What saw to buy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have had my stihl 026 for a while love the thing runnig a 18 inch bar and yellow chain. My question is if i wanted another saw maybe a fixer up to run about a 18 -20 inch bar just to have a spare around what should i look at? should i go for the 361 or 440 460? The 660 with the 20 would get heavy fast right? For the work i do the 20 inch bar is enough for the wood. I dont want to leave the stihl pros because they are so easy to work on.

Sorry i forgot about what ever it takes
i f i cant find used at a good price then it new off the shelf atlest it will have a warrenty.

Not like my when she was new she was good on plow now her vocie is deep Borat borat and hair on her chest hahahhah

Wood size is 15 inch generaly the biggest i get. i basicly do like lot clean ups some thimes or storm clean ups my main job is lawn care but i get calls for medium size trees and dead trees. I like having some thing for flush cutting stumps and big blown down tree

Opinions are like, well you know. If you didn't have an 026, I would say MS361 given the fact that it rocks and the medicinal benefits and all, BUT, you have an 026 so go bigger. If your shoes were on my feet, or how ever that goes, I'd say clean used 044/440, new 441, or new 460. Some will say the 441 Sachs, but that's a whole nother chainsaw company.

Wood size is 15 inch generaly the biggest i get. i basicly do like lot clean ups some thimes or storm clean ups my main job is lawn care but i get calls for medium size trees and dead trees. I like having some thing for flush cutting stumps and big blown down tree

I think you should shoot for a 440/441 minimum if you plan to "flush cutting stumps and big blown down trees"

imo 361 too close to 026. i'd go with 441 or 460. either of those you could toss a 20" bar on and use on smaller stuff, but you could also put a 32" on and do your stumps.

I don't think there is enough weight difference between a 361 and 044/440 to NOT get the 044/440. The 046/460 is another # and the 066/660 a couple # more.

I worked with a guy to day who had a 066 after today i am saving up for one. What version to get the 0666 Ms 660 or consider the 064 or 650?
I know the last two are a bit smaller

I worked with a guy to day who had a 066 after today i am saving up for one. What version to get the 0666 Ms 660 or consider the 064 or 650?
I know the last two are a bit smaller

i agree they are evil once you get one you want another

In honor of our 118th "What saw to buy" thread I proudly recommend:

Stihl090g_lk.jpg

I agree that the 361 is too close to the 260 if you are going to have only two saws.

Look at the 440 and 460, or the Husky 372xp if you don't love vibes and atr filter cleaning.....:)

In honor of our 118th "What saw to buy" thread I proudly recommend:

Stihl090g_lk.jpg

jacob,
that saw won't cut :censored:! no chain!

o/p. they are sorta close but, there is more 'seperation' in the 026 and the 361 then some folks are letting on. i would go a little bigger than a 361 if you can swing the dough but if you do settle for the 361 you will be able to cut all the 15 inch wood you want!:chainsaw:
:cheers:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back