whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wtf some one stole my bowling ball and shoes out of my car last night but they left the 12 pack and my girls ball... :msp_mad: I dont get people sometimes I mean parked right behind my car was my pickup (unlocked) with a chainsaw on the front seat and probably 400 bucks worth of hand tools laying around the truck on the ground. and they take a f'n bowling ball???

Coulda of been worse you coulda woke up with your bowling ball through your truck windshield

Coulda of been worse you coulda woke up with your bowling ball through your truck windshield

true but at least I'd still have the ball :monkey:

its ok now the gun next to the front door now will be kept loaded and we are putting in driveway alarms in a triangle around our cars theres to much to loose in my work truck and my dads work van that is kept at my house

I did two crane removals today in the mountains. A big sugar pine, leaning over a house, and a oak tree on the other side of the house. There was no place for the crane to maneuver because of other trees and wires. All he could do was make the pick with the boom almost vertical, and move it over about 10ft max and lay the pieces down next to the house.
I had to use a 066 with a 42in bar on the sugar pine and double cut the last pick from the ground.
Three hours of work I made three days pay. sweet.
Jeff the CO and owner out of rim forest is the best operator I'v ever worked with and its always a pleasure to work with him.

2day...

...sore...been wielding a hedge cutter for the last two days... got a few more days to go... the weather finally broke so its not so hot...something weird happen today... the client came home while i was eating lunch and the side box was open on the truck... he stopped and was looking around at some of the open drawers full of different snaps, biners, and cable gear... i was on the opposite side of the truck and heard some of the stuff clanging around... i did not do anything and nothing was missing but it kinda bothered me...this guys a rich #####... i guess hes one of those guys who feels entitled to do anything he wants cuz hes filthy rich or hes simply really curious... looking forward to the check and getting the #### out of there....

Well i am working on my intake chute today. Its like the never ending welding job. I have to of used about 25lbs of welding wire on this bad boy. Its pretty much all done, except i have to finish up the new forward / reverse handle and connection linkage. God i hope i get this done today.

Don't cry just do it.

Sorry. Just had to do it after seeing that in your sig. :laugh:I

We're gonna need step by step pics ya know.

I have to fab some mounting plates for a new axle on my leaf vac today and put a new axle on an enclosed trailer i that the bearings ate up the axle end. Got a new arc welder but need to
have an outlet wired up for it. Hopefully can get a buddy iut here for that or might have to call an electrician out.

Last edited:
Well, did a whole crap load of stumps yesterday, boring as heck but made some good cash! My truck/trailer/stump grinder were like a big bill board, had quite a few people come up and ask me to do their's while I was in the neighbourhood. Made it even better! Looked at a few decent jobs on the way home and went 3 for 3! Raining here today, rented out my 12" chipper to a friend of mine. Have some small jobs lined up and stumps to do again so we will see what happens!

Been having a blast the last 2 days. Yesterday we got the crane over to 1 job to finish up from last Tuesday when we got rained out. Took about 2 hrs from the time we pulled in until the time we pulled out to finish 1 norway maple, and get another black birch out for the original job. Went to the next site, backed the crane up the driveway, got leveled out, only took about half my cribbing trailer to do so, whacked out a couple good pieces and had lunch. Spoke with the operator after lunch... what do you want to do for getting home? He wanted to pull the crane apart when the front bumper was 5' off the ground and take it back to the yard. What a moron, pissed me off. They came to get him at 2:00 though because we only had another 6 trees to go, all with really good capacity and a nice area to set stuff down, plus the crane was already set up. Wake up this morning, and it's raining. Not sure where it came from, but it was raining. Crane company says either I work today, or they take the crane. Operator shows up, it's pouring. He broke the crane down alone and left. Normally I just hand the operator a blank check to bring back to the office and they call me with the amount... this time they can send me a bill. Figure it will take a solid 45 min to get the crane set up again when they decide to come back, time that I will be billed for. I'm gonna sit on their money this time... let them wait. They want to bill me for the time it took to break the machine down today. F that. For all I care they can sue me for the damn money.

Just row yer boat down the stream, bro.. all I can say!!

$259 bucks for Simonds knives for the chipper. Seems a bit high. I really wish we could get to the bottom of this deal with the Zenith vs. Simonds knives. I figure I'll order the anvil and other hardware from bandit tomorrow. Gonna have a beer at the moment.

I got a job with a 3.5' dbh euc with almost zerp dropzone coming up. Had the crane guy look at it today and crane will unfortunately be a no go due to the narrow street.

