well i had nothing better too do

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deye223

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
gday all about a month ago i dropped a 60' stringy so an saturday it was cool enough to go and try a 390XPG that a AS member lent me with a veiw to purchasing if i liked it well it ain't going any where i think it was ported by brad
the 1st vid is the tree being dropped

[video=youtube;o6YkWDMCiDA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6YkWDMCiDA&context=C3c3c302ADOEgsToPDskJXSTZn-eF7NAxEzh8k5aqT[/video]

the 2nd is me puting log on the ground so it can be blocked for firewood and yes i do know if muttley keeps on ducking under logs he will not be here much longer

[video=youtube;is4UZncIJhY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is4UZncIJhY&context=C307dbacADOEgsToPDskKsudLI0aJD0VFi-zMd5CAQ[/video]

3rd is just a quick one blocking

[video=youtube;Kt5VoMsKdJQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kt5VoMsKdJQ&context=C3a59906ADOEgsToPDskKOnwpsUpzcj_ZJkwDCzVtf[/video]

well i had to take the others didn't want them too feel left out

[video=youtube;Kkiw4xM55jY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kkiw4xM55jY&context=C366f88cADOEgsToPDskJAQ-K8basx3WE36RVRmZw3[/video]

[video=youtube;u1rPYiKGc9U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1rPYiKGc9U&context=C38d30e5ADOEgsToPDskJ1rI6VTWUvMu450It_rOBW[/video]

cheers

Last edited:
and another thing has any one come across this looks like a titanium roller nose???

attachment.php

Good vids there Darren,im going to have to pull my finger out a do some more vids, got a new camera the other day.
Ha that bigger saw should have more white coloured bits on it ?.
I have a 36'' pro top with one of those orange sprocket noses on it,there good for cutting in the dark where you shouldnt be.:msp_wink:

Is the stringybark a good firewood? I enjoy seeing and reading about the different species of wood that you have downunder. I hope your post some video of your mm261 when you get it. I believe you will enjoy it.

Is the stringybark a good firewood? I enjoy seeing and reading about the different species of wood that you have downunder. I hope your post some video of your mm261 when you get it. I believe you will enjoy it.

well it dose the job main reason for useing it is it splits easy but red & yellow box & red gum blue gum suger swompgum are better if you can get it :cheers:

and yes i am looking forward to the arival of me new toy very much

Last edited:
That was a nice one!
Does it get that cold down under were you need fire wood?

yes it dose can get below 0 degrees c need a fire for about 3 or 4 months i'm down south in victoria up north you dont need one it's tropical cheers

yes it dose can get below 0 degrees c need a fire for about 3 or 4 months i'm down south in victoria up north you dont need one it's tropical cheers

Crazy, who would of thunk that.
Learn something new every day.

Good stuff Darren. Glad you're liking the saw. Good job with the tree too - even looked like it went the right way :D
Looks like hard wood too.
I'm wondering with that bar whether it was originally a 3/8" bar which has been changed to .404", hence the nose. I think that bar is .404"?

well they usually go where i want too fall and yes it is .404 got a spare nose with that bar in the deal and it is orange allso cheers

I'm in the Central Highlands in Victoria - ie 'down south' - and we burn for at least 6 months of the year. Winters are cold here - cold enough for snow a few days a year. The fire gets lit in March/April and stays lit nearly 24/7 until at least October. Fortunately, I live in the middle of the Wombat forest - 1/4 million acres of eucalypt forest. Mainly burning stringy, messmate, peppermint and candlebark. Sometimes I get swampgum or sugargum. But pretty much I'm just blocking up whatever has fallen over. Wood is wood, and it all burns hot enough to keep the family warm!

Yeah sorry - I threadjacked you. When someone asks 'does it get cold enough for fires' in Oz I just can't help myself. Round here the question might be better put as 'does it get warm enough to let the fire go out'!!

Nice to see what some other Victorians are up to on this site.

tim

no permits anymore how good is that.:D

Well... It's nice in theory, but in practice it doesn't amount to much. Firewood gathering is prohibited until March (I think) and the DSE aren't happy about the permits going, so they are cutting back on the firewood coupes. The coupes tend to be pretty sh!t wood to be honest, and the tracks get thrashed out by suburban heroes coming up on the weekends. I don't know anyone that lives around here that collects from the coupes.

The irony is, if a massive messmate comes down on the road and you happen to be the bunny caught cutting it up so that people can use the road, DSE get stroppy with you for 'unauthorised firewood collection'. :msp_mad:

Anyway, it's a bit academic for me at the moment: A massive candlebark came down at the back of our property over Xmas - took out 3 fences when it came down. If I want to collect firewood I toss the 576 over the back fence, cut what I can, roll the rounds back to the fence and split it and stack it. I've got over 4 cubic meters so far and haven't needed to start the car once! Nice.

Well... It's nice in theory, but in practice it doesn't amount to much. Firewood gathering is prohibited until March (I think) and the DSE aren't happy about the permits going, so they are cutting back on the firewood coupes. The coupes tend to be pretty sh!t wood to be honest, and the tracks get thrashed out by suburban heroes coming up on the weekends. I don't know anyone that lives around here that collects from the coupes.

The irony is, if a massive messmate comes down on the road and you happen to be the bunny caught cutting it up so that people can use the road, DSE get stroppy with you for 'unauthorised firewood collection'. :msp_mad:

Anyway, it's a bit academic for me at the moment: A massive candlebark came down at the back of our property over Xmas - took out 3 fences when it came down. If I want to collect firewood I toss the 576 over the back fence, cut what I can, roll the rounds back to the fence and split it and stack it. I've got over 4 cubic meters so far and haven't needed to start the car once! Nice.

Same down my way champ,the DSE fell on fridays so ya have to be there at sun upon Sat or ya miss out,i think it re opens March 1st.

Back