What's the best BS sales pitch you ever got from a dealer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a sales pitch, but the first time I knew my (now ex) dealer was not as qualified as their literature made out. My saw had been in their shop for almost 2 weeks at this point. Was completely DOA but under warranty, so I didnt even look at her for 2 seconds myself.

Me: "So, any luck with my saw?"
Tech: "No, not yet. Cant get it to start at all"
Me: "Ah. Any idea when you will get closer?"
Tech: "No. I mean Ive tried everythign. Im getting really pissed off at that saw. I replaced the spark plug, put in new gas mix"
Me: "Thats all you've done in 2 weeks??"
Tech: "Well I looked in the air filter too."
Me: "Did you check compression?"
Tech: "Huh?"
:cry::cry::cry::cry:

Not a sales pitch, but the first time I knew my (now ex) dealer was not as qualified as their literature made out. My saw had been in their shop for almost 2 weeks at this point. Was completely DOA but under warranty, so I didnt even look at her for 2 seconds myself.

Me: "So, any luck with my saw?"
Tech: "No, not yet. Cant get it to start at all"
Me: "Ah. Any idea when you will get closer?"
Tech: "No. I mean Ive tried everythign. Im getting really pissed off at that saw. I replaced the spark plug, put in new gas mix"
Me: "Thats all you've done in 2 weeks??"
Tech: "Well I looked in the air filter too."
Me: "Did you check compression?"
Tech: "Huh?"
:cry::cry::cry::cry:

LOL,Your sure you did'nt take it to MacDonald's sounds like the workers they have running the drive thru windows.:dizzy:

Wish I could afford to be a dealer.....people need more good ones

maybe dolmar.....

Best BS Pitch from Saw Dealer

Saw guy actually had the nerve to try and sell me some saw called a Husqvarna telling me it was a great saw and some pro somewhere uses one.

Some guys have no shame.

Took in my 066 to the local dealer. 2 1/2 weeks later he called, "It is going to cost about $800 to get your saw fixed, you might as well just buy a new saw for that price." ........
I bought the parts for about $40, tempted to take it back in and start it for him, then tell him what I paid.

Now I get everything on-line from a very co-operative dealer elsewhere....

Want to share who your "very co-operative dealer" is for others? Some of us just don't care for the local ones.

Does your gut rub on the steering wheel, or do you look like the guy in your avatar? If so then I can maybe see worn out seat cushions. If not then your truck dealer is FOS. LOL:)

6' tall 200 pounds. About average I guess.

I feel sorry for some individuals, who automatically think the shop they are dealing with has it covered as far as knowledge of the products they are selling and or servicing.
that's the problem these days, no knowledge of the product, just salesmen...

"Skip" chain was "Rip" chain
"Nobody" owns a 3120, you must have a 136.
We only carry safety chain, the other chain is too dangerous.
660s are for "professionals" only (I told him, "today, I'm a professional")
I can't sell you a 660. (same guy, told him I already had one and didn't need another)
You want 136 links of WHAT!!!
What's square ground chain? (Big Stihl dealer)

I'm sure I can come up with more, but I'll let it rest here.

So the Terd monger walks over to a 4dr, short box, leather interior, two tone, rolling collection of electronics and prom dress fabrics, and says....
"Here's your truck!"

I had the opposite happen to me about 15 years ago. Looking at a $12,000 mini van. Whip out my tape measure to see if it could carry the occasional piece of plywood. Salesman takes me out back, has just the right vehicle for me. Shows me a work truck with more rust than paint. I just went back to my car and drove away. I thought about offering him $50 for the truck, but didn't want to get stuck if he accepted.

Stihl dealer on phone: we only stock one kind of chain.
Me: is it chisel or semi chisel
dealer: semi chisel
Me: what model?
dealer: RSC. We have the green and yellow.

I was in a pinch and they were the closest around.
Me: Can I have a 84 link loop of the yellow
dealer: are you sure you don't want the green? It lasts longer.
Me: yeah, im sure.

took in my 066 to the local dealer. 2 1/2 weeks later he called, "it is going to cost about $800 to get your saw fixed, you might as well just buy a new saw for that price." ........
I bought the parts for about $40, tempted to take it back in and start it for him, then tell him what i paid.

Want to share who your "very co-operative dealer" is for others? Some of us just don't care for the local ones.

that dealer needs to be neg reped at the bbb

more bs

Actually had a customer tell me this. They were shopping for furniture. The place they were at had extremely high prices. When asked why their prices were so high, salesman replied that we were in the middle of a drought and the timber was stunted from the dry weather!

What's the best BS sales pitch you ever got from a dealer?

Echos are good saws.

Also:

"this 25" bar will work well on your 50cc saw"

"skip tooth chain cuts well"

"this safety chain is no slower than normal chain"

"dolmars are reliable"

"16" bars are fine on top handle saws"

"modern stihls haven't dropped on quality"

One of the gazillions of local Stihl dealers here used to be my chain sharpening guy, did good work, never burnt the chains, but didn't touch the rakers at all. Finally, I asked him to do the rakers as well. He told me that "The rakers are made of soft steel, they automatically wear down, no need to lower them."

It was then, even though at the time I was sure no sharpening expert, that I had an expert opinion for him. I casually mentioned that I've been in the metal fabrication business for over 10 years, and that other than the chrome on the tooth, it's the same steel, and hardened the same, and would you please hand me back my chains so I can take them to someone who knows what they're talking about.

Like Dinger, I've had a JD salesman convince me that a 40HP yuppie tractor would do everything my 70HP 10,000lb tractor does. I invited him out for a demo on the 4 bottom plow I was pulling at the time, for some reason he never made it out with it...

Back