Wally world bar lube

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a gallon of Ace brand b&c oil, used 1 tank of it. Smelled like burnt gear oil, virtually no tackiness. That was enough for me, I pitched it. I use Stihl oil exclusively now, it smells like oil should and has good tackiness, 12.99 gallon.

I bought two gallons of that stuff due to my poor planning. That was all there was within 30 miles at the time. You're right, the stuff just has a yucky smell to it.

Regular for me is either Poulan or TSC, whichever is cheaper. Nearest Wally world from here is 75 miles. One way.

Tractor Supply oil works pretty well, but it's really thick when it's cold.

Stihl oil is good, but pretty expensive.

My dad always used new 10W30, and it seemed to work fine.

I've used those Lowe's $10 coupons to buy bar oil, it can make the Husky oil about $8-9 bucks. The TSC $7 sale is usually the best deal

WW seems to be a good oil for general cutting. I do seem to have trouble with it in big wood, 28"+ bars and stumps especially in the summer hot months. I just turn the oilers all the way up. Thinking about trying out TSC oil next time around on the stumps. I like WW for the cold days. It seems to stay a bit thinner in the cold weather.
Has anyone tried Veggie oil mixed with bar oil? The lubricity of Veg seems like it would help a bit to relieve some of the friction against the bar a reduce heat build-up in hardwood stump cutting.

Tractor Supply oil works pretty well, but it's really thick when it's cold.

Stihl oil is good, but pretty expensive.

My dad always used new 10W30, and it seemed to work fine.

Just add a glug or two of diesel to the TSC oil when it gets down below 0 or so.

Next time you change the Hydro in your tractor or splitter, save a couple gallons to thin out the TSC oil as well.
If you run the JB hydro seal additive in the tractor, it comes out used, about the same as Stihl winter weight and darn near as tacky anyhow. LOL!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I had a couple of gallons on the stuff from menards in the white/orange jug and I thought it was junk. Stink, not very tacky, and the bottom 2 inches in the jug was like mud. I have had 2 jugs that were the same way and my dad also had a couple of jugs like that. The first time I used it and the jug was getting close to empty I noticed it coming out in chunks. I poured all of it back out of my saw. I dont use the cheaper bar oils anymore. I like it when it looks like clean oil not old motor oil. Has anyone else had thick gooey junk in the bottom of there bar oil jugs?

i use the supertec from wally...

ive used it for a long time now ... im darn sure not going to use the stihl stuff when im tuning a saw up ... when i was a teen the good ole boy i worked for in the summers used stihl saws and 30 weight as bar and chain oil he was a cheap dude had to put steering fluid in the truck every day and the chipper always needed oil but that that dude always made money!!!!

Here is another vote for Tractor Supply bar oil. 6.99 a gallon in my neck of the woods, And yes it does stick to the bar and chain, floor bed of truck fingers, the list goes on! Ken

I use the stuff Menards carries in the orange and white jug. I get it on sale at the Farm and Fleet store for around $4 a jug. Been using it for years, it is a bit thin but is still tacky. My original stihl bar lasted around 100 cord with it before I bent the bar:bang:

Been using the poulan bar oil for many years, Never had any trouble with it. It is too thick in cold weather. I always put the jug in the house when i know i will be cutting the next day if it's really cold. Once you run a tank of gas, The heat will keep it thinned out.

My loco stihl dealer, True Value store, has the stihl oil of your choice winter or summer for over $18 a gallon. They have lots of stihl equipment even a 660 on the floor. I wouldnt call them big time but they are for real in stihl OPE. Ive never seen bar oil sell for over $18 a gallon anywhere else. Like many others i use the $7-$9 stuff, I dont mind the WW green jug Poulan oil at all, its pretty decent stuff.

You guys are a bunch of sissies! Bar oil.....i use whatever i have on hand..no bar oil...then 30wt engine oil...gear oil cut with kerosene....heck i like it thin...it seeps down into the bearing in the nose. I have never worn a bar our yet. The walmart stuff works just fine....stihl oil is so over priced its funny..is that for hippie bio oil? All im saying is MOST of you guys are putting waaay to much stock in something like bar oil...but to each their own. My bar oil has more tack than your bar oil....woooooohhh!!! LOL

You guys are a bunch of sissies! Bar oil.....i use whatever i have on hand..no bar oil...then 30wt engine oil...gear oil cut with kerosene....heck i like it thin...it seeps down into the bearing in the nose. I have never worn a bar our yet. The walmart stuff works just fine....stihl oil is so over priced its funny..is that for hippie bio oil? All im saying is MOST of you guys are putting waaay to much stock in something like bar oil...but to each their own. My bar oil has more tack than your bar oil....woooooohhh!!! LOL
Even back when I use old motor oil it worked just fine - it was just gross. Bars and chains didn't care. As a matter of fact, I just swapped the oil pump from the saw I did that with onto a "new" one, and it still works fine. Again, if you're a pro and using the saws all the time it might well matter, probably does, but the job it has to do is not too severe.

Well shoot!........ Now you got me wonderin if i put the pink panties on this morning.:hmm3grin2orange:

Has anyone ever been told by one of their cuttin buddies...hey your bar oil stinks...get away from me... and go cut down wind from me.....jerk!!:laugh: My bar oil isnt just more tackier than yours....it smells better too!!!! LOL......guys im not trying to be a troll....just go back to the beginning of the thread and read...and tell me some of you arent embarrassed....HA HA HA!!!

Has anyone ever been told by one of their cuttin buddies...hey your bar oil stinks...get away from me... and go cut down wind from me.....jerk!!:laugh: My bar oil isnt just more tackier than yours....it smells better too!!!! LOL......guys im not trying to be a troll....just go back to the beginning of the thread and read...and tell me some of you arent embarrassed....HA HA HA!!!
Well my son commented how bad i stunk one time.:hmm3grin2orange:I did notice he worked on the other side of the truck too. Shoot i ain't embarrassed, it's all in fun. Besides i don't get into the oil wars. The cheap poulan oil works fine so i use it. I did cut with a guy that used 80# gear oil. Now that junk does stink.:D

Latest posts

Back