whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't see the point to have these or a shackle.
They gate looks. Chinsy too you could totally wrip it open , a good hook is only as safe as the gate , and yea why not just choke the eye and slap it on the hook ? I dunno seems like a lot of reinventing the wheel , and now your rigging is heavier and more complex ! Hey matt before you buy those hooks think about a piece rolling and jumping the hook .

They gate looks. Chinsy too you could totally wrip it open , a good hook is only as safe as the gate , and yea why not just choke the eye and slap it on the hook ? I dunno seems like a lot of reinventing the wheel , and now your rigging is heavier and more complex ! Hey matt before you buy those hooks think about a piece rolling and jumping the hook .

Good straps are surprisingly inexspensive, I think that's all you need.

Nice job, paul! I get people asking me if mine is new all the time. I think they're even more impressed when I tell em I just painted it. I think they figure if I take that much pride in my equipment, it must extend into my treework as well. :msp_wink:

Im finely getting the carpet done in my basement. Ive been home waiting for the carpet layers to get here. They just pulled up time to go to work.

Nice job, paul! I get people asking me if mine is new all the time. I think they're even more impressed when I tell em I just painted it. I think they figure if I take that much pride in my equipment, it must extend into my treework as well. :msp_wink:

Thanks! It was getting to the point of being embarrassed pulling it and pulling up to jobs. People think its new and it seems new to us.

totol wash out today, couldn't even convince the guys to come in and split wood... fixed a couple saws and now catching up on some office work.. yawn...

I had planned to take out a couple of smallish white pines and a red maple today, but when I woke up it was raining. Said F this and went back to bed. Wish the weather guessers could get it right for a change.

Yeah, kind of a crappy day here too. My helper had to take the day off for a doctor's appointment for his medical card, anyway.

Got 16 trees to look at pruning later.. sounds interesting, says they need to be climbed. It's in a money area too, so some decent potential there. Got another call I'm kinda dreading returning, one of the richy condo associations here in town, wants to know if I'm interested in helping them "put together a large tree management program". Sounds like a lot of headaches and BS to me... that and one of the other local hackers will probably just end up skinning the #### out of them anyway (sicking the mexicans on it). I guess I should probably return it anyway... maybe I do need to work on my silver tongued arborist line a bit, it just already sounds like a PITA. That and I have a bill or two I should be making out. Funny I should find myself here, slacking off.. lol.

I just went yesterday to check on a bid I had put in with a HOA. 3 sugar maples, all rotten and in serious decline, everything goes but the stumps. Told them $5,300... they had 2 other quotes; $4,200 and $4,300. The one for $4,300 they kicked off a job last year, so I'm suprised they were even allowed to bid this one. Found out that the job I was going to help a friend with this weekend is going to be cancelled due to some projected crappy weather. I'm also supposed to haul an excavator to a friend's place on Friday for him to use over the weekend... not sure where that stands now.

Might get some saw maintenance done I guess. Got a couple estimates scheduled for tomorrow, see what happens with them. Now I'm finding out that I may have a problem getting the operators that I like for next week. Got at least 2 days booked for a 33, but if I can't get an operator that I get along with I may have to cancel.... and there are very few people that I actually get along with.

Chipper looks good painted its original color , you were smart not to paint it with gold flake prolly woulda hurt the resale value if you want another machine identical to that curb feed and all I have one here for 5K runs strong and looks decent but you could toss a quick coat of amor yellow and it would be a jewel ! Me I pass on paint clean and well maintained is enough a fresh coat of paint don't fix a leaky louie !

I think somebody's BOX, is the only thing leaking. Lol.

But I am trying to be good (and it ain't ####ing easy), so I'll leave it at that, and get off to my 4:00 estimate here in a bit.

Yesterday I did a bunch of small " just put it on the ground" jobs in the morning. Had a large Ash (100') on a steep hill with primaries nearby below. Luckily we only had to rig a few of the branches down, the rest was cut and drop. Took the trunk in 12' sections. Maybe the customer can call around and sell them. Was too late in the afternoon to continue on the other two trees (Basswoods).
Today on the way to breakfast, spot these turkeys on the side of the road.
View attachment 254385
Then during breakfast at the cookhouse we spot this young deer out the window.
View attachment 254386
The wildlife up here in the fall is amazing.
Off to do the basswoods and what was supposed to be an easy "climb, cut and drop" job, turns into a "rig every twig down" due to the hydro lines near-by ( below). Man did I mess this quote up.
Oh well, we took it slow, to be safe and got the job done. I estimated a half day on the two basswoods, but it ended up being the day.
Ya win some, ya lose some. Still made $, just not as much. Most importantly, job was done safely. :)

Back