It'll be very difficult without a crane. No contract yet for this though we have been doing a bunch of other work at the house. Not sure if I want to proceed without a crane. Very rarely would I think that 4500 is not enough for a single tree but man this thing will be time consuming and hard on my equipment. What was I thinking? I am considering if there is an honorable way to back out of this one.

Got the chute and forward reverse handle and linkage done today. So so glad. I painted it this afternoon. I will post a pic of the finish product tomorrow cause I know everyone wants to see it. Here is the before and after pic. Hopefully this bigger intake table will help out alot.

Before:

attachment.php

After

attachment.php

Does anyone know a good way to judge how tight to make the down pressure springs on the feed roller arm?

I got a job with a 3.5' dbh euc with almost zerp dropzone coming up. Had the crane guy look at it today and crane will unfortunately be a no go due to the narrow street.

It'll be very difficult without a crane. No contract yet for this though we have been doing a bunch of other work at the house. Not sure if I want to proceed without a crane. Very rarely would I think that 4500 is not enough for a single tree but man this thing will be time consuming and hard on my equipment. What was I thinking? I am considering if there is an honorable way to back out of this one.

Sounds like a fun tree, if you do it, let me know. I'd even come up and look at it if you want. I love a challenge.

Got the chute and forward reverse handle and linkage done today. So so glad. I painted it this afternoon. I will post a pic of the finish product tomorrow cause I know everyone wants to see it. Here is the before and after pic. Hopefully this bigger intake table will help out alot.

Before:

attachment.php

After

attachment.php

Does anyone know a good way to judge how tight to make the down pressure springs on the feed roller arm?
Tha is a good Q, I have always just tightened them a bit after awhile of work, seems they stretch a bit after time, You can over tighten and break them, I did it last year, had to get new springs, guess I should have asked the dealer, but that would have made too much sense.
You better replace that brittle old site tube on the Hyd tank, its getting to the point where if someone bumps it, it will shatter, just did mine, I bumped it at a job and crap started flowing, what a mess. Nice new clear plastic hose at the hardware store did the trick.

Blasted a pin oak and a cherry. I really missed that dump trailer tho!

Taking out a few ausy pines today, then tomorrow, hopefully my last day as a independent contractor, I will go up after one branch at the Girls house (first lesbian couple, legally married in the states) NO DANNO!! They are not hot, they are grandmas!
They have been the best custys ever, so it will be fitting to end it there

Last edited:
Tha is a good Q, I have always just tightened them a bit after awhile of work, seems they stretch a bit after time, You can over tighten and break them, I did it last year, had to get new springs, guess I should have asked the dealer, but that would have made too much sense.
You better replace that brittle old site tube on the Hyd tank, its getting to the point where if someone bumps it, it will shatter, just did mine, I bumped it at a job and crap started flowing, what a mess. Nice new clear plastic hose at the hardware store did the trick.

I replaced my springs last year. I tightened up so a business card came slide between the coils, but I can pick it up still barely. Dealer told me to crank the crap outta if them but I am very leary. Good catch on the hose. Never thought about it. My to do list keeps getting bigger.

Before:

attachment.php

After

attachment.php

Nice job Jared

Thanks. Lots of work

That is pretty sweet!! You don't think you'll have any problems with the lower part of the chute digging into steep driveways when backing in, do you?? Probably not, but I just always look for worst case scenarios. The beaver tail (is that one word or two? lol) on my trailer will do that if I'm not careful.

That is pretty sweet!! You don't think you'll have any problems with the lower part of the chute digging into steep driveways when backing in, do you?? Probably not, but I just always look for worst case scenarios. The beaver tail (is that one word or two? lol) on my trailer will do that if I'm not careful.

Its actually has 2" more of ground clearance. But it is a foot longer now. Its something you gotta watch. Only ever had one time it bottomed out, but I was trying to back off a driveway down a steep hill into the back yard. After I thought about it, it was a really good way to get stuck in the back yard so we dragged everything out. Sucked

Its actually has 2" more of ground clearance. But it is a foot longer now. Its something you gotta watch. Only ever had one time it bottomed out, but I was trying to back off a driveway down a steep hill into the back yard. After I thought about it, it was a really good way to get stuck in the back yard so we dragged everything out. Sucked
getting the bucket stuck is the worst , there like lead sleds and they spin once and there sitting on the pumpkin , last time I buried my truck I had it on a completely dry yard , underneath a thin layer of moss was straight sand , the worst of it was I was 30 ft shy of getting at the tree and about 200ft from getting out around the side of the house , so we had to comealong and drag the bucket with the dump to the tree and then drag it back out , managed to finally get it up on wood for half the trip , added 3 hours to the day . But anyway enough of my jabbering the chipper looks awesome man , your a good fab guy for sure !

Back