What do you have left???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just took a look today and have about 2 cords left of good stuff. I feel caught short this year, but I'm very motivated to build a surplus this year. I also have an additional cord or more in rounds waiting to be split and stacked. The rounds are Maple, Beech, and a bit of ash.

I have about 3.5 cords of shagbark hickory, hornbeam and oak in my near storage that I thought I would get through this winter. I am thinking that on my next load into the garage I might hit my shoulder season stacks and pull in some birch, ash and linden. I can't see wasting the high BTU stuff on spring. I was out cutting this morning and there were buds on all of the maples so we must be near done with this winter.

Hmmm...hadn't thought o fthat. I don't have any shoulder season in dry storage but do have a cord plus of Box Elder cut last summer outside. I might check that to see if it is burnable yet. Got lots of Black Locust left in the shed, more than enough to carry me through.

Harry K

Same as last year, and the year before...two cords is what I burn a winter here. I have a tight, insulated, Warshington "bungalow". I did turn on the electric heat when I left on the trip to Collyfonia last month.

I have at least a year stored outdoors under a tarp. I'll rearrange the woodshed next month and fill it back up. We do have fires into June here, and campfires after that. Lots of hotdog roastings.

I've more to cut and will fall some little firs for a friend. The hemlock I had cut down is proving to be too knotty for me to split. Scandihoovian Candles are the future uses for those sections.

i have a 5cord woodshed and have 2 left. i have 11 cords stacked around the shed. this weekend i started stacking all this ash i got in the shed. im running out of roomView attachment 282685

I am down to my last cord....cord and a half. I cut back on the number of fires I had the last 3 weeks, but now that March is here, I'll start up again.

Thought I had plenty last fall. That won't happen again!

I already have 4-5 cord in log length piled up. I have at least 2-3 cord in trees that are marked to be cut this spring.:hmm3grin2orange:

10-15 yrs worth. Just wish I had enough inside storage to keep it from going bad. Of course, I've brought another cord and a half home last 2 days

wow, thats pretty good! got any pics?

I daydream about having one of the broiler houses here slap fulla wood.

Mine

I have a little less than a half cord of nice dry red oak.

Some white that I can burn (next years wood) and a little stash of hickory.

Next year I will either cut more or sell less. I don't know which one yet.

wow, thats pretty good! got any pics?

I daydream about having one of the broiler houses here slap fulla wood.

Broiler house would be ideal. I'lll get some pics, wood is scattered in about 5 places for various reasons. Probably left 25 cord laying on the ground for another guy last 3 yrs, landowner needed trees cut and we did not have time to mess with firewood so I cut to length and ring the dinner bell for him! This is my wood from yesterday, 21 rds scale weighed at 3,000#'sView attachment 282715

Down to about a cord of oak & shagbark, a cord of scraps left over from the house build(pine, hemlock, cedar, poplar) and a big slab pile down by my sawmill that needs to be bucked up...about 2 cords worth.

I'm guessing I used 4-5 cord this year so far

The plan this year is to build a wood shed and stuff it with at least 10 cord.................

Broiler house would be ideal. I'lll get some pics, wood is scattered in about 5 places for various reasons. Probably left 25 cord laying on the ground for another guy last 3 yrs, landowner needed trees cut and we did not have time to mess with firewood so I cut to length and ring the dinner bell for him! This is my wood from yesterday, 21 rds scale weighed at 3,000#'sView attachment 282715

Dont you like those perfect rounds?

Down to about a cord of oak & shagbark, a cord of scraps left over from the house build(pine, hemlock, cedar, poplar) and a big slab pile down by my sawmill that needs to be bucked up...about 2 cords worth.

I'm guessing I used 4-5 cord this year so far

The plan this year is to build a wood shed and stuff it with at least 10 cord.................

I havent done it, but was thinking..lot of places you can get old clapped out single wides for hauling them off. Gut one, set it on blocks, stuff that. 10 cords should fit, heck, leave enough for a little mancave on one end. Like a bathroom and bedroom, then woodshed the rest. Open windows on dry days, shut them on rainy days.

One of my bros did that to store hay in for his horses. Cut a big hole in it, rolls in the bales.

Dont you like those perfect rounds?

Dude, talk about heavy!!!! Think that tree was over 100 yrs old, top blew out couple yrs ago and lodged, 2 days to get it all down. Think my claim of 15 yrs was excessive, scaling back to 8-10. I only burnt about 2 cords this yr, live alone and keep most of the house closed up and I don't like a warm house anyway. Burning a little extra right now to cook maple syrup on the stove with bedroom door closed and window open!!!

Dude, talk about heavy!!!! Think that tree was over 100 yrs old, top blew out couple yrs ago and lodged, 2 days to get it all down. Think my claim of 15 yrs was excessive, scaling back to 8-10. I only burnt about 2 cords this yr, live alone and keep most of the house closed up and I don't like a warm house anyway. Burning a little extra right now to cook maple syrup on the stove with bedroom door closed and window open!!!

I know thats right! Had a big hickory like that last summer, down a hill that goes to a beaver swamp/pond (the pics are way back up in the show me your woodpile thread). Had to quarter them to carry them back up to the trailer. Seems to me it was 2.5 trailer loads. Theres another 15 or 20 of those monsters in that same area I have to cut. I am going to try and switch to a bit more mechanization before that. They grow fast there too, like three times faster than normal, when the boss first built the farm there, they got logged and it all went to the hickory handle factory. Now they are all grown up again.

Absolutely nothing left.

See my problem is people keep calling me, and I keep selling them wood, so I am scrounging wood from various sources, so we are not cold.

I have about 25 cords drying for next year, but I am seriously behind compared to last year. I am still working on it though, our summers are so hot it will all be dry.

Dan

Absolutely nothing left.

See my problem is people keep calling me, and I keep selling them wood, so I am scrounging wood from various sources, so we are not cold.

I have about 25 cords drying for next year, but I am seriously behind compared to last year. I am still working on it though, our summers are so hot it will all be dry.

Dan

I made that same mistake a few years back. Sold too much and when winter dragged on, ran awfully low on my personal supply. Never again! I put up twice what I think I will need for myself and then still leave a cord or two unsold for me or family member or close friend. If it just sits, it will be the first wood I sell next season.

Back