This crap is getting old? REALLY OLD!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think were gonna get BLASTED soon. My only complaint about the weather right now is that I can't get to the woods due to the mud. Hopefully it freezes hard prior to the snow.

That is one of the pluses I like about a boiler. I start one fire around November and that is it and indoor temp stays the same. I know I use more wood than one in the house but putting wood in once a day is worth it to me. Plus I don't have to drag the wood through the house. I put mine in a building so the years wood is dry along with me when I feed it. Hot water is nice as well.

86248d1231603286-mvc-025s-jpg

Couldn't agree more. Right now I'll cut more wood if it means constant temp, once/day loading and free DHW.
I recently helped my BIL install a woodstove in his house and was very impressed with it's performance. In a few years when the kids are gone and I only really need to heat one end of the house, an indoor stove could be a very attractive option. When I'm in my 60's (assuming I make it) cutting and burning half the wood I do now will probably seem like a good idea.

I get a "nut" filling my boiler to heat 2 houses and my hot tub(most important of the 3). If only I could get it to work for my chain saw. We keep the house temp at 72 with windows open for the fresh winter air. My friends have saran wrap on all their windows, plugged every hole so they do not have any precious oil heat loss and their houses smell like a litter box. I complain while cutting, stacking etc but sure as hell nice right now

I get a "nut" filling my boiler to heat 2 houses and my hot tub(most important of the 3). If only I could get it to work for my chain saw. We keep the house temp at 72 with windows open for the fresh winter air. My friends have saran wrap on all their windows, plugged every hole so they do not have any precious oil heat loss and their houses smell like a litter box. I complain while cutting, stacking etc but sure as hell nice right now

don't mean to high jack thread but how do you heat your hot tub with OWB ?

When you say you have to "light a fire" in the morning, I'm assuming you still have lots of hot coals and are not lighting it from scratch?

Nope, there ain't any coals to speak off... if any.
At 5:00 AM it's been around 10 hours since lighting the evening fire, and I ain't getting 10 hours burn time from a half firebox load of elm (that's like 6-8 splits depending).
So yeah, I'm lighting from scratch twice-a-day. I just haven't had need for a fire big enough, or of enough duration to build a bed of coals.

Last year at this time I hadn't struck a match in over a month... this year I'm striking one twice a day.
But I also ain't used anything close to the amount of wood I'd used last year by this time. At this rate it could be March before I need to throw more in the basement. I figured I had enough from standing-dead in the basement to get me through New Years... now, even if it turns cold tomorrow, I believe I could darn near make it to Valentines Day. And if it don't turn cold, I ain't gonna' be burning any of that lovely oak I have stacked-up outside... I ain't wasting that oak in above zero temperatures, I'll just go cut more standing dead elm to finish out the season.

I understand your dilemna but at my house that is the way it has to be. You see I only have a fireplace with a little blower motor inside it. Propain is almost $3 gallon so I try to heat as much of the house as possible with the fireplace. It is a bilevel house and the fireplace is in the lower level. It gets nice and warm downstairs but a fan blowing the warm air up the stairs to the upper level just wasn't cutting it so I installed an exhaust fan in the ceiling downstairs and ran a duct to the upper level. Now it pulls the warm air from downstairs and shoots it right into the main living area. So far since late September the propain tank has only emptied by 20%.
Twice a day fires are the norm around here. The house falls to 60 degrees while I'm at work and when I get home it takes me all night to get the house back to 70 and then it dies overnight.
I don't even light in the morning on my 4 day work week. It would only burn for 2 hours and then no one would feed it and I won't leave it unattended.
View attachment 214180

As of this week, I'm outta shoulder season trash wood. I never planned on three months of burning the junk, and concentrated on the good stuff. No complaints, but now I gotta either get to burning the good stuff real low, or get busy working on the pile of stinky Box elder and sassafrass I was saving for splitting for next year.

Why do I get the feeling we are gonna get clobbered in a week or so?

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I grew up with wood heat.One old house had four fire places and two pot belly stoves. If you wanted heat in the whole old 22 room house. My folks did buy a place that didn't have wood heat. It had oil heat in a floor furnace that was in a crawl space. The vent pipe finally let go in the middle of the winter filling the house with fumes and much cussing from dad.
He installed a wood burner after that. When I got married My wife had never been around wood heat. I spent hours teaching her how to open the damper and open the draft then feed wood to the fire then reverese the steps. She continuley loet the wood furnace burn out so I had to rebuild the fire. I finally had enough and tripped the breakers in the panal box so the electriec furnace would not come on.
She would then call me at work and complain some thing was wrong as the house was getting cold. I asked if she had put wood in the furnace, she wouldsay NO soI would tell her to put wood in it. She even went so far as to call her dad who came and tripped the breaker back on so I just removed the breaker.
She finally started putting wood in the furnace but B I C H E D about it all the time till one year I was hardly ever at home, working 7 days a week 16 to 18 hours a day. I just could not get out to cut fire wood so the electric furnace heated the house. Took to $450.00 electric bills and the wife bought 10 face cord of wood for $300.00 and loaded the furnace every day for the rest of the winter.
Some times it takes tough love.Don't load the wood burner pay for gas, fuel oil or elecric and YOU (wife) do with out some thing, simple as that.

:D Al

Last edited:
As of this week, I'm outta shoulder season trash wood. I never planned on three months of burning the junk, and concentrated on the good stuff. No complaints, but now I gotta either get to burning the good stuff real low, or get busy working on the pile of stinky Box elder and sassafrass I was saving for splitting for next year.

Why do I get the feeling we are gonna get clobbered in a week or so?

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

The first of the week it's going to hover around 20, then down from there over here by the Saginaw Bay.

Kyle

Back