Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a pic of my Stihl 010 I picked up about 3 years ago. It turns out that the oil pump diaphragm was defective from the factory and it must have burned up the original chain and bar almost instantly. For some reason it was never taken back to be repaired under warranty. You can tell it's hardly been used at all. It was at the yard sale sitting as just a powerhead and the seller through in the 16" bar. I bought a new Stihl chain when I picked up the new oil pump diaphragm. I use it several times a year. Does anybody know what years this color scheme would have been used? Thanks.

PS. The vintage string trimmer was picked up about a year later one block away from where I bought the saw :)

stihl010plusfs40close_zps178d6a04.jpg

The trimmer runs good too. I need to gas it up and run it some. I already had an early 90s Weedeater / Poulan when I got the old Stihl. Then about 2 years ago I picked up a $5 FS45 and after replacing a carb diaphragm I have used it most often. Actually, I use my 18V Black and Decker the most :) . I'm an old Kawasaki motorcycle mechanic from the 70s when they were mostly 2S so I am pretty easy on my smokers. Use good oil and gas and run them a bit rich.

stihlsfull_zps7b9c77da.jpg

When I was racing I would keep going up on the MJ until the motor just 4 stroked and then back up one jet size. This was mostly Hodakas that had iron cylinders. We eventually started carrying Maicos and those things would need a ton of rejetting for local conditions. Every piece of brass in the carb would need to be replaced. Then once we figured it out all we had to do was swap in the new stuff whenever we sold another of that model. But the next new model they came out with you would be back to square one.

When I was racing I would keep going up on the MJ until the motor just 4 stroked and then back up one jet size. This was mostly Hodakas that had iron cylinders. We eventually started carrying Maicos and those things would need a ton of rejetting for local conditions. Every piece of brass in the carb would need to be replaced. Then once we figured it out all we had to do was swap in the new stuff whenever we sold another of that model. But the next new model they came out with you would be back to square one.

Let's see some pics of them bikes, we all love vintage stuff

Here is a pic of my Stihl 010 I picked up about 3 years ago. It turns out that the oil pump diaphragm was defective from the factory and it must have burned up the original chain and bar almost instantly. For some reason it was never taken back to be repaired under warranty. You can tell it's hardly been used at all. It was at the yard sale sitting as just a powerhead and the seller through in the 16" bar. I bought a new Stihl chain when I picked up the new oil pump diaphragm. I use it several times a year. Does anybody know what years this color scheme would have been used? Thanks.

PS. The vintage string trimmer was picked up about a year later one block away from where I bought the saw :) Welcome rayjay257--We need more Georgia guys here--I am in Albany and collect old saws---bows are best!!! David

stihl010plusfs40close_zps178d6a04.jpg

Finally raining here--so glad!! Does anybody else take saws half apart to clean and check-may need part. then sit aside and do the same to a couple more-------- I got cad fairly bad--Was cured the other day for less than 24 hours-back to cuttin,scrounging wood-e bay,flea market ,pawn shop for saws--ordering parts-workin on them --want a mill and hutzl kit saw. Besides that no signs of cad in my life. David--going to work on a saw--over and out!!

Latest posts

Back