What chain to get with NEW 261

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ERICMXZX440

Reaction score
After 2 months of solid reading on this site I finally pulled the trigger and purchaed a 261. Comming from a Craftsman saw, all I have to say is WOW! I am on the 4th tank of fuel and every tank the saw seems to have more and more pwr.

I am now going to buy a couple spare chains for the saw. I am looking for recommendations on what style chain and what thickness. I am mainly cutting clean wood. I am also no expert at sawing but I can handle and know how to handle a saw.

I want to thanks everyone on this site for all the good reading and real life experiences that helped me on this decision.

yellow non safety chain will cut the best, compared to green label chain.

Use Stihl RSC... It's up to you to keep er' out of the dirt.:laugh:
Enjoy that new saw. :rock:
Oh, and what size bar did they send you out the door with?

I run a 16" b/c on my 261. Stihl RSC is all that I own, and have been very happy with this setup!

Clean wood ya say? RSC!

But pick up a loop of RM as a spare.

Sooner or later you'll come accross an ugly dirty pile of really nice Oak or Hickory, and the RSC will go to spitting dust quick.;)

Troll and his LPX...the only thing besides death and taxes that is predictable.:D

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

LP actually is faster than RSC in .325, so I assume LPX is as well, and has longer cutters that will last longer. :msp_smile:

just get the rsc chain. if you run into some dirty wood, put the rsc3 safetey chain that came on the saw back on it. the rounded cutter will stay sharp longer in the nasty stuff. it is also easier to learn how to file on, it is much more forgiving than a chisel chain is. you will need a .325 pitch .63 guage 74 dl rsc chain. enjoy the saw that i wish i had:cry:

LP actually is faster than RSC in .325, so I assume LPX is as well, and has longer cutters that will last longer. :msp_smile:

Faster right up to the point ya make a second cut.:potstir:

Oregon chain is proof a crusty dog terd can be chromed.;)

Saves on file wear though.:msp_w00t:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I was impressed with my Oregon LGX chain. Its 3/8" but after a day cutting live oak its still wicked sharp.

Whatever is standard on an MS211 (Stihl RMC?) only lasted a half-day in cedar which is softer.

Last edited:
If you are ever on the east side of town, go to cutters choice. They sell laser brand chains made by carlton. I think they are like $13 a chain for an 18" chisel. I have had good luck with them. Around Erie, they are $3 or so cheaper per chain.

I rate Oregon LGX basically right up there with Stihl's RSC :cheers:

RSC is far better than that LPX safety chain though ;)

Uh oh, now I've done it :D

Yep, LPX isn't more of a "safety chain" than LGX and RSC are, with their large ramped rakers. The LPX has small slim rakers, and a seperate ramp - just another way to do it. :D

Back