What are you building with your milled wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
speaking of Walnut (my favorite wood), here is a Queen Ann Style
Hall Table.
Drawer bottoms are Spanish Cedar in Walnut slips.
The Walnut is Home milled with an alaskan and air dried.
The finish is shellac (french polish).

speaking of Walnut (my favorite wood), here is a Queen Ann Style
Hall Table.
Drawer bottoms are Spanish Cedar in Walnut slips.
The Walnut is Home milled with an alaskan and air dried.
The finish is shellac (french polish).

Just beauftiful... Gene you've been making furniture a good while, no? Havn't I seen you on another forum somewhere? You're work is just beautuful.

Royal Ann cherry.
I got like 300 plus short logs of it this spring, and milled up about 50 of them. Nevertheless, the sap was up when they took out the orchard so I have been letting them dry a bit before milling the rest of the logs up. This wood still has plenty of movement left in it but will work for the few projects that I made with it.

The spalted alder was cut from a round firewood. However, I got a dozen logs tucked away that are starting to spalt nicely.

Sweet work!! Another nice table Gene. When you guys used air dried assuming it sits for a year a inch have you guys ran into any problems that are unique to air dried wood like having to compensate more for movement?? I have never built furniture but would like to build something out of some stuff I milled this summer down the road. I'm sure this has been discussed here before just thought i'd ask. thanks and take care

Beautiful tables! French polish looks so good.

Most of my work is air dried cherry and birch. I take only routine design allowances for shrinkage and movement. No special issues.

Thanks guys,Yes Woodshop, Ifrequwnt a couple of woodworking forums
but I always come here for my milling fix.
Irish, after air drying to about 15.% I store my wood in my woodshed.
That gets it down to about 8. or 9.% Then I bring project wood into my basement shop for a month or so, that gets it down to around 7.%
From that point it behaves just like any other wood.
Personally, I think Air dried wood feels better under hand tools, planes,saws,spokeshave,carving tools etc. (kinda has a creamier texture) and looks a bit richer to my eye.
Gene

I am making this flag case that will be displayed at the fossil museum for a family member. The whole case including the trim is made from a 4/4 x 14”x 5’ board of clear fiddle back black walnut that I milled and stored in the top of the barn for two years. I still have a couple coats of finish to put on it, The back will be put on with screws and lined with felt to hang a few of his military and lions awards on. The ¼” glass front has a slot so it can be slid in from the top. The case will lay flat on a counter top type surface.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nice Job Backwoods!That is some nice figure for walnut.Some trees are really a cut above the others sometimes.Looks like that one was special.:)

That was a nice 24” log. You could tell from the end that it was well worth milling. I got a nice stack of 14” boards with out any sapwood, I have been saving them for my entertainment center, but this project deserved the best wood I had on hand. I still have plenty left for the intended project. I got the glass for it today and got another coat on it. Still have to find the felt for it.
Thanks for the complements. I took extra care to get good tight joints. That trim piece took longer to make then the box did. I can point out all seven flaws but no one that has seen it up close has been able to find one yet.

Alot of tallent on here!!!

Thanks for the pics. and post....Enjoy seeing what ya'll is making....:cheers:

Hey Guys,

I have mentioned the small workshop I am building on my land, in a couple different posts. Here are a few images of it. It is made of white pine, cottonwood, and the floor joists are larch. All but the larch was milled from trees on my little piece of land with my Alaskan small log mill and my ms441. I bought the larch, from a guy down the road, for its rot resistance. I didn't have anything suitable for floor joists growing on my 3 acres.

Not as highly finished as some of the nice work you guys are showing on here, but there was a lot of milling that went into it so far. I am going to mill the siding as well.

Thanks for posting! That looks like a nice strong workshop your building.Good Job.:clap:

I have a place in Jefferson County. The 144sq’ rule applies there with building permits. Porches are not included in the sq’. I did not ask about coved porches, I just did it. A porch would look great on that work shop. Very nice.

Wait.. you mean we're supposed to make things out of this stuff?

Okay, I'm in, even though the quality of the work posted so far makes me feel kind of shy. I built this end table out of Katrina salvage: spalted maple and oak.

table2.JPG

tabletop.JPG

Finish is wax over shellac.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting! I like rustic furniture.That finish looks good.Nice work.:clap:

Latest posts

Back