Wally world bar lube

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

double E

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Can someone tell me why I shouldn't use the $7.50 a gallon bar and chain lube from wal-mart, at my local stihl dealer the stihl lube is $14.99. Is the stihl really that much better. If so whats the difference.

Can someone tell me why I shouldn't use the $7.50 a gallon bar and chain lube from wal-mart, at my local stihl dealer the stihl lube is $14.99. Is the stihl really that much better. If so whats the difference.

It works fine if you figure how much you save over time you could by a few extra bars compared to using the 15.00 one.I used it for 20 years now.

I use the WalMart bar and chain lube, it's fine. I've found it be a little more thin than the STIHL oil but that's about the only difference.

A couple of years ago, three samples of oil were tested.
I believe Wiggs did the magical chemistry part.

Stihl was the best, TSC (Tractor Supply Co.) was decent, and I think the bottom of the heap was Wally World's Poulan stuff.
Seems Stihl was the most tacky ~ in a good way.

For 18" and shorter bars, I use the TSC brand. They just had a $7.00/gallon promo going. Picked up 1/2 dozen gallons.

The wally world stuff works, but the TSC house brand is usually cheaper,is tackier, and a better bar lube overall.

If you are at wally world and they have the Poulan Bar oil on sale for 6-7 bucks, that is pretty decent stuff too. Just creepy Red colored, and scares the crap out of the wife now and then.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

i have stihl,walmart poulan,and tractor supply bar oil and they all serve the same purpose.....i picked up the poulan ant wally world on clearance for 3.99 a gallon bought all six they had:D the tsc was 6-7 bux and the stihl was free with a 900 dollar saw:laugh:

just dont use motor oil or used motor oil for that matter and u will be fine

I hit TSC when they have it on sale and grab a couple three jugs at a time. Usually 6.99 on sale ? Been plenty happy with it.

Shop around and buy in bulk. I usually buy stihl bar oil cuz I could get it for about $6 a gallon if I purchased a case or two. Last time I was at the dealer, stihl was a no go as they had increased prices significantly. Dealer gave me a great buy on husky oil, so its husky till I need more. The husky oil is plenty tacky. You could probably mix 50/50 with wally world and do fine.

I bought a gallon of Ace brand b&c oil, used 1 tank of it. Smelled like burnt gear oil, virtually no tackiness. That was enough for me, I pitched it. I use Stihl oil exclusively now, it smells like oil should and has good tackiness, 12.99 gallon.

I have no idea who makes it but I use Logger's Pride" chain oil.I get it from my local Stihl dealer.$9.00 a gallon.I like it better than the TSC stuff, that I recently bought on sale for $6.00.

I'd rate the standard Stihl only slightly better than the the TSC stuff ...not worth the higher price IMO. Got some from Menards that isn't too bad...it's thinner than the others but still has a fair amount of tack to it, plus it's $6.79 all the time. The worst I've used is the Stihl Winter oil in the blue jug...about as thick as 10-40 and hardly any tack.

All I've found at the local Walmart is Poulan oil. It has done fine so far on my saws with short bars. It isn't as thick as some so it makes a better Winter oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have used a number of different oils and noticed no operating differences between any of them. They have different viscosities and smell different but they all lube the chain. In the future I will be mixing TSC 50/50 with 15w40 engine oil because I got the engine oil cheap (free) and I think it will work fine mixed with the TSC oil. Personally I think only a milling application would be harsh enough to validate the effectiveness of varying oils. To each their own.

Latest posts

Back