What makes the MS 261 better than the 346 XP?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tonight I saw my first 346xp at the farm store.

It had like a dual chain brake thing on it?? A handle that went over the back handle. It seemed awkward to me. I am assuming they are not all like this.

Called a Tri-Brake or something like that. The dealers around here do not stock that model and that's fine with me. Too easy to get a reg model.:)

"What makes the MS 261 better than the 346 XP? "

NOTHING.

They are BOTH really great saws IMHO and I've used both even though I'm prejudiced towards the 346XP as I've got a new one -- it was $50 less at the dealer than the Stihl and that was a decidiing factor.

Art

Called a Tri-Brake or something like that. The dealers around here do not stock that model and that's fine with me. Too easy to get a reg model.:)

When I saw that it was a total put off. I would have never condsidered buying one set up that way.

what makes the MS 261 a better saw than 346 XP ?

Redemption !!!

well, it is Good Friday today, and those who have been sinful, may want to adopt the Opus Dei kinda practice and punish themselves with a heavier and bulkier saw. This way your pain will be greater and more of your sins forgiven.
LOLZ
just a bit of fun.
happy Easter everybody.
PS. rabbits must love us for turning the forests into plains.
also it is Earth day and we do commit deadly sins you know ? (not me coz so far I`ve planted 10X more than I took down. :D )

Cool beans, that’s one for the stihl team! What WOT RPM is your saw currently turning?? What bar and chain combo are you running?? Inquiring minds would like to know.

For RPMs don't know. B&C 20" with Stihl yellow chain .325.

When I saw that it was a total put off. I would have never condsidered buying one set up that way.

Same here. I've only seen a picture and I laughed.:laugh:
Added wieght and gizmos. At least it's an option and you can still get the regular 346xp:msp_thumbup:

Last edited:
If I get a 261, one thought was to just get the power head only ($500) and put my 260's 16" Oregon Pro Lite bar on it. It's for 3/8" chain so I'd have to get a new sprocket too.

Would that combo be less or more desirable that a 261 with a 16" Stihl bar and .325" chain and why?

I'm getting a little off track here but I'm selling my 260 either way. Maybe I could sell it for more or more easily if I offered it with the 18" bar it came with AND the 16" Oregon Pro Lite. ??

Last edited:
If, or when Husky replaces the 346, I would not trade my old one for the new model, even swap, with no money.
:cheers:

Even when the 346 replacement has a better filter than the 261, is 9 ounces lighter AND more powerful??:msp_smile:

Even when the 346 replacement has a better filter than the 261, is 9 ounces lighter AND more powerful??:msp_smile:

No, I would not trade my old 346, but I might consider trading the new one, not likely though.

I have two saws on my radar right now, the new 562xp and/or a 372xp. I rarely need a larger saw and when I do, the 357xp will handle it. But I've been hangin around here too much. ;)

Trio-Brake.

It is meant to force the user into holding the saw properly, but in reality it is just a :monkey: weight increaser, that easily gets in the way.

Btw, it is far from a new design. The ol' 242xp was availiable with it, at least in Sweden.

I don't understand why they suddenly have started promoting it....:confused::confused2:

Trio-Brake.

It is meant to force the user into holding the saw properly, but in reality it is just a :monkey: weight increaser, that easily gets in the way.

Btw, it is far from a new design. The ol' 242xp was availiable with it, at least in Sweden.

I don't understand why they suddenly have started promoting it....:confused::confused2:

Especially on a pro saw. I can see it with the homeowner saws since there is so much written on kickback that a new chainsaw user believes it is some mystical force that can happen at any moment regardless of technique and is totally unpredictable.

No, I would not trade my old 346, but I might consider trading the new one, not likely though.

I have two saws on my radar right now, the new 562xp and/or a 372xp. I rarely need a larger saw and when I do, the 357xp will handle it. But I've been hangin around here too much. ;)

Never trade a saw that you like, you will surely miss it sooner or later!

Just buy additional ones when you "have to".:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Never trade a saw that you like, you will surely miss it sooner or later!

Just buy additional ones when you "have to".:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

:clap: I agree,

Never trading is really true with guns.:potstir:

a new chainsaw user believes it is some mystical force that can happen at any moment regardless of technique and is totally unpredictable.

That is 120% true.

If you took what the manufacturers say in regard to kickback as gospel nobody would be game to even touch a chainsaw!

Ok, you jokers:). Back to my most recent question.

IF I went with the 261, should I get the powerhead only and steal the 16" Oregon Pro Lite bar and 3/8" Oregon semi-chisel chain from my 260 or just get the 261 with 16" Stihl bar and .325 chain?

I ask as I'm not clear on the advantages and disadvantages of 3/8 vs .325 on a 50cc saw with 16" bar, or more specifically, on the 261.

Ok, you jokers:). Back to my most recent question.

IF I went with the 261, should I get the powerhead only and steal the 16" Oregon Pro Lite bar and 3/8" Oregon semi-chisel chain from my 260 or just get the 261 with 16" Stihl bar and .325 chain?

I ask as I'm not clear on the advantages and disadvantages of 3/8 vs .325 on a 50cc saw with 16" bar, or more specifically, on the 261.
Just stay with a 16" standard .325 set-up, but change the chain to Oregon LP or Stihl RSC if your wood is clean.

Latest posts

Back