whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
getting the bucket stuck is the worst , there like lead sleds and they spin once and there sitting on the pumpkin , last time I buried my truck I had it on a completely dry yard , underneath a thin layer of moss was straight sand , the worst of it was I was 30 ft shy of getting at the tree and about 200ft from getting out around the side of the house , so we had to come along and drag the bucket with the dump to the tree and then drag it back out , managed to finally get it up on wood for half the trip , added 3 hours to the day . But anyway enough of my jabbering the chipper looks awesome man , your a good fab guy for sure !

I have got mine stuck a few times :bang: most of them where my fault, one, the worst one, wasn't. HO told me that I could drive in his yard, said no worries about damage , but its solid as a rock and you don't need to lay all that wood out. So I take his word, what he didn't tell me is that they had a massive ground water problem and his sump pump was double sized and ran constantly, wouldnt ya know, I found the dump out, hit it and buried it up to the axles in a instant, it just sunk. I made him pay for the big aas tow truck. I was so freaking mad and he was even more embarrassed. I barley got 2 words out before he waves me off and says "my fault! I forgot about that, I will pay for it" He did but, it wasted a day, and I didnt get paid for that.

Last edited:
Well, we went to take out those trees, they where blue spruces, not pines, was going to take just a few, ended up taken all of them, 7 total, just me and my boy, HOLY FREAKING CRAP! what a day, I could bomb everything but had a small LZ. So it piled up quick, tons of dead brush and I hate chipping that crap, breaks apart a soon as the feed wheels grab it. Not very big, but very close and a **** load of branches. In the process, I must have pulled my lower back muscles, cause I am having a hard time standing up. So I be chillin today, not doing jack.

Estimate day. See what I can dig up. Sold a cherry takedown for $2500 so far. It's on a nice estate about a quarter mile from both the shop and chip dump. More damn plywooding and stump grinding though. Landscaper wants me to dig a hole with the backhoe so they can plant a good sized maple nearby. A bit of a PITA, but work is work.

Waiting to get my pickup back from my buddy's shop in a bit here. Having shocks, struts, rear brakes, and some other stuff done to it. Got a 10:30 estimate at this fancy condo association here in town, so I'm not thinking the one ton will be a good impression. Lol. This thing has been scheduled for weeks, gotta meet with all the members and all that BS. I'm so not feelin' it, but I gotta do what I gotta do. Gotta run up to berlin and pick up the anvil and new hardware for the chipper at some point too. $320 there. Whatever, I love my equipment. Oh, and we're starting on the firewood for the house and shop too. Darkman is in season again. Hahaha.

Last edited:
I'm thinking we might have trouble turning out enough volume for it to be very profitable.

Well I was thinking to myself, when the heck do u use that shinny stuff. I mean, oh well, just saying :) My 1300 dollar whisper gets its back broke over and over and unless it breaks it doesn't get much attention lol. Ok my rambling is done carry-on

Btw my chipper would win ugly contest so if u guys wanna project :hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
Proud to say, new intake chute was a 200% improvement in feeding. Glad to say all that hard work paid off. Snapped a pic at the chip dump. My shiney paint is gone.:frown:

attachment.php

I have got mine stuck a few times :bang: most of them where my fault, one, the worst one, wasn't. HO told me that I could drive in his yard, said no worries about damage , but its solid as a rock and you don't need to lay all that wood out. So I take his word, what he didn't tell me is that they had a massive ground water problem and his sump pump was double sized and ran constantly, wouldnt ya know, I found the dump out, hit it and buried it up to the axles in a instant, it just sunk. I made him pay for the big aas tow truck. I was so freaking mad and he was even more embarrassed. I barley got 2 words out before he waves me off and says "my fault! I forgot about that, I will pay for it" He did but, it wasted a day, and I didnt get paid for that.

And we shall never speak of this again it's bad karma to bring up getting stuck , cause Bam then it happens , just like how I said to the mechanic "hey Ronnie I can't remember the last time one of us has been panicking looking for the first aid kit " , cause Bam last Saturday I was laying under the chipper crying and holding my hand calling my wifey on the phone to come whisk me off to the emergency room LOL

Had a pretty good day, looked at a job after we demo'd some pines and stumps. Think the guy was more of a tire kicker and cheapo, waste of a 1/2 hr (I think) priced it appropriately, we'll see. Guy gave us an extra $50 bucks for the first job (which was nice) I am liking the yellow jackets on my grinder. Have done about 75 stumps since I put them on and still cut/grind great! On another note, one of my guys brought me some literature on these. Timber Talon Log Trailers - Wallenstein Not sure how much they are, but are made 2 hours from me and look decent. Anyone have one or know someone that has one?

