What chain to buy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RSC when you can get it for cheap is where it's at. RMC too. I can get it for less than oregon right now so it's a no brainer. It's harder to sharpen, but get your hands on some save edge files and you're in the clear (have no fear!). It has really really good grind geometry out of the box, so you have to do a damn good job hand filing to match the out of the box performance. I also generally like to put a little bit more of an uptilt on it and drop the rakers down when I get it. ......

I like RSC too, particularly in 3/8". A mistake that many do is using the same 7/32 file as on most other 3/8" chain. Try 13/64 files (what Stihl recommends), and the results may be better! The first file strokes will also be easier to do properly.
The thicker chrome makes it impossible to get the Stihl chain as sharp as well filed Oregon. :msp_wink:

Why do you like LPX better than LGX?

Smoother entry into the logs and limbs. I have no idea why it happens, but it is easily notisable.

It also is better for borecutting, because of the different raker arrangement. :msp_smile:

Last edited:
Well, I picked up a loop of H46/LPX this morning.

Niko, are you sure this is better?!?

Looks like it is almost safety chain with that double raker and I can't see how it would be better for boring.

Looks like it is almost safety chain with that double raker and I can't see how it would be better for boring.

Because the raker itself is much smaller, and don't interfere as much with the cutting at the tip as those large ramped rakers of other chain, like LGX and RSC.

Btw, both Stihl and Carlton have copied the basic design, but made "green" chain out of it by making the ramps too large, and still using that large :msp_sad: ramped raker. This misleads some to believe the LP/LPX is in the same category - but it isn't! :smile2:

Because the raker itself is much smaller, and don't interfere as much with the cutting at the tip as those large ramped rakers of other chain, like LGX and RSC.

Btw, both Stihl and Carlton have copied the basic design, but made "green" chain out of it by making the ramps too large, and still using that large :msp_sad: ramped raker. This misleads some to believe the LP/LPX is in the same category - but it isn't! :smile2:

RSC3 cuts like doo doo butter.

Trust him, he's right. I prefer LPX myself, but like was said I like LGX also. It bores ok.

A couple have said the 2 share the same cutters. If you dont include the rakers thats right but I include the raker when speaking of cutters so that is not really true. If you buy a single cutter, the raker comes with it don't it?

Honestly I have some of everything here as far as chain types and brands. Day in day out with price included its hard to top Oregon to me.

I'm done with the inconsistent quality of the Carlton, I'm not buying any Stihl chain either as its too hard to sharpen and to me it really dont stay sharper much longer if at all then the Oregon.

To hijack my own thread, can anyone tell me what chain would be on an old Craftsman Barracuda with "33" stamped on the driver? There are no other marks and no identifying marks on the roller nose bar (and yes, Aaron, it really is a roller nose).

The cutters are really tiny and a 5/32 file seems definitely too big.

Trust him, he's right. I prefer LPX myself, but like was said I like LGX also. It bores ok.

A couple have said the 2 share the same cutters. If you dont include the rakers thats right but I include the raker when speaking of cutters so that is not really true. If you buy a single cutter, the raker comes with it don't it?

Honestly I have some of everything here as far as chain types and brands. Day in day out with price included its hard to top Oregon to me.

I'm done with the inconsistent quality of the Carlton, I'm not buying any Stihl chain either as its too hard to sharpen and to me it really dont stay sharper much longer if at all then the Oregon.

So what do you call the part that actually does the cutting? The tooth? I see what you're saying, and I don't disagree, but by definition a cutter is a "tool or thing that cuts something"

To hijack my own thread, can anyone tell me what chain would be on an old Craftsman Barracuda with "33" stamped on the driver? There are no other marks and no identifying marks on the roller nose bar (and yes, Aaron, it really is a roller nose).

The cutters are really tiny and a 5/32 file seems definitely too big.

The 33 should be that small cutter .325 pitch safety chain as far as I know and it uses a 4.5mm file. Bigger then a 5/32 and smaller then a 3/16.

Can you post a picture of that chain?

So what do you call the part that actually does the cutting? The tooth? I see what you're saying, and I don't disagree, but by definition a cutter is a "tool or thing that cuts something"

I just wanted to point out the raker differences between the 2 styles. The way it was posted made it sound like they were the same except for the bumper links.

I think most of us here would include the raker with the term cutter.

I was told that the ramped raker on the LPX was not good for bore cutting, but Ive never tried bore cutting :msp_biggrin:.

Despite a ramped raker the LPX bore cuts nicely as Sawtroll mentioned but I've only tried it in sofetr pine. Despite my earlier doubts it is a very good chain. The actual ramp is a fair way below the raker height so you have a fair bit of sharpening to do before having to play with the ramp height.
As far as full chisel goes the LGX is excellent - I don't think it's quite there with Stihl RSC for wear but great chain regardless. The price difference between both the Oregon and Stihl would certainly see me choosing the LGX although I mainly use semi chisel.

The 33 should be that small cutter .325 pitch safety chain as far as I know and it uses a 4.5mm file. Bigger then a 5/32 and smaller then a 3/16.

Can you post a picture of that chain?

My camera can't do macro so I don't think a picture would help much. It is not safety chain. It looks like LGX but about half the size. I tried to use a 5/32 file but it is digging into the tie strap. I think it must take a 1/4" file.

My camera can't do macro so I don't think a picture would help much. It is not safety chain. It looks like LGX but about half the size. I tried to use a 5/32 file but it is digging into the tie strap. I think it must take a 1/4" file.

Well, you need to do your math again... A 1/4" file is huge, much bigger then 5/32:laugh:

3.5 - 4mm I'm thinking. I'm not sure what sizes are available in metric but that may be what you need.

Why would a metric chain be on an old Craftsman saw?

Although I will say I question if the gauge is right. It is a little loose on the bar.

I've seen some strange stuff come thru here. It may not be metric, but could be an odd obsolete file size?

It could be. I had thought just to try a regular chain on it but the rim sprocket that is on it is correct and the drivers are so close together I just don't know what size it could be.

It's got an outboard clutch so I'm just going to have to pull it and figure out what it is.

Latest posts

Back