Thoughts on new Stihl 171/181/211

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't wanna start a brand war but the 5100's I had lasted less than a season. Just because it is deemed to be pro don't mean sqat. All the fuel line in the world wont replace a fried engine. I know the 211 isn't a pro saw and neither are all the 290's that asplundh so poorly arms their cutters with either yet they last and last. This 211 is a project saw. The project is to see how long this cheap a$$ piece of plastic will last, I bet I get a year out of it, I could be wrong but either way it paid for itself by noon on monday so now it's paying me back and we'll see how much it takes to break it.

Yes, I could turn around and argue against myself. What good is it if the quality is there without the dealer support, for the average home owner? Many have trouble even purchasing some of these other brands. The dealer and distributor support just isn't there in so many case. Shoot, I don't even know where I could go to buy a pro Husky near here. In some cases, that leaves Stihl as the only real option. But with the Internet and the ability most of us have to work on our own saws, it's not that big of a deal.

Yeah, I like to argue a little sometimes:cheers: I'm even arguing with myself right now, LOL. My family says I should have been a lawyer. I didn't want to be a "Mule" though:clap:

Yes, I could turn around and argue against myself. What good is it if the quality is there without the dealer support, for the average home owner? Many have trouble even purchasing some of these other brands. The dealer and distributor support just isn't there in so many case. Shoot, I don't even know where I could go to buy a pro Husky near here. In some cases, that leaves Stihl as the only real option. But with the Internet and the ability most of us have to work on our own saws, it's not that big of a deal.

Yeah, I like to argue a little sometimes:cheers: I'm even arguing with myself right now, LOL. My family says I should have been a lawyer. I didn't want to be a "Mule" though:clap:

I understand. I was a little down on stihl for awhile with some of their models as far as power goes, but after running their strat engines comapred to husky's I think they realized that they needed to take the saws that everyday people purchase and give them their moneys worth and the power they are known for. As far as plastic goes, it doesn't bother me in the least, i've never had plastic crack or fail on me.

As far as plastic goes, it doesn't bother me in the least, i've never had plastic crack or fail on me.

It's not so much the plastic with me personally. It doesn' have paint to chip off and look old and ratty. For me it's the flat steel rod, the clamshell engine, and the fact that some of them are a major pain to work on. The entire saw has to come apart to get to the piston and cylinder. Even the impulse hose is a major pain on some models.

It's not so much the plastic with me personally. It doesn' have paint to chip off and look old and ratty. For me it's the flat steel rod, the clamshell engine, and the fact that some of them are a major pain to work on. The entire saw has to come apart to get to the piston and cylinder. Even the impulse hose is a major pain on some models.

You being a saw builder I can understand that. I look at it like this, I can buy two 211's for the price of one 200 and if you've ran both I think you would agree that performance is similiar. Maybe the 211 wont hold up or maybe it will. I'm not defending their homeowner line but I personally feel that the engines are equal to that of many other companies so called pro saws.

The 420?

That must be one :smoking: saw. :greenchainsaw:

Try one. You'll be surprised, just like I was.

Watch until I run the 20LP chisel chain at the end.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9Iawywd1-_4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9Iawywd1-_4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited:
I'd think that with 200psi you better keep the chain sharp and the mix real fresh.

That's the compression on a stock saw with only a tank of fuel through it. Yes, I would definately only run premium in it. It is the strongest saw of that size I have ever run stock. I ran more like a 50cc saw. Even with the high compression, my 10 year old daughter could start it.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/s2Jv9I1jGkk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/s2Jv9I1jGkk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Well I forgot the 171/181/211 saws take the tiny spark plug, no adaptors here at da house. Maybe I have one at work that will fit....will post back....

Well I forgot the 171/181/211 saws take the tiny spark plug, no adaptors here at da house. Maybe I have one at work that will fit....will post back....

Mine had 150 warm so I would estimate 165/170 cold. Thats about how it feels and is just right. Remember i got over 20 tanks in mine so yours could be less till it's broke in.

stoopid that they come with a 13/19mm torx t-wrench, i got a 16/19mm flat t-wrench for my wifes. never need the torx in the field.

Latest posts

Back