Tricks for an etech 359

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I type slow

Sorry,
I type slow. But if you decide to add onto that order within the next couple of hours, I know that you can call Baileys and they will add it all together for you without a problem. It's helped me before, of course it also made me spend a lot more money, but that's okay, it's all in the name of heat and lumber, right?

Jason

I went ahead and ordered the proper muffler unfortunately I didnt need to order anything else yet. I am running a 20 bar with an oregon LG series chain.

If I had it to do over I'd have ordered the black fuel cap to go with the different muffler. Under $5.

Last edited:
I also have a 28 inch bar for it which is a little big I know but thats the reason for the upgrade.

I ordered it from Baileys web site I hope they send a catalog. And no I dont run safety chain I like something that will eat some wood.:chainsawguy:

They'll send one

As it turns out if you are in a jamb and you need something quick, in the notes on check out you can request expedited shipping, and have them contact you the next day by phone. They are really a small outfit, and extremely personable and easy to deal with.

I have always had good luck with their Woodsman Pro chains, and I run a 16" .325 set up a lot on the 036 and love it, since they are in the same class of saws...

Jason

I ordered it from Baileys web site I hope they send a catalog. And no I don't run safety chain I like something that will eat some wood.:chainsawguy:

There are a couple of gents here that do porting. It is supposed to improve the performance of saws. If you can do without it for a while that might be an option. This guy klickitatsacket would cut off his leg before he told you something he didn't believe to be true!

It isn't an OEM. Husky may get funny about warranty. May be able to one at local dealer that is OEM.

My Non Cat muffler was OEM Husky,at least it sure looks it, numbered with the husky part number for the european version that my dealer said he could not get and everything.

Or was your intent to stress that it wasn't OE on a 359 sold in the US? If that was your point then I agree entirely, and if your dealer makes a stink, you are up ye olde creek!

Chuck

I'll sell you a brand new still in package non epa muffler for your 359 for $35 shipped in the US. I don't have my 359 anymore but still have the muffler.

If I had it to do over I'd have ordered the black fuel cap to go with the different muffler. Under $5.

What power gains do you get out of the black cap?
The green one would make it look like a sleeper.....Untill....

Coming in a few months after the fact, but better late the never :greenchainsaw:

Searching through posts about doing this...I just wanted to confirm I did right:

*Bought non-cat muffler from Bailey's - that was easy!

*Limiter caps on carb - I just need to open up the "H" a little bit right? About how much? (1/2 turn extra, full turn??) Will L stay where it was? Do I need to take the limiter off of that as well?

Thanks!

Ath, do you have a tach?

See what your RPM is before and after the muffler switch. It probably won't hurt to richen the H anyway. But you'll have to cut/grind the limiter tabs in order to richen it up. I wound up richening the H jet about 1/8 to 1/4 turn. But I like my 359 a little below 13,000 RPM. I've messed with the L jet back & forth but it just might be back at original.

Last edited:
Well better late than never. I started this post in Aug and man has this site changed my outlook on saws. I did buy and run the non cat on my 359 and yes I had to richen both the L and H screws on my saw. But my power gain wasnt what I wanted so I took the jump and bought a 7900 and man am i pleased. So I still use the 359 with a 20 but I think Im going to sell the 28 inch bar for it. I used a tach to set my 359 and it seems to do best at around 13,500-13,600.You also dont have to cut the limiters off if you pull them out far enough then you can turn the plastic without actually turning the adjustment screw to the carb.

Have any pics of this? I have a 353 I'd like to mod.

The 359 Cat muffler that I modded for an AS member contained nothing more that a perforated plate that needed to be drilled through.

Valid point on the Warranty issue..............I never really cared.............I wrench my own saws.............Chancey......maybe.......don't really care tho.

Imagine modifying the catalytic converter on your auto... You cannot see the platinum or other components that adversely effect your health! It DOES NOT mean they aren't there or that they will not impact your health! Some people play fast and loose with others health and well being! You wish to practice slow motion suicide feel free provided I don't have to subsidize your medical bills; but DO NOT suggest others proceed without taking the proper precautions. For $50 there is no reason to gamble with your health.

Imagine modifying the catalytic converter on your auto... You cannot see the platinum or other components that adversely effect your health! It DOES NOT mean they aren't there or that they will not impact your health! Some people play fast and loose with others health and well being! You wish to practice slow motion suicide feel free provided I don't have to subsidize your medical bills; but DO NOT suggest others proceed without taking the proper precautions. For $50 there is no reason to gamble with your health.

Well when one doesn't know what is inside it is easy to suggest!!!

I only modded one so I think I am in the clear. Thanx for the heads up to the AS audience!!!

Last edited:
Wow, this is a great site. I just got some land 6 acres, and have been using my old Wright saw alot, and needless to say im sick of finacky saws, I want something that I can fire up and will keep running till the jobs done!

With that being said I just ordered a Husky 359. This is a killer thread as im already thinking about modding it. I got jsut a powerhead so I have a feeling im gonna go with a 18" bar for all around work then get a 24" bar with a full skip tooth chain for the occasional big tree dropping. Any suggestions on a chain for the 18" bar? I cant wait to do the muffler mod and tune the carb....

I saw that some people were talking about the gas cap... Aside from looks is there any difference between the green and standard black?

Latest posts

Back