what is your definition of the word hack?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the clients wants his trees hacked and knows the consequences.........then it's not hacking?

.......and when a person across street that doesn't know any better hires a tree company that doesn't know any better, gets the same type of hacking work done.........then those guys are hacks?

Wonder how the trees see it.:)

+1 A professional in the tree care field is someone who acts in the best interest of his client and his client's property even if his client is clueless about what is best for him and his property. He is unwilling to compromise on ethics and principles of the trade.

A hack, then, is someone who lacks complete knowledge of or possesses disregard for what is ethically, financially and/or situationally best for his client and his client's property; typically, acting in his own best interest for the short-term rather than the long-term best interest of his client.

Last edited:
I didn't know the origin of "hack". Thanks.

"colloquial slang" Hmmm...That would best be called "trade jargon" in this case. It's not local, it's occupational. Just helping out !

Actually you're right. That particular slang version of the word hadn't made it to the Oxford English (by the 1984 edition anyway). It originated on Fleet St in London which could deem it local so I awarded myself 1/2 a point! I however agree with your point so thanks.

I appreciate your comments, but I will contend with you for that 1/2 point!

Even on Fleet street, only the journalists would have been familiar with the term, thereby limiting it's usage to "trade" rather than local or colloquial.

I can't help it. I just love to debate about silly stuff like this.

I appreciate your comments, but I will contend with you for that 1/2 point!
Even on Fleet street, only the journalists would have been familiar with the term, thereby limiting it's usage to "trade" rather than local or colloquial.

I can't help it. I just love to debate about silly stuff like this.

I have no documentation. I'm going to have to let this one ride! I need a new dictionary dammit! I removed the half point!:)

Webster's Definition is my definition:

1 a: to cut or sever with repeated irregular or unskillful blows b: to cut or shape by or as if by crude or ruthless strokes <hacking out new election districts> c: annoy , vex —often used with off

I have no documentation. I'm going to have to let this one ride! I need a new dictionary dammit! I removed the half point!:)

That's no fun!

Tell me: are most of the English actually careful in their use of the language, or are they generally as poor in it's implementation as the Yanks?

Liza Doolittle from George Bernard Shaw's Pygmalion comes to mind here.

angled backcut

How about anyone who uses an angled back cut....I LOVE THE ANGLED BACKCUT...lol...
You folks did know that the steeper the angle of the backcut, the better the hinge works>?

That's no fun!

Tell me: are most of the English actually careful in their use of the language, or are they generally as poor in it's implementation as the Yanks?

Liza Doolittle from George Bernard Shaw's Pygmalion comes to mind here.

I always try to be careful at times like this or when writing a letter, but I can be as sloppy a talker as the next man. There is a whole host of regional slang in the UK, and it varies from county to county and even city to city.

I had good grades at both English Language, and English Literature (Pygmalion was one of my exam books BTW!) I love, and am very proud of the language however when I'm in the pub with my cronies back home I will revert back to the use of regional slang (even though you would probably say I sound like James Bond! or my American Auntie says Mick Jagger LOL!) words like 'bostin' Birmingham talk for brilliant! or 'wicked' London talk for brilliant although that has spread beyond the nation. (wicked is not in my vocabulary I hasten to add).

I suppose generally I'm well spoken, when I'm when I'm with a customer discussing their trees for example, but then again if things are not going to plan I could be sloppy talking to my guys. For the most part pdql old chap I'm awfully well spoken. Toodle pip!

My own words? when there is no pride.

Now there are many definitions of the word. For one it means to manage successfully.

Now lets try to define a word with less than 16 meaning, lets try professional. Go ahead give it a go, while you are at it The Dan will speak.

A man with coins in his pocket does not mock a man who sleeps on a steam vent. No he does not. He is thankful that it is not himself who sleeps on a steam vent. The best thing a man can do is help the man sleeping on the steam vent. In doing so he demonstrates his feelings of pride, concern, and professionalism for himself and what he is doing in this world.

.... (even though you would probably say I sound like James Bond! ....

I suppose generally I'm well spoken, when I'm when I'm with a customer discussing their trees for example, ...

I read once that persons with an english accent are presumed (in the US) to be better educated, have better manners, etc.

I'll bet that helps you close a lot of sales. Especially down in texas, where speaking good english is considered a special job skill.

I read once that persons with an english accent are presumed (in the US) to be better educated, have better manners, etc.

I'll bet that helps you close a lot of sales. Especially down in texas, where speaking good english is considered a special job skill.

I think it does, although it's not something I would ask a client. It actually doesn't mean anything though, for example a nameless friend in England who's parents are absolutely loaded gave him the best education that money could buy but he just didn't grasp most of it. He's a really nice guy and is extremely well spoken, he's just not 'Brain of Britain' he runs a landscape business now.

Harry Enfield a British comedian does a skit about a character that is practically aristocracy but extremely 'thick' called 'Tim nice but dim'.

I had no idea that being well is considered a special job skill in Texas, however I'm closing as a percentage a much greater amount of sales than I was in England. All I need now is the call volume that I had in England.

Anyone from England BTW would spot immediately that I was from Birmingham even though I don't have a thick accent. People from various places here in the US assume that I'm Australian. I sound nothing like an Australian!

my definition of the word hack is everyone at some point, we all had a first day we all sucked and had a boss who wanted to wrap his hands around our throat at least once. i don't use that word often. you cannot call someone a hack for doing his best, only someone who knows that his/her work is incorect but does it anyway with no reguard

I think the term sucks, myself. I don't like to label anybody with something like that because I see it as asuming they can't learn or change. Nobody deserves that.

Back