wanna build a strong working 044

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bingo. If you start with different castings they may have more or less material in certain areas.

Lots of factors come into play, some R&D time is needed to optimize the parameters.

I don't like sounding like a braggart........I really don't.

BUT :cool2:

I've spent a bunch of quality time with a burr in my hand over the last couple of years. I did around 200 saws last year. I can spot the differences in transfer shape, size, and direction without much effort. That's the key to making one of these things really go......it's in the transfers.

Would you believe I've even went so far as to only work over the transfers to see how much was left on the table by not touching the exhaust or intake? I've left the transfers crazy low......I've raised the exhaust insanely high......the low cost of some aftermarket jugs has allowed me to make some shiny paperweights. :bang:

What I gained in knowledge was so valuable though......I've been able to see that some things we were all doing was a complete waste of time......and some other little things made huge gains. .

Brad can build a great running saw.........he's just too closed minded. Sometimes ya got think outside the cylinder. :laugh:

I'll bring a ported 460 with an aftermarket jug to Wiggs' GTG this fall and put this to rest. If it just runs as well as Brad's saw I think this should be dropped and forgotten. Never to be spoken of by me or him again. It's pointless and a waste of our time.......I'd rather be spending my time bull####ting in OT.

Fair enough? After all.....I'll be starting with inferior parts. :msp_sneaky:

Brad and I are friends.....and will remain friends.....even after I smoke that ass for him. :D

Where did I say that it can't be done?

Um, two pages ago?

...Sure, the AM cylinder will make decent power, but if you want what the saw is capable of, stick with OEM. The proof's in the pudding. Watch all the vids, listen to the RPMs they hold in the cut, and you make your own decision. 'Nuff said.

I've spent a bunch of quality time with a burr in my hand over the last couple of years. I did around 200 saws last year. I can spot the differences in transfer shape, size, and direction without much effort. That's the key to making one of these things really go......it's in the transfers.

Would you believe I've even went so far as to only work over the transfers to see how much was left on the table by not touching the exhaust or intake? I've left the transfers crazy low......I've raised the exhaust insanely high......the low cost of some aftermarket jugs has allowed me to make some shiny paperweights. :bang:

What I gained in knowledge was so valuable though......I've been able to see that some things we were all doing was a complete waste of time......and some other little things made huge gains. .

Brad can build a great running saw.........he's just too closed minded. Sometimes ya got think outside the cylinder. :laugh:

I'll bring a ported 460 with an aftermarket jug to Wiggs' GTG this fall and put this to rest. If it just runs as well as Brad's saw I think this should be dropped and forgotten. Never to be spoken of by me or him again. It's pointless and a waste of our time.......I'd rather be spending my time bull####ting in OT.

Brad and I are friends.....and will remain friends.....even after I smoke that ass for him. :D

Now THAT'S the way I like it! You just go right ahead and try!:clap::msp_thumbup::rock:

tl;dr

Like I asked, where did I say that it can't be done? Fact is, I didn't, and never have. What I said is that no one has given us a side by side comparison documenting that it has been done. Also, based on my own highly trained ear, hahahaha, the videos that we do have, support my position, lol.

:hmm3grin2orange:

I like it......I really do.

Heck lets have some fun with this Brad.....to hell with the fussing.

I'll get with Jer about the wood. Big stuff I'd say.....

28" full comp off the roll RSC?

It'll give us something work saw related to aim for......I have no real love for the cant cutters ya know. It ain't my thing.

Would you be willing to port your Dad's saw? I'll provide an OEM cylinder if you need me to. I would want the jug back after this is done though.

I've toyed around with the thought of porting Dad's saw many times. I've decided that I want to leave that saw stock, for various reasons. I could put my hybrid saw's topend on it, or, port your cylinder and put on it. Man Randy, you're going to make me work! How about we just bring TRX250R's saw back and run them just like they are, hybrid to hyrid? My saw is exactly as I would build it for someone else right now. You have my word that I won't change a thing on it between now and then. Or, you could make me work and put a ported topend on Dad's saw, lol.

:hmm3grin2orange:

I like it......I really do.

Heck lets have some fun with this Brad.....to hell with the fussing.

I'll get with Jer about the wood. Big stuff I'd say.....

28" full comp off the roll RSC?

It'll give us something work saw related to aim for......I have no real love for the cant cutters ya know. It ain't my thing.

