whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thats what I always though I musta been doin it wrong the whole time :msp_tongue:

interesting day today, we have a whole bunch of new ground guys coming in these days apparently after a couple weeks some, atleast one, still does not grasp that you must close the pintle :msp_sneaky: I was behind him our crew made a right turn he kept going straight, half way around the corner and all of a sudden I just see the biggest shower of sparks I ever done did see. atleast he put the chains on. ahh nothing like a new guy or 5 to keep you on your toes

Curious. With the new guy's. Are they allowed to be un-supervised? Sound's like some one in management screwed up!
Maybe you, eh?
Bunch of new guy's not being supervised is stupid.
Jeff :msp_confused:
You were behind him and did not look at his rig before he (the 'New Guy)' left the yard?

Curious. With the new guy's. Are they allowed to be un-supervised? Sound's like some one in management screwed up!
Maybe you, eh?
Bunch of new guy's not being supervised is stupid.
Jeff :msp_confused:
You were behind him and did not look at his rig before he (the 'New Guy)' left the yard?

I guess after 2 weeks we figure they should have the basics down plus dude supposedly been a groundie/driver for other co's before for a decent amount of time. his work shows it but not his driving skills...(or his trailer coupling skills)
I may have been behind him on the road but I was not behind him when I left the yard my crew was out of the yard 10-15mins before them we had to stop at the gas station to fuel up our little stumper and the pick up, so they were able to catch up he was on another crew who had its own crew leader who was responsible for him and I had 2 new guys of my own who made it to the job WITH there chipper... and I ain't management, I don't get paid for that crap lol

if it makes you feel any better I did not supervise my self this morning enough! we had to swap everything over from one bucket to another I got side tracked and I forgot the blower so I had to use the broom instead, funny thing about it though is the lady we were working for was so impressed that we didn't just use one of "those gas blowers to just blow everything into the neighbors lawn like all the other companies" she gave us a tip

Last edited:
My upper management - unpaid accounts handler.

473d396e-5e21-8d71.jpg

473d396e-5e2e-e7c1.jpg

473d396e-5e3a-8823.jpg

473d396e-5e9f-6b12.jpg

473d396e-5eae-310b.jpg

Last edited:
I guess after 2 weeks we figure they should have the basics down plus dude supposedly been a groundie/driver for other co's before for a decent amount of time. his work shows it but not his driving skills...(or his trailer coupling skills)
I may have been behind him on the road but I was not behind him when I left the yard my crew was out of the yard 10-15mins before them we had to stop at the gas station to fuel up our little stumper and the pick up, so they were able to catch up he was on another crew who had its own crew leader who was responsible for him and I had 2 new guys of my own who made it to the job WITH there chipper... and I ain't management, I don't get paid for that crap lol

if it makes you feel any better I did not supervise my self this morning enough! we had to swap everything over from one bucket to another I got side tracked and I forgot the blower so I had to use the broom instead, funny thing about it though is the lady we were working for was so impressed that we didn't just use one of "those gas blowers to just blow everything into the neighbors lawn like all the other companies" she gave us a tip

hear ya, I had a weird day also. Just blowing off steam and your post is where I blew it. Sorry.
Jeff

Today?

A few short hours of collections and estimates. Got a week's work out of it, though, maybe more if one big job gets approved.

The next three-weeks is going to be busy, but should yield some solid cash. I smell a good bottle of bourbon in my future. :)

Took down about six fence row trees overhanging a condo.

Then met and shook hands with Jake Varner, 2012 Olympic Gold Medalist.

Turned about 500 ft. of arborvitae into a 12 ft. high hedge. I'm sure there's a good fast way to do it but I haven't found it. Not a good job for someone with OCD.
Phil

Blew a tire on chipper going home today. Had just exited hwy onto a secondary road, so that was good.
Limped it the rest of the way. Made a bit of a racket, but tire remained on rim.

Raccoons #3 & #4 this summer bit the dust last week.
My Indian runners (ducks) are just like watchdogs, but it is hard to get back to sleep after 4am warfare .
Set a couple of conibears in backyard to get a groundhog pillaging the veggies, but that prick is a lot smarter than a neighbour's stray cat was...

Removed a hazardous maple, don't ya love it when you lay into some wood and your blade is so sharp that it makes you laugh. Getting 1/2" ribbons from cross cutting. Makes for a quick day! HO was a older single gay chick, she was real happy, so happy that she had to hug my cute little 110 lb wife, for some reason tho, she didn't hug any of the guys. When she did it, she had her back to me, wife was facing me during the embrace, gives me this WTF look! IT WAS AWESOME!

We are stayin' in today, big yard sell this weekend. Gotta unload 10tons of boys clothes.

