Tree Huggers Part 2

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by jimmyq
MB. The brackets do go around the tree fullly. Douglas fir is known for its thick, coarse bark, it doesnt seem to be causing undue pressure or damage to the trees

Cool. I'll pass that on to Mr. Mass.

:D

Mike, The clamps are sort of like a giant hose clamp, it looks like they can be adjusted when necessary. I would assume they had some good research before they just slapped the walkways in, but you never know.
The platform areas at the trees are cut out wider than the trunk and they are made of 2x8 material so they should be able to knock them out wider as necessary, the trunk of the tree at each platform is covered with a heavy mesh netting from foot level to about 8 feet up - my guess is to reduce damage to bark by peelers and grabbers. The guy wires for the platform areas are attached to the platform itself, the trees are not guyed. Anyhoo, I figured at a glance it looked like things were fairly harmonious. I have heard of a project in South America done in this fashion to allow scientists to study the forest flora and fauna without actually impacting on it at ground level, they figured the tree walk type of observation system was the least harmfull. I believe a local expert, Julian Dunster was involved in the planning and tree testing of that project, I havent been able to figure out if he had anything to do with the one I just visited. cheers.

I was kinda hoping Mike woulda figured that part out on his own.

I refuse to believe an outfit like that would design a set-up like that that would harm the tree.

But that's just me. I'm an optimist.

a big part of why I wanted to go there was to see how they did it and if it looked like they had done some homework or not.

Those Doug fir may not be true oldgrowth, but they appear to be well into maturity. Assuming an age of 200 years or so one could expect 10 year increment radial growth of from .5/20ths to 1/20ths of an inch. To translate, at DBH they will increase in diameter at a rate of from 1/2 inch to 1 inch every TEN years...adjusting to that should not tax those clamping mechanisms much, so long as the people in charge pay attention. The bark will be several inches thick at the mounting point and will be nearly as compressable as cork. Don't be a doofus, Mr. Maas ;) .

Hey Tom , you say you were in london, so what do you think of all these london planes? we are currently removing around 30 from a railway embankment in cricklewood , north london, great to climb and dismantle ,, just a pity they were planted in the wrong place!!!!!!

trees: cedar and a pine?

location - looks like a Dutch canal boat but I cant read the writing when I blow the picture up.

am I close?

Paul (the Dutch guy), in Canada

sequoia? i dont think there is enough swell for metasequoia...

and at first glance I wanted to say Austria but I have never been there so it was just a first impresion hunch...

Schweizerdeutsch funny?

BTW, thanks for the reasonable pics!

Glen Sanft

I got a sister-in-law from Lucerne, and my 12-year-old nephew just gets back today from a 6 week visit with her parents there.  He sometimes stutters a bit in English but I hear he never does in Swiss.  I understand they speak and do the casual notes to each other in their own dialect (which differs from a bit town to town) but all the "official" stuff is in "regular" German.  The Swiss German is actually kind of neat to listen to.

I'd checked out the English-dubbed original version of Heidi from the library once as a gag for her.  She remembered it and said that an important part of the story was lost by the translation.  Heidi could understand all the High German but the Germans didn't know it, thinking she only knew the hillbilly version.

Glen

Latest posts

Back