What saw is the best? Husky, Stihl, McCulloch, Homelite, Echo, Pioneer, Dolmar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What saw maker is the best

• Stihl

Votes: 176 36.7%
  • Husky

Votes: 192 40.1%
  • McCulloch

Votes: 11 2.3%
  • Homelite

Votes: 8 1.7%
  • Echo

Votes: 32 6.7%
  • Pioneer

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • Dolmar

Votes: 41 8.6%
  • Other

Votes: 14 2.9%

• Total voters
hillwilliam

hillwilliam

ArboristSite Operative
Pioneer P series. They were ahead of their time. As far as I know one of the first to do factory boost/finger ports. Great looking design, well built, easy to work on. If they weren't bought out and ended the company, I'm sure they'd be in the top 3 today.

I also have to vote for the P-series, though I suppose it's partly for sentimental reasons. I think I could work on Pioneers if I was blind. They are all I own now, but I don't need to make a living with them anymore in my advanced years. No shelf queens - all modified runners and have been for many years. That said, if I had used Big Macs instead of Pioneers during the same time in my life, I'd probably love them.

I've owned and used and worked on many different brands over the years. If I had to go back to cutting timber now and buy a saw (ain't gonna), it would be a Husky. Then I'd port it, of course.

bryanr2

bryanr2

Addicted to ArboristSite
Some time has passed. We've all bought some or ran some since- so it's time to revisit this thread.

I am still favoring Husq and Jonsered, but Im no longer turning a blind eye towards Stihl. I started out on AS with a 10mm Stihl 044 and like an idiot traded it off. Took me a long time to find another one from a buyer I trust and Im happy to be back in the 044 club (even if it is a 12mm saw). And I just bought a 261cm last night from a member here. Looking towards a 441cm in the spring and I'll be happy with my Stihl options.

Kfd518

Kfd518

ArboristSite Operative
Stihl for me as try seem to be more forgiving in the environment I first started using them in. All of ours hit it hard right out of the compartment and don't give us any problems. The two huskys we have hesitate to warm up quickly. Two echos tried out as demonstrations and they didn't hold up for us at all. Not much experience with others except Dolmar which I liked but the local dealer 4 miles away has not been as helpful as either of the stihl dealers within 20 miles either direction.

CR888

CR888

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
solo gets my vote..... not many know how long they've been in the game. I'm yet to see ANY stock stihl/husky smoke mi solo 681! My solo 656 spanks my ms261. Pound for pound with all the dollars stihl/husky have for R&D, they should be untouchable.....but they ain't!

SEAM

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Mac 82 cc 10-series saws - just compared one today to a Stihl 038.
82 vs. 62 cc. And the Mac is (or feels) quite a bit lighter and a lot more powerful. Probably would even run circles around the bigger and by far heavier Stihl 050/051.

None of the 20 or so 61, 70 and 82 cc 10-series Macs I own needed a major repair except for one SP80 which ended up as a parts saw. I don't really think there were many brands to match that level of quality then and there are none now.

Ron660

Ron660

Addicted to ArboristSite
I voted Stihl because over the last 20 years talking to loggers they ALL use pro series stihls....mostly 44's. About half of them said they started with Huskies but burn them up. I started with a Stihl 390 and moved up to a 660. My Dad had a Homelite and we never went a winter without firewood. I don't have any experience with a Husky but I'm sure they're excellent saws.

Last edited:
HuskStihl

HuskStihl

Chairin'em for the sound
I want to be a Stihl guy, but Jacob J. Is refusing to sell me his 046 for $400! I think Stihl builds a more solid product, but they cost more, and since I don't really need any big saws, I have purchased used huskies. Now if anybody has a decent 10mm for 500ish.......

Trx250r180

Trx250r180

Saw polisher
I want to be a Stihl guy, but Jacob J. Is refusing to sell me his 046 for $400! I think Stihl builds a more solid product, but they cost more, and since I don't really need any big saws, I have purchased used huskies. Now if anybody has a decent 10mm for 500ish.......

Took ya long enough to figure it out ;)

Latest posts