Big wood fer sure. 28" bars, Stihl RSC chain, and the hardest wood Jeremy can come up with:rock:

100% stock bottom end, OEM everything.
100% stock carb, no boring.
Stock air filter, HD or HD2.
Air filter cover installed. No visible holes.
You can cut your squishband for 500 PSI compression. I'll settle for my lowly 190 PSI popup:jester: Whatch think?

Last edited:
Looking from the outside,i would have to agree with Brad on most points. To me an OEM cylinder is a big part of what makes a Stihl a Stihl or a Husky a Husky. If i sent a saw off to get ported and it came back with AM parts, I would be pissed regardless if it needed a p/c or not. Regardless of your brand preference, the durability of Stihl Pro saws cannot be argued and good p/c is a huge part of that reputation. It all comes down to personal preference on OEM or Am. Ill take a hopped up saw that runs strong and is durable, my belief is you get that with OEM p/c

I've toyed around with the thought of porting Dad's saw many times. I've decided that I want to leave that saw stock, for various reasons. I could put my hybrid saw's topend on it, or, port your cylinder and put on it. Man Randy, you're going to make me work! How about we just bring TRX250R's saw back and run them just like they are, hybrid to hyrid? My saw is exactly as I would build it for someone else right now. You have my word that I won't change a thing on it between now and then. Or, you could make me work and put a ported topend on Dad's saw, lol.

460 VS 460 I reckon. Hybrids ain't all OEM ya know. :msp_wink:

Just use your hybrid's top end on your Dad's saw.....that'll work.

100% stock bottom end, OEM everything.
100% stock carb, no boring.
Stock air filter, HD or HD2.
Air filter cover installed. No visible holes.
You can cut your squishband for 500 PSI compression. I'll settle for my lowly 190 PSI popup:jester: Whatch think?

I like it......but my saw has aftermarket seals. :(

Looking from the outside,i would have to agree with Brad on most points. To me an OEM cylinder is a big part of what makes a Stihl a Stihl or a Husky a Husky. If i sent a saw off to get ported and it came back with AM parts, I would be pissed regardless if it needed a p/c or not. Regardless of your brand preference, the durability of Stihl Pro saws cannot be argued and good p/c is a huge part of that reputation. It all comes down to personal preference on OEM or Am. Ill take a hopped up saw that runs strong and is durable, my belief is you get that with OEM p/c

I hope you don't think I would ever put an aftermarket top end on someone's saw without their consent. I do build a lot of saws with AM cylinders.....but the owners know what they will get before they ship the saw......it's their choice completely. Many guys choose AM to save money........I've yet to have any failures.

As a matter of fact I've only had one saw in the years I've been doing port work ever suffer a failure......that was a 372 with all OEM parts.

To me putting a aftermarket parts on a saw is kinda like putting a low rider kit on a ford grand torino:msp_w00t: just my 2 cents worth

Now Jake...........I seen those AM stickers on the 385. We all know that's why that thing is so mean. :msp_wink:

If you sent a saw off to be ported, and came back with AM parts without your consent, you'd have a right to be pissed. However if that ever happened then that would mean you sent your saw to the wrong builder.

To me putting a aftermarket parts on a saw is kinda like putting a low rider kit on a ford grand torino:msp_w00t: just my 2 cents worth

What does that even mean? Grand Torino's are sweet, and dropping one wouldn't be the end of the world. So by your argument if you have an old saw that has a failure, and OEM parts are NLA, but you can get AM parts to fix it you would prefer to just let the saw rot?

Brad and Randy in a no holds barred, 046 aftermarket vs. OEM death match in west kentucky......

null_zps998276f1.jpg

Hello Guys
I didnt mean to start a fight here.... I hope I didnt get any enemies by starting this thread...

Anyway I learn alot from this thread and this is what Im planning to do.

I couldnt find an OEM 046 cylinder on the German ebay site so Im gonna use what I have...
I will port the original 044 cylinder and make a muflermod...
Should I get the bigger air filter from the magnum model or just keep it as it is...?

Hopefully the saw will beat a stock husky 372... then Im happy

If you sent a saw off to be ported, and came back with AM parts without your consent, you'd have a right to be pissed. However if that ever happened then that would mean you sent your saw to the wrong builder.

What does that even mean? Grand Torino's are sweet, and dropping one wouldn't be the end of the world. So by your argument if you have an old saw that has a failure, and OEM parts are NLA, but you can get AM parts to fix it you would prefer to just let the saw rot?

If the saws that old and broke then it needed to be replaced anywayz

Latest posts

Back