What are you building with your milled wood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave and Andy, I see you both are making good use of your milled lumber.Here's an update on the guitar i'm building .It's starting to finally look like one.I'm working on the neck right now, so i can put it together.

Dave - I like that bench!

Here's some stuff that all involves the first tree I milled a few years back, an elm from someones back yard here in Portland. I've got some black locust that's dry now, some English walnut that's almost ready and lots of oak and cherry that's still green but so far the elm is the only self-milled wood I've used.

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

Slabmaster she's already looking like a beauty that ash looks like it makes some good guitar wood!! Keep it up can't wait to see it when its done!!

Got the neck fitted and fretted today.Still have to cut the end of the frets off when the glue dries.

Looks great

Mark,

Looks great so far I hope they sound as good as they look...

Whats the plan for finishing? lacquer?

Mark

Mark,I'm going to seal it with shellac, then about 12 coats of nitro lacquer.

Last edited:
Can't begin to compete with a guitar builder, but this is a little something I made for my wife for Christmas. It's a towel rack to be place in one of our bathrooms.

Christmas006.jpg

Christmas005.jpg

This is a picture of the log that the wood came from

Log002.jpg

Looks like a saddle rack. I love it.

It’s not a guitar, but I put up this little portable planner shed, and will be setting the planner up in it shortly. That will be music to my ears. I built the shed using some 20” wide 1” Doug fir. The runners underneath are Redwood, so it should hold up good over time. The whole shed was milled from this one ugly log.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Backwoods,That's A great use of that log.It sure made a nice looking shed.Great Job! :clap: Mark

Slabmaster,

Any updated pictures of the Guitar project?

Mark

Hi Mark,Yes , I started number two.Here's some pics. of it. It has ash sides and quilted maple back with walnut center stripe.I'm planning on building a curly maple and walnut neck for it to match the walnut rossete i made out out walnut.I'm also building a flute for my sister out of walnut.

Last edited:
It’s not a guitar, but I put up this little portable planner shed, and will be setting the planner up in it shortly. That will be music to my ears. I built the shed using some 20” wide 1” Doug fir. The runners underneath are Redwood, so it should hold up good over time. The whole shed was milled from this one ugly log.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nice work! That is a good look'n planner shed.

Slabmaster

I have always wanted to try my hand at an acoustic. Do you have a good book you can recommend to get me pointed in the right direction??

Latest posts

Back