Bunch of pruning today.

For once in my life we might have over bid a job. My foreman, Jeff, bid 600 on a job that took about 2 hours for my 3 man crew. I never saw the job so I emailed the customer to make sure she was satisfied. In her response she asked why it cost so much and that she would love to hear a little context on the price.

My guys only made 1250 that day as the other job was 650 and took about 5 hours or so. I do not want to seem stingy with her as I try to be really accommodating to my customers. I have never had one balk at the price AFTER the job was done though. Not sure exactly how to respond. I do feel that I charge a little more than many of the companies out here but I am not the top-dollar guy. Regardless I underbid jobs a whole lot more often than overbidding!

Stoked for my wife and I to fly out to CT to see my folks tonight. Gonna take out an incidental maple in Newtown on Monday.

Tell her for once everything went as planned and the work got done efficiently because you are a pro. No use trying to explain the cost of running the biz, that part they really wont understand.:dizzy:

Bunch of pruning today.

For once in my life we might have over bid a job. My foreman, Jeff, bid 600 on a job that took about 2 hours for my 3 man crew. I never saw the job so I emailed the customer to make sure she was satisfied. In her response she asked why it cost so much and that she would love to hear a little context on the price.

My guys only made 1250 that day as the other job was 650 and took about 5 hours or so. I do not want to seem stingy with her as I try to be really accommodating to my customers. I have never had one balk at the price AFTER the job was done though. Not sure exactly how to respond. I do feel that I charge a little more than many of the companies out here but I am not the top-dollar guy. Regardless I underbid jobs a whole lot more often than overbidding!

Stoked for my wife and I to fly out to CT to see my folks tonight. Gonna take out an incidental maple in Newtown on Monday.
I did a big white pine last year around thanksgiving time and the yard was basically all weeds and junky grass when I sold the job I didn't notice there was a gate just wide enough for my big bobcat , I thought I was gonna have to bail out 60 or so with the mini through the front gate , well at 11am when the tree was skinned I asked if I could sneak in and grab the wood in 10 ft pieces and they said sure , so @ 2pm when we were blowing off I thought it was great and all was good , little did I know that the HO was about to lay a raft of #### on me , complaining about how I said I would be there til 4/430pm which I would of without big bob, then she proceeds to tell me that the tree cost them a good xmas for the kids , so I immediately went from zero to #### and said I had no idea , but ya wanna know what , keep your ####### money I dunno want a damn cent and I left , not 2 hours later she called me crying and apologizing , she asked me to come over and get paid , so my wife grabbed the phone and told her the 1600 wasn't worth the bad kharma and the bad mouthing she was bound to do . Her husband called me and came to my house the next day and tryed to pay my wife LOL she said nope and get off my porch , finally he sent me a check certified and through in 100.00 tip LOL

In the brief but extremely blunt conversation my wife basically told him how dare you put something like were ruining your xmas on my husband he's a father too and that your a real piece of #### for doing that to him , don't call again ever and if you have friends like you don't give our # to any of them ! She was hot she wouldn't deposit that check until finally I ran outta money and had too like 5 weeks later .

Dont worry bout the over charging, it prolly didnt even the ones out you underbid? I had a Lady & thats a stretch to call her such who hired us to remove a large cherry by a white picket fence hanging for the most part in her neighbors yard.

she proceeds to tell me " I want no debris left" "no sawdust either" "I just want the stump cut as low as possible"..... well maam we will have to carry all the debris down through your terraced landscape & out through yer 30" gate..........her reply "yes you will & dont drag anything nor hit my house" & BTW the neighbors an idiot, we dont get along!

so im thinking oh great this should be fun? bid that job for $2400 to cover all the BS Im gonna go through, we arrive & she firmly lets us know AGAIN that she wants nothing in her yard!!! so in the contract I write it up dot the I`s cross the T`s.... well the neighbor comes out & Im thinking Oh God!!! heres where the sun shines down on me.....he says hey Ill remove a section of that fence & you can drop the whole tree in my yard.............WHAT? yep I want the whole tree dont cut it up PLEASE!

we set the rope with a throw ball, he has the 8ft section of fence down & I Murphy drop that big daddy into his yard!! flush the stump, rake 1 shovel full of sawdust & run the blower on the yard for good measure & I go collect my check!!! now mind ya I have like 4 men, dump, chipper, bobcat, trailer...... that old bird was hyper & couldnt believe I wanted the full $2400......I told her its done according to the contract & I highly doubt you would of gave a tip or cared to if we had to do it as originally thought.

She said thats doing yer job...............Yes maam & I did my job "nothings in yer yard & the total due is $2400"

LXT

Latest posts

Back