too-lless chain tensioner. huh???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Count

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
anyone fancy the tool-less chain tensioner?
it seem to me that is the stupidest thing ever.
I prefer the side normal one. the front is ok but gets dirty and is less fun

any of you pros use the tool-less one ?

Once and a while I work with a guy who owns a tree service. He has a tooless chain tensioner on a Stihl MS 180. He never had a problem with it. I perfer the standard nuts and adjuster though

Im not a pro but i have a 440 with the tool less chain tensioner and have not had a problem with it. the chain dos'nt come loose during cutting I have cut atleast 10 cords or more with that saw. it is nice to be able to change chains with out tools

personally i cant stand them. my grandpa had a ms210 that had the tool-less crap thing on it and i remember one day messin with that thing for prolly half an hour out in the woods. dont remember what happened with it but it was annoying!! honestly i can see it for old folks that maybe cant tighten the nuts down enough or have arthritis or something but for the common user?? whats wrong with a couple nuts and a screw?? once again stihl tries to fix something that aint broke...like flippy caps!!!!......what are they gonna do next? put an electric starter on their saws?!? or maybe a automatic temperature-sensing winter/summer shutter for the carb? :dizzy:

Last edited:
Most are very poor. The Dolmar 3410th has pretty good one.Less plastic to wear than others,but I still prefer bar nuts.

my poulan 4620avx has it and i hate it. the bar doesnt get tight enought to the bar plat so the bar oil drips straight down insead of flowing to bar oil hole.

If I owned a chainsaw factory, I would make a system with little of both:
Old style nuts, but finger screws for adjusment. Just my thoughts.

My Husky has the toolless one. At first it was super aggrivating because lining up the bar with the cover when putting it together is a huge pain in the neck and then it always seemed to come loose, but once I got the hang of it, it's handy.

Not sure how well it'd work on big saws though. I normally like to just set the tension and go (nut system)

I've got a little 180 that I've had a quite a while, dosen't get used much any more but the tool less chain tensioner has always worked fine with no issues. None of my other saws have it, I really prefer the traditional style with two bar nuts.

Im not a pro but i have a 440 with the tool less chain tensioner and have not had a problem with it. the chain dos'nt come loose during cutting I have cut atleast 10 cords or more with that saw. it is nice to be able to change chains with out tools

How about flipping the bar then, and cleaning behind it?

I don't know how it is on the Huskys with that stupid and superflous feature, but the Stihl one is discouraging regarding normal maintenance.....:pumpkin2:

The tool-less adjuster contraption on the little light-duty 023 I was given is the worst designed piece of junk in living history. The clowns who designed the stihl tool-less adjusters need a damn good slapping around the ears - and that goes for any stihl dealer who would lower themselves to sell such junk. The designers obviously don't understand that a chainsaw actually collects debris and dirt.

Guess they were never told that when they were handed their engineering degrees in their air-conditioned classrooms at university, with their occasional stroll out onto the manicured back lawn for "theory-testing." And they certainly were never taught the K.I.S.S. principal either.

The nasty and chintzy tool-less contraption attracts crap like a magnet. The ridiculous toothed-wheel contraption and the stupid painful-on-the-finger-tips adjuster knob and floppy-feeling plastic flapper all quickly turn into a useless, stiff, notchy, aggravating pile of annoying shyte with no precision or control. All you end up doing is tearing skin off your fingers. Absolute waste of bloody time.

Did I mention that I'm not impressed with them?? :blob5:

I have on on my 180 and it i never had any issues with it . The only thing i dont like about it is the side cover traps so much crud with the gear that it is a pain in the butt to clean . i thought of switching back to the origonal style.Someone posted about switching but i think it is costly to purchase the parts .

I have the tool less adjuster on an MS180 and really like the saw but could do without that contraption. I don't think it makes anything easier because it is a pain to figure out initially and is a debris collector. I would gladly have just the standard Stihl two nut with side adjuster set up. Also, I would prefer to run the chain tighter than I can get it with the little wheel. So in summation, it isn't terrible but I would never pay 5 cents extra for it. Not sure what it was supposed to achieve.

The tool-less adjuster contraption on the little light-duty 023 I was given is the worst designed piece of junk in living history. The clowns who designed the stihl tool-less adjusters need a damn good slapping around the ears - and that goes for any stihl dealer who would lower themselves to sell such junk. The designers obviously don't understand that a chainsaw actually collects debris and dirt.

Guess they were never told that when they were handed their engineering degrees in their air-conditioned classrooms at university, with their occasional stroll out onto the manicured back lawn for "theory-testing." And they certainly were never taught the K.I.S.S. principal either.

The nasty and chintzy tool-less contraption attracts crap like a magnet. The ridiculous toothed-wheel contraption and the stupid painful-on-the-finger-tips adjuster knob and floppy-feeling plastic flapper all quickly turn into a useless, stiff, notchy, aggravating pile of annoying shyte with no precision or control. All you end up doing is tearing skin off your fingers. Absolute waste of bloody time.

Did I mention that I'm not impressed with them?? :blob5:

Guess your gonna have slap me then because I sell the hell out of them and oddly no complaints. Course those that buy them aren't people that sit around on AS worrieing about chainsaws, they apparently got better things to do,:laugh::laugh:

How about flipping the bar then, and cleaning behind it?

I don't know how it is on the Huskys with that stupid and superflous feature, but the Stihl one is discouraging regarding normal maintenance.....:pumpkin2:

Sawtroll if you can't remove one little screw and flip the adjuster and put the bar back on in less than 1 minute then yes maybe its not for you,LOLOLOL

Guess your gonna have slap me then because I sell the hell out of them and oddly no complaints. Course those that buy them aren't people that sit around on AS worrieing about chainsaws, they apparently got better things to do,:laugh::laugh:

T.Hall, I know they all want to complain, but I'm pickin' they're too nervous to go taking their saws back to you, knowing that YOU'LL likely turn around and slap THEIR ears instead... heheh

T.Hall, I know they all want to complain, but I'm pickin' they're too nervous to go taking their saws back to you, knowing that YOU'LL likely turn around and slap THEIR ears instead... heheh

Haha, they better not come back and complain, I spent an extra 10 minutes getting them to buy those dayummm thngs, opppppppppps,:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Latest posts

Back