Whats with the LINKBUCKS crap!!!! rediculous, great way to end the site!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a certain minimum amount that a person needs to learn about these issues, IMO, and they need to make at least a teeny tiny effort on their own.

And I will have to add, while sober.....

Drats. I read with interest until I got to the sober part...

I am on my smart phone.

I just went into options, turned off javascript, and everything but likes works.
Good enough for me.

I'll try!!! like I said I am not computer savy!! I now get hit twice everytime I click on anything. Zogger, some of us have been trying. Even going as far as different antivirious and changing as much as we can but hoping not to screw anything up. It took me the better part of 10min to get here to do this. There are people who are excellent at everything and have the time to teach themselfs this stuff, I am not one of them I guess. I should not have to be a computer wiz to acess a site. Nmurph, when I get a chance I will try Chrome. CJ

On edit, I loaded noscript. Does not seem to help in my case. It worked 1 time now I am back to redirect land. Heck I can't even acess to see who beat up my rep!!

What are your noscript settings? You should disallow linkbucks and today ultrafiles.net. Heck, don't allow a thing. make sure on the noscript NOTHING is allowed.

If that doesn't work, and I was worried about this originally, the original hack code, people who got redirected and maybe clicked on stuff..well..chances are high your own machine is hosed, it isn't just the site.

I CAN'T PROVE THIS. IT HAS HAPPENED IN A SIMILAR FASHION TO A LOT OF PEOPLE IN THE PAST THOUGH.

I have been suspicious though....because people have been saying what you are saying.....

Even with antivirus, etc on your own machine it might not be enough. There are some strong exploits out there that can beat antivirus etc. heck, I checked this site last night, it checked "clean" by a lot of online security places, but we all know it isn't.

Like I have said before, sometimes it is better to wipe the disk and reinstall with a known good operating system image.

I do not use windows myself, I know it costs money, I know the computer fixit shops cost money, etc..this is why I stopped using windows way way way back, didn't like it, didn't like how security and usability was job 897 at microsoft for decades.

I used to help folks with windows...hated it. I personally think windows makes earthquakes look like a custom built pro saw.

I know it is possible to have a decent windows machine, I have done it, it is 50 times harder than it needs to be..this is why microsoft and the associated industries around it are so rich. they make serious folding money on that.

There, I ranted a little. Just in general, not directed at any single person, just commenting in general terms. I wanted to avoid it, but..dang hard when you have seen this thousands of times over and over with folks have bad experiences..I know what the real culprit is...a very large computer software company that has tons of billionaires...and it starts there and flows downstream and has allowed generations now of users to have so much fun with net security....

I can't help people with that system other than say you need to do a lot of research, and start with a known clean installation of something. I will also say this, brand new computers from the store ship with tons of crap installed on them that isn't needed and is in my opinion, malware. They make money on that stuff. Billions are made yearly off of windows problems, there is no huge effort to actually make it better out of the box as per security, just reluctant and years later after the fact some half way measures.

That's it, I am done with this whole issue here. I am not a computer expert, just a user nerd not not a professional nerd or dev, but I learned from my mistakes years ago, and the first mistake was getting involved with microsoft products, that was 1984 actually, and as soon as I found alternatives I jumped ship. I just ain't driving that dang crappy yugo. I check it out periodically, its still a yugo, now with more bling.

They make billions from it, they like it screwed up like that, sell the bling, profit from the crap. Laughing all the way to the bank. Got millions of people faked out that's all there is. Got millions of people faked out its too hard..why yes yes it is, it is designed that way to an extent. They should have been broken up over RICO and other corruption charges a long time ago, and been forced to actually have usability warranties like other products. In my opinion of course.

Didja ever notice they can get patents and copyrights, but they have no warranty? Ain't that just peculiar, wonder how that happened? Name any other major product that can be sold with no warranty....

Anyway, I never saw a linkbucks, all I run is firefox and noscript, but it isn't on windows, I am running a plain vanilla linux install. I used to run various more complex distributions, with command line action, but no need anymore, ubuntu or linux mint or any of the other more popular ones work just fine, and the automatic updates, etc are just spiffy. I ran apple gear and software for some years, but it got too expensive for me, so now just generic used hardware (I even dumpster dive for gear and make it work) and I jump around with various linux operating systems. And I keep some "live" systems on CD handy just in case.

All the various linux forums have walkthroughs on how to get, install and run something other than windows, it's out there.

I went to Linux about 7 years ago and never looked back. No more re-installing Windows after a virus corruption

They got rid of linkbucks in the Javascript window but ultrafiles is still there and it is just an alias of linkbucks.

Noscript is blocking everything, I haven't already allowed, automatically. The other links are never allowed until I say allowed. A little bit of a pain needing to allow functions on every site - but better than the alternative.

What are your noscript settings? You should disallow linkbucks and today ultrafiles.net. Heck, don't allow a thing. make sure on the noscript NOTHING is allowed.

If that doesn't work, and I was worried about this originally, the original hack code, people who got redirected and maybe clicked on stuff..well..chances are high your own machine is hosed, it isn't just the site.

I CAN'T PROVE THIS. IT HAS HAPPENED IN A SIMILAR FASHION TO A LOT OF PEOPLE IN THE PAST THOUGH.

I have been suspicious though....because people have been saying what you are saying.....

