What's your best ever "steal of a deal"?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steal of a deal

Two stand out.First was a 55 gallon drum of parts saws at $25 x15 saws,at the bottom was a Husky 394xp,started up on the third pull.Clutch,sprocket and side cover shredded.That saw covered the whole deal when I sold it on Ebay.Second came a couple of weeks ago,bought 5 saws from a local tree surgeon, who I gave a card to a year ago.Nothing special about 4 of them,the fifth was a Dolmar 7300,I did not realize how big it was because their was no bar and chain.I was told it would run until it got hot,die and restart when it cooled off.Been using it 2 weeks now with a 28 inch bar,all I did to it, was clean everything,new plug,fresh mix and adjust carb,hasn't died yet!Price was way south of $100!

stihl 020t

Just picked up a blown up (what i was told) 020t, got there the pull starter was froze and gave the guy $35 bucks. Got home and tore it appart and one of the bottom muffler bolts had backed out and got stuck in the flywheel. Twenty minutes latter, i was cutting wood with it.:)

Pics coming

346xp oe 372xp

I guess by my signature you can tell I am a Stihl guy. Well in the past month i spun the bearings in my MS390 so I went looking at local pawnshops in the upstate South Carolina where I live. I came across a 346xp husky that the Pawn shop couldn't get to run. with some help from guys here reset the ignition and adjust the carb now it runs great for 50 bucks. Also found an 04 model 372xp that runs perfect with a 20 in b&c for 200 bucks. I am happy and very respectful of huskys now.:hmm3grin2orange::cheers: oh I forgot a Mac 10-10 automatic that runs perfect from the original owner for free

Last edited:
Homelite 750 for $50.00!

Went to pick up a C7, C9 and XL12 for $100. I was told there was another old Homelite but he wanted $50 for it. It turned out to be a 750, so of course the answer was obvious. Got it home, checked it out and she fired up nicely. Runs really good. Now I'm more than likely going to restore it. I've already got a NOS handle cover, starter screen, muffler cap, transformer mount and carb boot.

MP5N

My best so far is my Stihl 026. Free out of the recycle dumpster at the transfer station. was missing the clutch side cover and the clutch was Gone. (oil pump was damaged too)
engine ran fine. Got the parts on ebay for under 50.00 put a new bar and chain and used it for the last 3 years.

It is next on my list for a full rebuild. (to freshen up)

My best is a 455 Rancher. It had a blown p/c. It came with a case, b/c oil, 2stroke oil, scrench, file, file guide, scabbard, spare chain.

Due to a computer error, a misplaced decimal point, I got a p/c, oem, for $16. (I ordered 2 more and would like to attempt some port work someday)

Went to pick up a C7, C9 and XL12 for $100. I was told there was another old Homelite but he wanted $50 for it. It turned out to be a 750, so of course the answer was obvious. Got it home, checked it out and she fired up nicely. Runs really good. Now I'm more than likely going to restore it. I've already got a NOS handle cover, starter screen, muffler cap, transformer mount and carb boot.

MP5N

You got a C7, a C9, and XL12, and an XL750 for $150???? You suck!!!:D

MP5N

Good Score. Where did you get the starter screen from??? I need one for my 650.

From my perspective, all of my saw purchases have been good deals, it just is that some of them are better deals than others. For the most part I do not brag about how little I may have paid, I think it leads to bad karma (and could jeopardize me getting full price if I ever need to sell).

Many of my best deals have been bulk purchases where I got a bunch of saws in one shot. I have been able to cull out and sell the ones I did not want resulting in the keepers costing me little or nothing.

You have to be diligent and be prepared to walk away from deals that do not make financial sense. I am working on one now, but expect that I might need to find a partner to go in on it with me in order to be able to swing the deal.

All my saw came to me as non-running "junkers".

Had a fellow drop off four saws a few days back, said they were just in the way. After carb kits and fuel lines I ended up with two good runners and two parts saw for free..........again!!!!

Most of my saws have either come to me either as free-to-very cheap non-running project saws (many from guys here...........thanks again to you fellows, you know who you are!), or in large groups as Gary mentioned. I periodicaly run an old saw want-ad on CL. I've landed a few cheap and free bunches of saws. Had to pay a bit for the XP1020 that came from CL. Many other folks that have answered my ad have either been scammers, or people that think their Homelite 150, 360, or McCulloch 610 or mini-mac are worth huge money because they're 'vintage'.

There's an AS member here who answered my ad (didn't know who had posted the ad). Something may yet come of that deal. I also have a few potentialy large/valuable 'group buy' saw/parts leads that came to me from my CL ad recently on hold, simply because I need to have a sufficient roll of green with me before I commit to go to check 'em out. I've also passed on a few deals that came during lean $$$ times. It always seems to be a CAD 'feast' when there's no available cashola, and CAD 'famine' when there's money in the pocket. Can't afford to be a 'tire kicker' in this game...:D

Last edited:
:rock:got my 066MAG ,needed a BBkit, 28" bar, and my running 394XP 30" bar(craigslist find) for $300 got about $450 in both running great saws wish I could find those deals everyday:hmm3grin2orange:

I bought this 1911 for $150 and sold it on GunStroker for $2,250. I never seem to get a deal on a saw though.

Wosley2.jpg

Last edited:
I bought this 1911 for $150 and sold it on GunStroker for $2,250. I never seem to get a deal on a saw though.

Wosley2.jpg

Sweet. I have a piece of American Art Pottery I bought for $45.00, could sell it for $700.00+, just can't bring myself to let it go.

Edit--I forgot the wife factor, lol.

No real "steal of a deal" but I did get an open box Makita 6401 w/ a 20 inch B+C for $289. That saw has made firewood that quickly negated the original cost.....so take that wifey! :msp_tongue:

Sweet. I have a piece of American Art Pottery I bought for $45.00, could sell it for $700.00+, just can't bring myself to let it go.

Edit--I forgot the wife factor, lol.

I didn't get a handgun but one of my clients owns a LARGE electrical company and he sold me a 2002 GMC buccket truck. Everything works and is in like new condition. 1500 hours on the hydraulic pump and 2000 hours on the engine 37,000 Km. I paid 2000 Canadian dollars for it. A tire is worth $700 +/- so I figure it must be a good deal. It is a material handling unit with a crane attached with a 1500 lb. lift load. His fleet manager filled the tank with fuel, had the inspections done and put a hat on the seat! How nice is that?

Last year I bought myself a leftover Stihl 361 for $550 from the local dealer. I thought it was a fair price. My dad really liked the saw so I decided to get him one for christmas. No 361s left, only 362s. I got quoted a price of $600. Okay I told the dealer. I went to pick it up and he had the paperwork ready for me. List price on invoice of $619, my price $329. No I am not making this up either. We do a good bit of business through this dealer for my work as well. I bought a case with the 362 at full price, just because I felt guilty about what he charged me. The last thing I got was my ht-131 pole saw from them. $650 list I got it for $550. I guess it pays to be loyal to a good dealer.

Got both of my husky 372xp's for $100...this guy thaught they where both blown up...turns out one just had a broken recoil...and the piston and cylinder was immaculate....and the other one was scored.....but for $100 for TWO!...i am not complaining even if both where blown up.:msp_thumbup:

I had a friend give me a husky 55 that had a scored piston.cleaned up the top end ,a new ring runs great. price 0.

Back