, 7300, 7900, or the makita 01 versions of those same saws

Older but maybe Husky 268/272, 281/288 or a Stihl 038 Mag

Good point on 026, but I would not pick an 029 being a lower grade clam shell motor it's got limitations and won't be worth much when done even upgraded to a 390.

Agreed on the 026. But for a first build me saw. Ain't nothing wrong with the 029. It wouldn't be too hard of a challenge. Plenty of parts out there that ain't to spendy. Better than what I'm trying to rebuild. Homelite 330. But its put on hold due to being laid off. Might have to junk the little thing now. :censored:

I appreciate the advise, I do really want to rebuild a 044, then possibly keep it. I'll jes have to be patient and keep my eye out for one. Ebay, I am now convinced, is not a good place to get a saw to work on.

EBay isn't a bad place to get a saw if you want to work on it. It just depends on how much your willing to put into it and how extensive the labor will be. I try and at least go over the saws I wish I could get on eBay once a day. Mainly the Partner P100. No luck so far. Just keep your hopes up man. Everything takes time, and yes money too. If you want the 044 that bad. Just do it. But I wouldn't sell it though. :cheers:

If I did it, it would be over a period of time. I will keep my eye out for any 044's or 440's that need work, jes might take a little time:)

I've picked up a few used Stihl's to play with, thinking I would save money by getting a used saw that needs a little work. By the time you get done its easy to have more into a used Stihl than what a new one would cost. Especially since most parts are dealer only.

If I had the money in my bank account. I'd bid on the 044 and take my time fixing it up. I ain't in no hurry. Hell I'm laid off this coming Monday until further notice. Plus I also have to have a screw taken out of my leg the same day. Everything takes time and money AM. You could get a grip of used parts from FlEbay if you wanted to. The question is, how much time are you willing to put into this saw? How long are you willing to wait for the parts you need on your budget? There are a lot of questions you need to ask yourself. Hell, don't be like some of us and just go balls to the wall. Then you might be showing signs of CAD. Good luck man. :cheers:

I don't have many options other than ebay. Anyone else know where they would look??

You're from NY?? Use Craig's List.

Or better yet use Craig's helper which will let you search as many markets as you want.

Be patient and you'll find one.

I know I'm bringing ebay back, but look at this. I know its a 046, but it looks like a good project, does it not??

I know I'm bringing ebay back, but look at this. I know its a 046, but it looks like a good project, does it not??

You might get lucky but that saw looks like it's been beat to death. There's a reason it looks like it does. See, the problem is this. It would be REAL easy to end up with more in the saw than what you could have bought a much nicer one for. I am all about a bargain and fixing it up as well. I've just learned from experience and it'll shock you what you end up having in one a lot of times.

The main thing I want to do would be to buy a saw that needs some cosmetic and some engine work and make it like new then sell it. Should I start on a smaller saw?

I go to ebay to make money not save money. I would visit every chainsaw dealer within a 100 mile radius of you and tell them that you are interested in an 044 as a project. Maybe even leave your name and number. You may get lucky. Great saw.

Maybe even contact some local loggers or tree services and see what they have that they may want to part with. Many of those guys are way too busy to know what they are worth on ebay etc.

Last edited:
Thank, I am gonna ask my dealer to keep his eye out for one. Do you think the 460 has top end work to do on it? And also, where do you guys buy OEM parts for stihls(handles, fuel tanks, plastic covers, sprocket cover)?

Back