What saw is the best? Husky, Stihl, McCulloch, Homelite, Echo, Pioneer, Dolmar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What saw maker is the best

• Stihl

Votes: 176 36.7%
  • Husky

Votes: 192 40.1%
  • McCulloch

Votes: 11 2.3%
  • Homelite

Votes: 8 1.7%
  • Echo

Votes: 32 6.7%
  • Pioneer

Votes: 5 1.0%
  • Dolmar

Votes: 41 8.6%
  • Other

Votes: 14 2.9%

• Total voters
I'm afraid you guys are spot on in your assessment. Even the MS261 needs a bunch of work to be a saw that stands out.

When I ported the first 562XP I felt that Husky was gonna kill the competition with their new saws. Now the 550XP is here and I look forward to porting one of those.

Randy, your thread on the 562 put that saw at the very top of my list. Im not crazy abou the look of it- but the performance is undeniable.

West Coast is done eating dinner and begining to vote...

I voted Stihl for my 200T and the 440/460 Hybrid that Mastermind and Snelling must like too. :)

But, I ran all Husky's for a number of years. Have kept a 372, 288xp, and 394.
THE REASON I first went Husqvarna: My father came back from Vietnam/Korea minus his right leg. He was bummed and figured that he could go dirt-biking as a form of excercise & fun. Well - in those days the Husky dirt bikes had the shifter on the left side. This meant he could upshift, etc with his good foot - use his wood leg for the rear brake pedal.
He sent me my first saw in 1999 (372xp) so I could start my business. My (then) boss ran all 044, etc.

-that is mt long story... sorry :)

Well atleast you kept some good saws for backup when the Stihls take a crap.:sword::D

Pioneer P series. They were ahead of their time. As far as I know one of the first to do factory boost/finger ports. Great looking design, well built, easy to work on. If they weren't bought out and ended the company, I'm sure they'd be in the top 3 today.

other

Poulan, cheap for all but the most rare collectable models, reliable, parts all over, easiest so far of any saws I have worked on/owned. (I own poulan/homie/mac/husky/echo). I just don't have any larger ones yet, largest is 245a. (which is really a very nice overall saw, light and powerful)

I like all of them though. I could get by with any brand really.

It ain't the saw, it's the dude with the screwdriver and the files that makes the saw, in the shop or out in the woods.

Poulan, cheap for all but the most rare collectable models, reliable, parts all over, easiest so far of any saws I have worked on/owned. (I own poulan/homie/mac/husky/echo). I just don't have any larger ones yet, largest is 245a. (which is really a very nice overall saw, light and powerful)

I like all of them though. I could get by with any brand really.

It ain't the saw, it's the dude with the screwdriver and the files that makes the saw, in the shop or out in the woods.

If you like your 245a, you will LOVE a 5200!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jonsered,,aint owned nothing but the Johnny-Reds (except for the little Echos I use for brush/limbs)
We have great stealership support,,not that ya' need it when you run the best!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,so my vote goes to "other"???

Stihl is just too slow in bringing new models to market. They most always do so after Husky. This leaves the impression that they just copy Husky, whether true or not. Look how long the 461 has been rumored about, yet nothing on the market. The 661s have been out there for several months as well. I appreciate good testing and bringing a solid machine to market, but they're leaving Husky alone at the front of the pack leading in new technology.

They both copy each other. That laid back cylinder in the 550-562, where have we seen that before? That gizmo to the left of the rear handle on a new Husky seems an awful lot like a Master Control Lever. Side access chain tensioner? I admit Stihl is slow getting the new models out, but the old ones must be selling just fine. Remember, we are a bunch of 1%ers. ;)

Jonsered,,aint owned nothing but the Johnny-Reds (except for the little Echos I use for brush/limbs)
We have great stealership support,,not that ya' need it when you run the best!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,so my vote goes to "other"???

We can roll the Johnsered votes up with the Huskys as step brothers. So that's another vote for Husky!:rock:

If you like your 245a, you will LOVE a 5200!!!!!!!!!!!!

Largest I have in the four number series design is a new to me 4000. Not quite aces running yet but close...

I keep me peepers opened for larger ones, sorta rareish on the ground around here.

Pure luckout on that 245a, sitting in a pawnshop mixed in with the plastic cheapies..

I vote for the one with gas in it and a sharp chain. I can cut a bunch more wood with a sharp mini MAC, than a dull 066 with no gas. Honesty, I pretty much like them all. Even the newer Polans. The only ones I truly do not like are the recent Homelites with the melt-o-matic engine cradles. I think they are 27cc "ranger" or something similar. Just junk. The brake drags, and gets hot melting the cradle more and causing the brake to drag even worse.

It's not really a surprise who's leading in this poll, but some of the other numbers are interesting to me. Ecspecially Echo ahead of Dolmar, Homelite ahead of Mac etc. Some of this comes down to what an individual has been exposed to, the region you live in, and lets face it... an individuals age. Before coming to this site- I saw no value in Mac saws since what I had at my finger tips was the newer plastic saws of the 90s and 2000 forward. In part to my age- 30. Earliest I was exposed to saws was around 14 so that is only 16 years. Then you take another member who was logging with the real Macs back in the 70's like Randy Mac- that saw was his bread and butter, no wonder he would hold it in such high esteem. There is just a whole lot of variables that weigh in here and each variable counts for something. One thing is undeniable here in this group of friends is the comrodery and the common interest- the love of saws. I appreciate each and every one's contributions to the site. If a person can filter thru the bull####, then this is a fantastic place to unwind and hang out.

Last edited:
We can roll the Johnsered votes up with the Huskys as step brothers. So that's another vote for Husky!:rock:

,,,yeah,,,well,,okay,,I guess,,if I have to,,I'll vote for the funny lookin' orange one, now let me go vote before this thunderstorm blows up my computer,,MAN!! it's really coming down here,,lightning is every where ,,see ya'!!

,,,yeah,,,well,,okay,,I guess,,if I have to,,I'll vote for the funny lookin' orange one, now let me go vote before this thunderstorm blows up my computer,,MAN!! it's really coming down here,,lightning is every where ,,see ya'!!

really interesting weather here today as well. Real good storm came thru this afternoon, rain pouring and the wind a blowing. I had a fire going outside burning some brush and the fire survived the rain bc of how intensely the wind was keeping the blaze fed. Storms gone- and the fires still going.:rock:

Husqvarna, simply for the bang/buck ratio. Their recent saws I've used simply start, run, and cut like hale. Of course, you have to keep it razor-sharp, like with any saw. Bought as factory refurbs, greater buys yet.

Same thing to me, with a 35 cc "Mac" (Jenn Feng). Large bang/buck ratio. Much more than expected. Good manners.

Well atleast you kept some good saws for backup when the Stihls take a crap.:sword::D

With Stihls as his daily use saws. No need for Husky backup saws. Unless of course the truck that holds all the saws gets broke into. Then them huskys will be still be there when the Stihls are long gone!!!:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Last edited:
Back