Even with antivirus, etc on your own machine it might not be enough. There are some strong exploits out there that can beat antivirus etc. heck, I checked this site last night, it checked "clean" by a lot of online security places, but we all know it isn't.

Like I have said before, sometimes it is better to wipe the disk and reinstall with a known good operating system image.

I do not use windows myself, I know it costs money, I know the computer fixit shops cost money, etc..this is why I stopped using windows way way way back, didn't like it, didn't like how security and usability was job 897 at microsoft for decades.

I used to help folks with windows...hated it. I personally think windows makes earthquakes look like a custom built pro saw.

I know it is possible to have a decent windows machine, I have done it, it is 50 times harder than it needs to be..this is why microsoft and the associated industries around it are so rich. they make serious folding money on that.

There, I ranted a little. Just in general, not directed at any single person, just commenting in general terms. I wanted to avoid it, but..dang hard when you have seen this thousands of times over and over with folks have bad experiences..I know what the real culprit is...a very large computer software company that has tons of billionaires...and it starts there and flows downstream and has allowed generations now of users to have so much fun with net security....

I can't help people with that system other than say you need to do a lot of research, and start with a known clean installation of something. I will also say this, brand new computers from the store ship with tons of crap installed on them that isn't needed and is in my opinion, malware. They make money on that stuff. Billions are made yearly off of windows problems, there is no huge effort to actually make it better out of the box as per security, just reluctant and years later after the fact some half way measures.

That's it, I am done with this whole issue here. I am not a computer expert, just a user nerd not not a professional nerd or dev, but I learned from my mistakes years ago, and the first mistake was getting involved with microsoft products, that was 1984 actually, and as soon as I found alternatives I jumped ship. I just ain't driving that dang crappy yugo. I check it out periodically, its still a yugo, now with more bling.

They make billions from it, they like it screwed up like that, sell the bling, profit from the crap. Laughing all the way to the bank. Got millions of people faked out that's all there is. Got millions of people faked out its too hard..why yes yes it is, it is designed that way to an extent. They should have been broken up over RICO and other corruption charges a long time ago, and been forced to actually have usability warranties like other products. In my opinion of course.

Didja ever notice they can get patents and copyrights, but they have no warranty? Ain't that just peculiar, wonder how that happened? Name any other major product that can be sold with no warranty....

Anyway, I never saw a linkbucks, all I run is firefox and noscript, but it isn't on windows, I am running a plain vanilla linux install. I used to run various more complex distributions, with command line action, but no need anymore, ubuntu or linux mint or any of the other more popular ones work just fine, and the automatic updates, etc are just spiffy. I ran apple gear and software for some years, but it got too expensive for me, so now just generic used hardware (I even dumpster dive for gear and make it work) and I jump around with various linux operating systems. And I keep some "live" systems on CD handy just in case.

All the various linux forums have walkthroughs on how to get, install and run something other than windows, it's out there.

I am learning and trying different things. Maybe I'll trip over something I hope. CJ

Still only able to login as "reply with quote"

See that the botware(?) or whatever is still hammering away
at reinsertion.
I have to wonder how many user boxes are now zombied
for the task too.

I never advocated these addons before
because of disrupting the legitimize revenue stream
for this site.

if you guys go to Firefox, you need to look into these
addons and others..
but like's been said above, learn the settings !!
Then decide *when* and by whom,
to allow things to be done
on YOUR computer.

I consider these to be pretty much essential add-ons
to *my* usage of Firefox.
(I use different versions of firefox with different settings for different things )

Some may be dated or only available for certain versions
of Firefox
So do a bit of reading in the comments section of the download site of Mozilla & Firefox.
It will make it easier to understand what they do and why.

plus a bit more safety and less hassle then while using your box to crawl the web!

+ +
my little list of handy add-ons.
In Some cases, the names will pretty much tell you what they are for.
I personaly think the first four are a good starting point to check into.

NoScript

Block site

Adblock plus

Ghostery

DoNotTrackMe

BetterPrivacy

Facebook Disconnect

Twitter Disconnect

Google Disconnect

--
..and these are just handy to have.

" DownloadHelper "

" Search Image Everywhere "

==========
With that said,
surf safe guys !!

I'm just staying in "lurking mode/ all scripts blocked" most of the time
and looking at page source occasionally
while the script wars run.

++
p.s.
any of you sharper, experienced, guys want to get them awakened to those
Flash cookies/DOM/super cookies
stuff?

...or get them going on demanding restore/reinstal discs
with there machines And not relying on that really bad idea of counting on a
( also very infectable)
restore partition?

some of it all still give me a headache.

This is all interesting stuff, but what is the prognosis for actually fixing the site?

Can the tumor be removed, or is it inoperable?

first time I been able to get on here in days. any know if the crap is over, or is this just intermission.

I'm reminded of the line from the end of Aliens. The only way to be sure is to nuke it from space.

I'm thinking the only way to truly clean AS is to wipe the servers and start from scratch, but we'd loose all the old posts.

I'd be very suprised if I wasn't greated by linkbucks again in the next 24 hours.

Started as a Beta tester for FireFox before it was ever released to the general public. They did it right and I never use E on this windows system. I hate E-splores big brother ways. I don't have many add-ons and don't really need them. The browser will ask me if something needs to be turned on. Virus software is a joke so,use your best spyware/malware finder and good luck.

It's more fun at the neighbors anyway :potstir:

don't you wish you could push that certain button? lol

Right this moment the site is clean of the linkbucks mess

Back