what is the best built saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well now, I'm pretty new here but I'm bettin' this ain't the first time a thread has been started with such a question. And, I'm bettin', and giving odds, that I know exactly where this thread is goin'.

Best built saw?
Any saw I'm trying to trade or sell... no doubt about it.

My 262 is hard as a rock and built like a tank. The choke lever for example , you could probably stand on it without it breaking;)

Stihl 08s

Built like a tank - powerhead so reliable and hard wearing it was used for the TS 08 and TS350 Cutquik saws on construction sites and also the Stihl Auger.

Must have had one of the longest production histories as well.

Oh - and it also has no plastic on it to get broken.

Last edited:
It has tobe the Poulan Wild Thing because everybody and his brother has one. That many people can't be wrong.

Stihl 08s

Built like a tank - powerhead so reliable and hard wearing it was used for the TS 08 and TS350 Cutquik saws on construction sites and also the Stihl Auger.

Must have had one of the longest production histories as well.

Oh - and it also has no plastic on it to get broken.

I have to agrre on the 08S comment as well. Ive always heard you could not wear out an 08S.....

The MS180 or well one particular MS180, that a customer of mine owns.
It was purchased in June of 2003, it been used professionally over 200 days a years since new. It has had no less than 6 rear handles replaced on, from falling out of a bucket truck. But other than the rear handles and service items, it is all original. It still has good compression, and runs like a watch, there's no way it should still be running but it is.

I still like the McCulloch SP125 the best. It has one of the best oilier systems out there as well as a good and reliable anti-vibe system. The engine is good for a couple thousand hours and has enough power to pull a 4'-5' bar. It may not be the most powerful of the McCulloch line, but is has all the features necessary for a production cutter. I also really like the shape and feel of the saw. Not bulky at all for a 123cc power head.

Stihl MS200T is the best climbing saw

img2114j.jpg
img2114f.jpg

Last edited:
has to be stihl 026 just cant break it . i know that my buddies husky 346 cuts faster but ii never runs rite so my 026 cuts more. LOL

The air filter cover is a weak spot on the 026. The space between the top cover and the air filter cover makes it easy for something to get in and the attachment (plastic twist knob) of the filter cover is too weak imo. Otherwise it is very robust I agree.

I think a lot of you are confusing your "personal favorite saw" or "best in class saw", with the "best built saw". Several very good running saws have been mentioned, but I wouldn't call them the "best built". Best built is a very tall order that eliminates a lot of saws. The 260 is one of them with it's major carb and filtration issues. They're both a huge bottleneck. Of course that's just my personal opinion:cheers:

The air filter cover is a weak spot on the 026. The space between the top cover and the air filter cover makes it easy for something to get in and the attachment (plastic twist knob) of the filter cover is too weak imo. Otherwise it is very robust I agree.

:agree2:
Look at pictures of 026's... on the majority of them, the air filter cover knob is crooked and is only latched on to one of the air filter studs. I have one where the air filter cover simply cannot be latched right. I can't figure it out. The intellicarb on the later 026 and 260 is a real improvement.

The 026 has a number of weak spots -- control lever on these models is particularly chintzy, but it was (is?) a pretty solid design overall. IMO.

I'll through this out there. Its just my biased opinion, like everyone elses, LOL
The 3400/3700/4000 series Poulans. The 4000 being my personal favorite. But all are very easy to work on, simple and straight forward. Heck, I can work on them.:D They are a pleasant mix of magnesium & plastic, made in America.
:cheers:
Gregg,

Latest posts

Back