Today is a good propane day!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcsman

ArboristSite Member
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good day on the propane front here which at this point is not easy to do with prices going crazy. I had decided a few months ago to switch propane providers as I wasnt altogether happy with Amerigas and their prices. So I checked out a few local companies and called one to see about an install. We discussed a number of questions such as how to return the previous companies tank. She gave me a date of January 31 as I said I was trying to drain my pig down. Amerigas said anything over 10% left in the tank would get charged an extra premium when they pick up the tank so my goal has been to get below that number. All my appliances run off propane but burning mostly wood keeps my uasge fairly low. So it has taken awhile to lower it down. I called a few days before my install date and said I was still at 13-14% can I move it back a few weeks. She said pick a date and I said February 13. Well that is next week and I'm down to 11% so I called to possibly move it back again. Plus I asked how much propane I had to purchase with a new install as I did not want to sell a kidney to fill the 500 lb pig with prices where they were. She recommended not extending the install any longer as my price might go up more. I said what are prices right now and she said $3.83 a gallon but said I was getting a bargain. I asked what she meant and she told me when I called to set up an install my price was locked that day and I was getting my first fill at $1.94 a gallon!! I just about dropped the phone...lol. I said bring them out on the 13th and I will be waiting. I will probably use my furnace a little more for the next week to drop my level down, but good grief as I said in my title today was a good propane day!!

At $4 a gal why not take a week break of burning wood and use what you already paid for. Why give them 9-10% of propain for free. Makes NO sense!

well unless Amerigas is lying to me when they pick up my tank anything less than the 10% level is credited to me for the price it was delivered for...maybe I didnt explain that very well in my original post...

anything over the 10% level is still credited to me but will be docked 30 or 40 cents a gallon as they must pump it before hauling away...less than 10% they can just take the tank...

but I certainly will be burning more this next week than I normally would....

well unless Amerigas is lying to me when they pick up my tank anything less than the 10% level is credited to me for the price it was delivered for...maybe I didnt explain that very well in my original post...

anything over the 10% level is still credited to me but will be docked 30 or 40 cents a gallon as they must pump it before hauling away...less than 10% they can just take the tank...

but I certainly will be burning more this next week than I normally would....
amerigas is lying to you...when agvantage,,was starting to play the propain game, I told em what to do with their damn tank..they took the 1000 gal tank out,,with 50% in it!!! with one of the carriers meant to haul them!! I also discussed this removal with them,,and said I wanted my 50% back. they said they would pay me for it,,at HALF what I paid for it!!! you can guess how that conversation went!! they refilled my own tank to 50%!!!! we had amerigas here once. they went by the wayside,,because of their damn practices....

Well -20F wind chill here this morning and furnace running alot...might not have to worry too much about whats left anyhow...

I'll let you guys know after they take my tank what they come up with...but I'm sure they wont be in any hurry to pick the tank up. Oh well it can sit out by the road for everyone to see who I'm dumping...lol

I checked my 500 gal LP two days ago... call it 18%, 90 gallon... it's used only for heating water.
I told the girls if they don't like taking cold baths they had best watch the hot water use, 'cause I ain't paying the price... I ain't buyin' until it drops way, friggin' way, down.
That DHW coil I didn't install, when I installed the furnace, is beginning to look like my biggest blunder of the 21st century so far.

Natural gas for me

Sent from my Autotune Carb
Funny you should mention that, we have a huge natural gas pumping facility 1/2 mile down the road from us. There is underground storage beneath us covering a good section of this area. But is there a way for me to tap into that....nope. There are wells all around here and one was dug on our property years ago when my wife's grandparents lived here. They could have had a free supply if they had paid to run a line from the well to their house, but at the time fuel oil was so cheap who needed it. Also the company has changed hands numerous times since and most folks who took advantage have been cut off. Oh well I have ample supply of wooded area on the property so they did leave me that!!

I had a contract locked in price a few years ago had to buy 400 gal. minimum. I only use about 300 gal. per year. I had a 250 gal. tank at the time. Came to find out in the small print you needed to take full delivery by May 1st I ended up getting screwed out of about 100 gallons told the propane co to go pound sand and come pick up there tank. I went with another Co. and got a 500 gal. tank now. I wish I could get totally off propane. But at least one fill now gets me through a full year. Now that I'm started the son of a &*%$ also charge you $75 for a leak test if you let your tank get below 10% or they won't fill you.

