Whats the best deal on a saw you've ever got?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys are all thinking in terms of peanuts...

The best deal on a saw I've had is an 046 I built myself for around $350, and then ran for 2,000+ hours as a log cutting contractor.

That saw made me $300+ a day for two years. Try getting that kind of money with a saw purchase.

I bought a running 264 Olympyk on Ebay once for $1.99 plus shipping once. I found a running Echo CS300 in the garbage once. It needed a clutch cover. Got a few nice saws at the scrap yard for $.05 per pound.

Got a Poulan 'Whatzit' for 40 USD.

Later identified as a PP 655.

But, it had issues....................................................................................................................................:msp_unsure:

Poulan A 700 Chainsaw | eBay[/url] Igpoe reminded me of this one that I got "dirt" cheap.. It brought over 1800.00:greenchainsaw:

Last edited by a moderator:
I had an old 066 flat top given to me that had a new cylinder.But it had bad main bearings. Then I got a 064 for 50 dollars. But it had a scored top end. The muffler was drilled and the carb was never reset. Well the 066 became a donor of a top end for the 064.

New Dolmar 9010 for around $200. I don't recall the exact amount but it was in that range. It didn't have a bar though:(

Ohh and then I could bring up the 3100G that I got a guy to throw in on a deal I made:D

Hello, it's been a few years since I was really active on AS. I guess I've been busy with life, but I've stayed true to the saws! My best purchase was a Homelite 750 for $100.00. I've gotten several free saws, but the one that takes the cake is a Homelite 9-26 Gear Drive. All there except for the muffler cover and has a bow bar. It sat in a barn in NC for decades, and a client brought it to a meeting and gave it to me. It's a project, but a rare saw from what I've read with 100+ cc's. Max.

I bought a 2007 Stihl 200T for $25. It was on craigslist and was sold from a storage place. Bought a new B&C and sent it to Mastermind for a once over and porting. Got it back last week and it's fantastic. Best deal I ever got for sure!!

Until I read this thread I thought I had gotten a pretty good deal on a Stihl 084 with a couple bars and chains for $600. Oh well, it has served me well cutting some big cottonwood and pine.:rock:

It is kinda old -- and has some piston scoring (found this out after a tune up, plus I posted some pics here).

Any guesses on cost of a top end job and maybe a porting job you sawheads are always talking about? Or is this saw a boat anchor when it gets bad. Seems OK now, but I have never run a new one this size.

Oh man, do it! Do it! I ran my friend Josh 084 saw that mastermind went through top to bottom and ported, shazzam! Dang freight train! You would be hard pressed to ever need any more saw than that. Don't put any more miles on it, maybe your p/c is salvageable.

Best deal I ever got was because of this site and me posting. Oregon contacted me and had me run their battery saw before it hit the market. Just wring it out, cut all I wanted to cut all day long, torture test like. Afterwards, they gave me the saw, plus extra batteries and chains! Thanks Oregon! Its slick, works great, I like electric things..big fan of anything that runs from lithium ion batteries.

Best I have bought, best quality and most cut for the buck, hands down, poulan s25cva, pulled from a scrap heap, paid I think ten bucks for it, new line and filter, off to the races. One of the best small saws ever made I bet. 38 CCs that thinks it is a 50.

I won a Stihl ms180 a few years ago at a fireman's banquet. An arms stretch worth of tickets for $20. The dealer that supplied the raffle let me pay up for an ms250. Less than $100 for a brand new saw. I use it quite a bit, but I recently found a Jonsered 2152 at a pawn shop for $110. It needed a little work, but its kinda taking the place of the Stihl.

Latest posts

Back