What chain to buy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I would like to finally settle on one type of chain to buy and trying to decide which one I like best. I really like Stihl out of the box but never seem to be able to hand file quite back to what it was. Oregon doesn't stay sharp as long but I am able to get a much better edge on it than I can with the Stihl. Woodland Pro seems to fall in the middle. No outstanding characteristics but you've gotta like the price.

What to do? What to do?

Maybe your sharpening problem with the Stihl chain is your file choice.
I highly recommend Save Edge files on all chains but especially on Stihl.
The metal is harder and even the Stihl brand files don't match a Save Edge file.

If the Woodland Pro works best for you...maybe that's your best bet...
And as you said...the price is a plus.
Bailey's sells the Save Edge files...so if you buy Woodland Pro chain...add to order.
:cheers:
J2F

My experience is Stihl holds and edge longer and I prefer Pferd files.

I bought a box of Pferd files so I will be using them for while yet.

Thanks for your input. After giving it some thought, I'm leaning toward Oregon simply from the fact that I love the Husqvarna roller guide and it is designed to work on Oregon chains.

Any body got any experience with "Lazer" brand saw chain???
My Google search of Laser Chain showed it WAS made by a company named Saber
that WAS a division of John Deere and went out of business about 2000-2002.

Just curious...??...Do you have some and use it...?? Why did you ask about it..??
J2F

I bought a box of Pferd files so I will be using them for while yet.

Thanks for your input. After giving it some thought, I'm leaning toward Oregon simply from the fact that I love the Husqvarna roller guide and it is designed to work on Oregon chains.

I would prefere Oregon LP/LPX.

The Roller guides can be used on at least some Stihl chain, but needs to be slightly modified.

I have recently seen some Laser chain in the shop, and if memory serves me correctly it looks like Oregon style cutters - but I don't remember what the drivelinks look like.

I would prefere Oregon LP/LPX.

The Roller guides can be used on at least some Stihl chain, but needs to be slightly modified.

Modified? I use the Jonsered roller guides on my Stihl .325 and 3/8 chains without modification and they work good. I believe the Jonsered guides are the same as the Husky guides.

I think the Stihl chain last longer between sharpenings, and that makes for a overall longer chain life. I absolute hate sharpening Stihl chain, the last one I got seemed like half the cutters was rock hard......Had to make several swipes with a new out of the box file just for a touch up. I did put a gallon and a half through my 372 today dropping and bucking trees in 19' lengths (mostly pine), and the chain was still sharp and I never even touched it up through out the whole day.

The Oregon may not last as long, but thats what Im going back to. A 20'' loop of Stihl RSC is $35.00 at the local stihlership! I can almost buy 2 Oregons for that online.....and not go through near as many files :laugh:.

I started buying Carlton/WoodlandPro and I'll never go back. The cutters are longer, it's easier to sharpen and it holds an edge.

As was mentioned, Stihl is crazy expensive and Oregon seems to contain cheese instead of steel.

WP chain doesn't have as much of an advantage price wise as it once did, but it's still cheaper.

and more better. My two cents.:rock:

I think the Stihl chain last longer between sharpenings, and that makes for a overall longer chain life.
The Oregon may not last as long, but thats what Im going back to. A 20'' loop of Stihl RSC is $35.00 at the local stihlership! I can almost buy 2 Oregons for that online.....and not go through near as many files :laugh:.
Last 2 loops of 20" Stihl RSC I bought off eBay were $32 incl. shipping from a Stihl dealer
Boxes were marked with $18.95 price stickers.
J2F

I think the Stihl chain last longer between sharpenings, and that makes for a overall longer chain life. I absolute hate sharpening Stihl chain, the last one I got seemed like half the cutters was rock hard......Had to make several swipes with a new out of the box file just for a touch up.

I hear ya. I had LGX on one saw and RCS on another and went to sharpen them both. The Pferd file took a nice cut on the LGX and the chain was quickly sharp. On the Stihl, it would just chatter across the cutter.

I like the price of oregon better. Last I bought was $.14 a dl. Stihl does stay sharp longer but at 40% more cost I can't justify it most of the time.

I like the price of oregon better. Last I bought was $.14 a dl. Stihl does stay sharp longer but at 40% more cost I can't justify it most of the time.

I was wondering where I would catch you tonight. I had a 24" "limb" fall off a silver maple in my backyard which I finally had time to finish cutting up today. I haven't cut any wood this summer as I don't need any and it has been too hot. I used the 2171 and holy crap, I had forgotten how fast it is. I know it was only silver maple but dang, that saw is fast.

Thanks again, my friend!

I would like to finally settle on one type of chain to buy and trying to decide which one I like best. I really like Stihl out of the box but never seem to be able to hand file quite back to what it was. Oregon doesn't stay sharp as long but I am able to get a much better edge on it than I can with the Stihl. Woodland Pro seems to fall in the middle. No outstanding characteristics but you've gotta like the price.

What to do? What to do?

I have ran Oregon, Woodland Pro, and Stihl chain. Like you said the WP is in the middle and thats why I like it best. Oregon is too soft and I hate hand filing stihl. Then again what do I know, I just cut firewood.

Your welcome wendell. I run a lot of oregon as the price was right. I always buy the cl since it's cheaper than lgx from madsens. When round filing it holds an edge for a 2-5 tanks depending on wood species. The stihl I got from the buildoff will go about the same before it starts getting a touch dull. I even run some of the square ground 5 tanks before touching it up. If you don't hit a lot of dirt they all hold an edge plenty long enough for me.

Back