whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man, I was just sitting here chainsmoking, slacking off, and a customer we did a job for recently came by and stalked me up (at least I wasn't drinking a beer yet, lol). I hate that!! Guy says "great job, are you going to send me a bill... my wife likes to have it in writing". Yeah sure. I mean why would one possibly need a bill for cutting down one tree.. and why would you stop by someones shop, and not just bring a ####ing check?? What, you really need to look at a bill that says basically "cut down one red maple, $1200". Wow, I'm sure that'll make their day.. wtf.. He's not a bad guy, just real anal about stuff like that I guess. The first time I worked for him, he had a map of the property all drawn out, with the trees marked out and what he wanted done to them, etc. Whatever, it's just winter money, the way I look at it at this point. Still.. bring the damn checkbook next time!!

getting the bucket stuck is the worst , there like lead sleds and they spin once and there sitting on the pumpkin , last time I buried my truck I had it on a completely dry yard , underneath a thin layer of moss was straight sand , the worst of it was I was 30 ft shy of getting at the tree and about 200ft from getting out around the side of the house , so we had to comealong and drag the bucket with the dump to the tree and then drag it back out , managed to finally get it up on wood for half the trip , added 3 hours to the day . But anyway enough of my jabbering the chipper looks awesome man , your a good fab guy for sure !

One word Winch, however; still have to make sure there is ample anchor to pull out! Luckily my bucket has limited slip so usually comes out with ease but if it spins at all, stop grab winchline and idle out :)

One word Winch, however; still have to make sure there is ample anchor to pull out! Luckily my bucket has limited slip so usually comes out with ease but if it spins at all, stop grab winchline and idle out :)

Well I don't have that technology ! My other option was call a tow truck use the tree to be removed and put a block on that get towed forward the 30 ft , and have him come back @ 4pm and tow me 230 ft backwards LOL :laugh: whatever though its ancient history to me , but every time I get stuck my truck gets a new rattle or whine

MURPHED down a 90ft. ponderosa pine in 6ft. sections

Im liking this Orange shirt my wife got me..lol

019-1.jpg

026.jpg

Came home today to put together all the painted parts for the chipper. Of course the stuff I had in the garage all day wasnt dry. WTF. It always seems to be something. Here is a pic of it finished, all i have to do is bolt on the safety bar and linkage. The paint i used this time matches pretty good. I will have to touch up the wheel wells now. Gloss ford red orange van sickel paint is very close. Gonna paint the old girl completely next year. Was just told new chippers with the tier 4 engines will be 20-30% more expensive.

attachment.php

Met up with one of the landscapers this morning to get him and his guys set on 2 projects. Spent a little time digging a hole with them this afternoon, reminded myself why I don't do any planting anymore. Don't bother using shovels, just a bar and sledgehammer. One of my friends has a firewood business, and his dump truck is down currently with some type of fuel issue... I believe they are waiting on parts. So I loaned him my chevy to make some deliveries, only my truck is having problems with the dump hoist... thing will just freeze sometimes. The two of us tried to replace the solenoid, ran into more problems, so we put the original one back and will mess with it another day. Returned the alturnamats I borrowed from another friend this afternoon, his Duramax is down, with what they thought was just a thermostat issue, turns out the head gasket blew, so I am off to help him in the morning. Gonna pull his log trailer around with Dodge Vader so he can finish up a couple of jobs.

Worked in rain today doing small removals. Miserable experience.
Tomorrow's forecast is about the only decent one for the next week. Got a large oak to subdue beside a house. Large cavity at base and about 30% + of the crown is dead. It is picture worthy, lol, so hopefully will have a pic or two to post tomorrow night.

The HO showed a competitor (a "certified arborist") my quote, and he decided to be cute and undercut me by 100 bucks. Not amused - I drove over to see her yesterday and she showed me his "quotation" which was jotted down on the back of his business card. Told her I wasn't gonna play that game. She said she would go with us. The mini is gonna get a work out, cause everything has to get moved about 100' across the septic bed.

I had a pretty long day and tonight my daughter played a softball game , i managed to get my 11 year old 6 th grader on a 16u travel team , and tonight she batted 5th for the 1st time on this new team and got a stand up triple off a starting high school pitcher who I saw drive herself to the game with her dad in the passenger seat , and this pitcher was no slouch she had 4 decent pitches , so we were all going crazy for her in the dugout and the stands ! Super cool for sure :hmm3grin2orange: so apparently aggressiveness runs through her veins as well !

Last edited:
Well I don't have that technology ! My other option was call a tow truck use the tree to be removed and put a block on that get towed forward the 30 ft , and have him come back @ 4pm and tow me 230 ft backwards LOL :laugh: whatever though its ancient history to me , but every time I get stuck my truck gets a new rattle or whine

Awww shucks sorry bro! I have an extra laying on my slab of concrete but not as big as mine on my bucket. I'm deciding what to put it on I don't want it on my dump prolly put on the 65 4 plus 4

HO for tomorrow's job calls at 9:45 p.m. tonight to say tomorrow will not work out for her - wants to wait about 2 weeks cause she is going away, blah blah blah. Unbelievable. This is after I spent a good hour or better loading up the alturnamats & plywood, mini, etc. in the rain so as to get a jump on tomorrow morning. I felt my blood starting to boil. I absolutely hate getting jerked around, and if the job doesn't start well, it likely won't end well. She is a referral from another client, so I didn't want to get too testy on the phone, but it was a real struggle to not reach through the receiver to strangle the dingbat.

I'm so busy right now, booked right into November. I should be happy, but I can feel a spectacular crash coming outsida work. Do I jump off the ship or go down with it. Its my ship BTW, and my fault.

HO for tomorrow's job calls at 9:45 p.m. tonight to say tomorrow will not work out for her - wants to wait about 2 weeks cause she is going away, blah blah blah. Unbelievable. This is after I spent a good hour or better loading up the alturnamats & plywood, mini, etc. in the rain so as to get a jump on tomorrow morning. I felt my blood starting to boil. I absolutely hate getting jerked around, and if the job doesn't start well, it likely won't end well. She is a referral from another client, so I didn't want to get too testy on the phone, but it was a real struggle to not reach through the receiver to strangle the dingbat.

That sucks for sure Dave! I find when something like that happens, I usually get a call for a bigger and better job! (or a big storm hits!) lol!

Rain has finally stopped here, -1 out though. Have some nice easy pines to remove today. I threw in the stumps for a good price for the customer to get the job, as the 2 other bidders (hackers) don't have grinders! :msp_biggrin:

Latest posts

Back