What makes a Pro saw a Pro saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Plastic" is not the plastic your grandpapa knewor you think about. This ain't The Graduate (remember when he was making his fiancee's mommie ?). There are so many ":plastics" or polymers that it will --not may--blow your mind boys and girls. :agree2:
There are "plastics" used on space shuttles for re-entry protection; "plastic" used in my favorite handgun, Glock ; "plastics" for bullet-proof vests; "plastics" used in high tech applications where most metals would fail in hard use.
JMNSHO from the back woods.:jawdrop:

Last edited:
I respectfully disagree with the bearings comment. The only thing better than roller needle bearings is 2 pairs of angular contact bearings, Haven't seen a saw with those yet. With all due respect, just a machinist/pseudo designers opinion

What about the drag?

"Plastic" is not the plastic your grandpapa knewor you think about. This ain't The Graduate (remember when he was making his fiancee's mommie ?). There are so many ":plastics" or polymers that it will --not may--blow your mind boys and girls. :agree2:
There are "plastics" used on space shuttles for re-entry protection; "plastic" used in my favorite handgun, Glock ; "plastics" for bullet-proof vests; "plastics" used in high tech applications where most metals would fail in hard use.

It's made from genuine plastic, not a cheap imitation!:)

I have dropped many echos out of many trees and I still use them today. Heck, sometimes I even toss them out of a tree just to climb down easier.

I bought a solo and it fell one time and the plastic broke. There are my parents plastics and there are the new plastics. Live with it, some of the new stuff is good.

echoman

I have dropped many echos out of many trees and I still use them today. Heck, sometimes I even toss them out of a tree just to climb down easier.

I bought a solo and it fell one time and the plastic broke. There are my parents plastics and there are the new plastics. Live with it, some of the new stuff is good.

echoman

Ball bearings on the mains

Chrome impregnated cylinder and piston

Balanced motor

300psi oiler

Starts easy and works all day long

echoman

any saw that wil be on the earth 100 years from now and still be usable:cheers:

Hi,

There are a lotta good mechs out there that know that the good saws will probably be there "100 years from now".

Those are the saws that are made 50 years from now.

It will never change with small engine technology.

There are the mechs like me that know!!!!!

There must be fuel, There must be fire at the right time, And there must be compression.

So, eliminate any one of the three and you have 2.

For any gasoline engine to work (start and run), all three must happen at the same time.

echoman

i know basic 2 stroke

what i mean is look at engine design 30 plus yearz ago and then compare the design of todays sawz. todayz sawz are electronic ignitions and and require tight tolerances as far as assembly. look at all of the older sawz built before 1970 there is boat loads of the dinosaur sawz still being run today , then look at how many new sawz are parts after a few hundred hours. also look at the new saw in the eyes of then enviros at the epa they mandate that they fit in a certain emissions window,we as userz end up modifying them just to get them to work right. how many of the pre 1970 sawz needed tweaking when they were new very fewwww.
:cheers:

One of the finest threads ever. Comparable to The True Story of Andreas Stihl !! :clap: :clap:

"wood heats you up 3 time. once when you cut it, once when you split it and once when you burn it" And, where the H did this come from ? Maybe Henry David ? Damn, wood warms you at least 8 ( count 'em, "eight" times ). :givebeer:

Ready ?
1. Gas and oil and sharpen saw.
2. Get to tree.
3. Fell tree ( using wedgies of course )
4. Limb tree.
4. Buck.
5. Clear debris.
6. Hump bucks/butts to carrier, or skid to yard.
7. Unload whatever.
8. Split ( firewood thing ).
9. Stack for later W.A.S. ( The Woodpiles )
10. Carry splits to stove.
11. Load stove ( then clean up according to orders )
12. Empty ash pans.
13. Repeat as necessary.:monkey:

echoman

Ever hear of a chainsaw lanyard?

As for what makes a pro saw;

It'd need to have:
  • adjustable oiler
  • decomp valve
  • spikes w/chain catcher
  • tool holder
  • screw on caps
  • good power to weight ratio
  • inboard clutch, with replacable rim sproket
  • proven tests for reliabilty and longevity along with durability
  • good quailty chain

Last edited:
Pro saw for me!

Available parts.
Dealer with actual experience with a saw and can actually help U if there's something you wondering about.
Starts and runs on idle.
Easy to change chain and bar.
Good balance.
Good power/weight ratio.
AS members recommend it

:givebeer:

As for what makes a pro saw;

It'd need to have:
  • adjustable oiler
  • decomp valve
  • spikes w/chain catcher
  • tool holder
  • screw on caps
  • good power to weight ratio
  • outboard clutch, with replacable rim sproket
  • proven tests for reliabilty and longevity along with durability
  • good quailty chain

Well, with that list, you've pretty much ruled out any Stihl chainsaw built in the last 10 years! :popcorn:

Well, with that list, you've pretty much ruled out any Stihl chainsaw built in the last 10 years! :popcorn:

I was listing what it would take to make a pro-saw IMHO

As for the clutch, I'm talking about the 361 stock setup. That's outboard correct with the clutch drum being on the outside?

Not like the populan wild thing or the craftsman 18" which has a clutch inboard (that you have to remove the internal clutch shoe set before you can get the outboard clutch drum off with the sprocket on it.

Originally Posted by echoman8 View Post

echoman

Well the ground must be soft or the trees are low on that score, dropping saws from up high it's busted handles, busted triggers, busted AV mounts, that's what happens in the real world, don't matter what make saw it is either. You can drop any saw one time and the plastic'll break, conversely you can drop a saw 1/2 a dozen times and nothing will break, it's just luck is all.

PS. It's true, drum sprockets don't belong on pro-saws, I want rim sprockets for my 335's and 200t's, where can I get em? Won't hold my breath waiting for an answer though... :cool:

I was listing what it would take to make a pro-saw IMHO

As for the clutch, I'm talking about the 361 stock setup. That's outboard correct with the clutch drum being on the outside?

Not like the populan wild thing or the craftsman 18" which has a clutch inboard (that you have to remove the internal clutch shoe set before you can get the outboard clutch drum off with the sprocket on it.

What you are describing is an inboard clutch. An inboard clutch has the clutch inboard toward the engine. Whether a saw has an inboard or outboard clutch is describing the position of the clutch not the sprocket. A Stihl 361 has an inboard clutch.

What you are describing is an inboard clutch. An inboard clutch has the clutch inboard toward the engine. Whether a saw has an inboard or outboard clutch is describing the position of the clutch not the sprocket. A Stihl 361 has an inboard clutch.

Thanks for the info, I had it backwards :dizzy:

Edited the pro-saw list.

Back