Last edited:
And we shall never speak of this again it's bad karma to bring up getting stuck , cause Bam then it happens , just like how I said to the mechanic "hey Ronnie I can't remember the last time one of us has been panicking looking for the first aid kit " , cause Bam last Saturday I was laying under the chipper crying and holding my hand calling my wifey on the phone to come whisk me off to the emergency room LOL

Lmfao A buddy of mine shut his finger in his car door last weekend I had to open it for him! Hows that hand now pard ? You climbing yet? I have climbed with broke wrist back in the day. Bills don't stop, It stinks to have to bare the pain but someone gotta pay the bills! :cheers:

Lmfao A buddy of mine shut his finger in his car door last weekend I had to open it for him! Hows that hand now pard ? You climbing yet? I have climbed with broke wrist back in the day. Bills don't stop, It stinks to have to bare the pain but someone gotta pay the bills! :cheers:

I had a burly fellow shake my hand this morning and almost dropped down on the ground and cried , but other then that its great! I pole clipped yesterday and every time the branch snapped the vibration through the pole hurt , so the doctor said its gonna take maybe a month to put it behind me ! And then the cold weather will take over and all my old injuries will be hurting

On another note, one of my guys brought me some literature on these. Timber Talon Log Trailers - Wallenstein Not sure how much they are, but are made 2 hours from me and look decent. Anyone have one or know someone that has one?

Devon,

Mike has one very similar. Bought it used from a guy up north. We used it on a willow job last month. Thing worked awesome.

Next time I'm at his yard I'll snap some pics and send them to ya.

Devon,

Mike has one very similar. Bought it used from a guy up north. We used it on a willow job last month. Thing worked awesome.

Next time I'm at his yard I'll snap some pics and send them to ya.

Yeah I thought so, he was telling us how he flipped it a couple times lol! Is it the same make? I am going to call Monday and see how much $ they are:msp_thumbup:

Yeah I thought so, he was telling us how he flipped it a couple times lol! Is it the same make? I am going to call Monday and see how much $ they are:msp_thumbup:

let me know devo i wouldn't mind being able to take my pickup out to haul logs like that if those things are decently priced i would be interested. I'm thinking they are gonna want something like 30 grand which i cant see since a 80.2 copma model is 22k and lifts like 4 times as much and has 4x the reach. would be better off just buying the trailer and having a small knuckle boom mounted on it.

2day...

...just worked in the shop all day getting things ready for next week... sure glad its cooled off... feels good not to be cooking out there... there is even a little breeze moving thru from the southeast... finished that big hedge job yesterday... the client came home at lunch 4 days in a row at exactly the same time... and everyday he stopped and poked around in my side box drawers... yesterday he got a surprise when he picked up a hot snap that i heated up with the propane torch... i think he got the msg... anyway hope you guys are all doing alright out there bustin ur hump... enjoy ur weekend...

...just worked in the shop all day getting things ready for next week... sure glad its cooled off... feels good not to be cooking out there... there is even a little breeze moving thru from the southeast... finished that big hedge job yesterday... the client came home at lunch 4 days in a row at exactly the same time... and everyday he stopped and poked around in my side box drawers... yesterday he got a surprise when he picked up a hot snap that i heated up with the propane torch... i think he got the msg... anyway hope you guys are all doing alright out there bustin ur hump... enjoy ur weekend...[/QUOTE

As a company policy, we try not to burn or injure our clients on their property. Studies have shown it usually makes them very upset and they tend not to pay the bill.

Well I was thinking to myself, when the heck do u use that shinny stuff. I mean, oh well, just saying :) My 1300 dollar whisper gets its back broke over and over and unless it breaks it doesn't get much attention lol. Ok my rambling is done carry-on

Btw my chipper would win ugly contest so if u guys wanna project :hmm3grin2orange:

I guess whenever there's a tree to cut?

Far as the whipper goes, just think of it as the difference between a real stump grinder (like the one you have), and one of them gay little 252 toys. Seriously.

let me know devo i wouldn't mind being able to take my pickup out to haul logs like that if those things are decently priced i would be interested. I'm thinking they are gonna want something like 30 grand which i cant see since a 80.2 copma model is 22k and lifts like 4 times as much and has 4x the reach. would be better off just buying the trailer and having a small knuckle boom mounted on it.

Yeah, that thing is pretty light duty. Boom is only good for 1200 lbs. and the trailer only for 5K. Not gonna cut it. If I was gonna go with a log trailer I would want something able to handle the work. Untitled Document Don't know the price difference but these you can get setup with a 6K lb. loader and a 25K gvwr. Not sure I would even want a log trailer though, leave my dump trailer behind quite a bit as it is, too unhandy trying to back it in most driveways around here. A big ass log trailer would be even more cumbersome, though much easier to load. I still think I'd rather a nice single axle log truck for it's maneuverability. But we're talking an entirely different price point too...lol

Latest posts

Back