Around here that is a little tricky, many companies will only fill their tanks. Some if you have a proof of purchase with matching serial numbers they will reluctantly fill. On the damn gas companies, how can they charge you to take their tank off your property? Can you cheaply send them a certified letter telling them they have 30 days to remove or they give up their rights to the tank? I have one sitting in my yard for a year now. I will not pay them to remove. possession 9/10 the law?

Around here that is a little tricky, many companies will only fill their tanks. Some if you have a proof of purchase with matching serial numbers they will reluctantly fill. On the damn gas companies, how can they charge you to take their tank off your property? Can you cheaply send them a certified letter telling them they have 30 days to remove or they give up their rights to the tank? I have one sitting in my yard for a year now. I will not pay them to remove. possession 9/10 the law?
Terms are in the rental contract you signed. I bought mine so I can switch whenever I please. I lock in a price each year but if they fail to keep it full I can call whomever I please.

HF

Amerigas is getting the boot at my place this spring. Last fall they bought out a local, family owned propane company who had serviced me well for 20 years. I admit, I was never a big user of propane since I burn wood and the only other gas appliance is the kitchen stove. At one point the company came and took my 500 gallon tank and replace it with a 100 gallon tank, since I hardly used much. My first fill of the season was late fall and I almost $hit when I got my first Amerigas bill. At that time it was something like $2.69/gal, anyone else I talked to was almost $1/gal cheaper. Then the "extra" charges followed; fuel surcharge, plus some other BS charges I never saw with the previous provider. I made my mind up right there, this is the first and last fill from Amerigas. If they fill my tank someday when I'm not home, there going to wish they had my name on the bottom of a contract with their companies letterhead on top.

Have them place you on a "will call" status that way they wont deliver anything until you ask them. Thats what I have done with Amerigas the last couple years. So far they have stuck to their agreement and their next "will call" is to pick up their tank....

Have them place you on a "will call" status that way they wont deliver anything until you ask them. Thats what I have done with Amerigas the last couple years. So far they have stuck to their agreement and their next "will call" is to pick up their tank....

I gave Amerigas the boot last year, after they took over a local operation and then started playing thier games.

Called them at 20% and requested a fill. Two weeks later I called back and they said they would be out in three more weeks.
We only use the gas for cooking and hot water, so it wasn't urgent, but it pissed me off.
I asked what would happen if I was sitting at 10% in winter..thier no **** reply was that they would charge an additional 200 bucks for emergency delivery within 5 days.

I told 'em to come get thier tank within 30 days or I would put a Lein on it, and chain it to a tree in a swamp.
Got the new tank, and filled it, and hauled thier tank to the pond 5 weeks later.
It sat there until I got a nasty gram with a bill for removing thier tank, that was still in the woods.

Called the nice lady and told her Aluminum scrap was up, and they had three days to pick up thier tank and pay the charges for storage of thier tank, or it was going to the recycle bin. I have never signed a contract with Amerigas, and am not liable under thier legal agreements. BINGO!!!

I got a phone call 20 Min. Later with an apology, and a sicky sweet request to have the tan accessable the next day at noon.
Dude was there at 1155 and started apologizing right after "Hello".

**** Amerigas!.
Don't play thier game.

Amerigas is getting the boot at my place this spring. Last fall they bought out a local, family owned propane company who had serviced me well for 20 years. I admit, I was never a big user of propane since I burn wood and the only other gas appliance is the kitchen stove. At one point the company came and took my 500 gallon tank and replace it with a 100 gallon tank, since I hardly used much. My first fill of the season was late fall and I almost $hit when I got my first Amerigas bill. At that time it was something like $2.69/gal, anyone else I talked to was almost $1/gal cheaper. Then the "extra" charges followed; fuel surcharge, plus some other BS charges I never saw with the previous provider. I made my mind up right there, this is the first and last fill from Amerigas. If they fill my tank someday when I'm not home, there going to wish they had my name on the bottom of a contract with their companies letterhead on top.

Reaperman,

Don't play thier game. They hire particularly bitchy women to answer the phones and deal with customers for a reason.

No contract, means you are storing thier property for free.
Odds, are they can't even find the title for that tank, nor it's last inspection sheet.

The dorks sent bills to an address we hadn't lived at for 8 years, because they didn't update the paperwork from the mom and pop operation they bought out.
The Bills were for tank rental...which we never agreed to.

Dump them hard, and draw a hard line.

How those idiots stay in business is beyond me.

H
Haul it to the scrap yard.

Latest posts

Back