Tree identification

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a red bud to me. It makes a nice decorative short tree/large bush with those colors in early spring.

I'm not sure what that is.
It's not a redbud though. Leaves are wrong, flow clusters are wrong, and redbud bloom in early Spring-time.
Somebody will come along with the answer.

It looks like a Devils Walking Stick ( Aralia Spinosa ) bush to me.
Look and see if it has thorns on it.

David

I am going to guess that it is a type of Sambucus. Abscission point on the stalk looks right, flowers and fruit are similar, and from what I can tell on the picture habitat looks favorable also.

Any progress on this ID? I don't think it matches sambucus because the foliage is pinnate divided. If you found out somewhere, please let us know.
Sambucus typically have a hollow, spongy pith in the center of the stem. If you can, please cut a branch and see if it has a hollow or spongy pith.

Sambucus typically have a hollow, spongy pith in the center of the stem. If you can, please cut a branch and see if it has a hollow or spongy pith.
Good point, I was focused more on the flower, berries, and stem. The leaves aren't right for a sambucus.

If it has no thorns then.... It might be a
Japanese Angelica Tree ( Aralia Elata ).
This is an Invasive Species.

David

Latest posts

Back