when does Axe Men air

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But, can you get Schmidtties (animal beer) in Oregon? I'm afraid it has been replaced by Busch Light as the can most often seen in the ditch. :(

Down here Natural Ice is the cheap stuff and the #1 side-o-the-road can. That stuff causes more trouble than meth. Some of the cheap liquor stores have their own brand of vodka that sells for a few bucks. When I was in the FD I had the pleasure of knowing many of the drunks on a first name basis since I saw them so often. It was sad to see what unrestrained alcohol use did to men and women. They also really stunk!

I'm home for day 3 of massive mucous loss. Just opened up box number 3 of Puffs. So, since I am stuck here, I was able to watch the Live show a short time ago, obviously not live. Had to suffer through a million commercials and a long interview with (is this not ironic?) Woody Harrelson who I can't stand.
The loggers got about 5 minutes. Jay Browning ( I think) told how he lost part of his hand and I about lost my lunch. He tripped near a moving block and got his hand sucked through. Ick. Then they did a cute skit with some guy named Guillermo, showing clips from the show interspersed with Guillermo eating pancakes and getting a splinter in his hand. It ended with Guillermo in a backyard supposedly dumping a bush in a swimming pool and then they all got chased out by the homeowner. That was it. Now I'm going to dose myself with Benadryl. Good Night.:dizzy:

Great! You gave me what ever you had. Thanks a bunch. Aaa-a-chew!

Great! You gave me what ever you had. Thanks a bunch. Aaa-a-chew!

If it makes you feel better, I am working with half a lung. Or so it feels like. Ran Twinkle just a little today. Always good to run equipment while using over the counter drugs. Seems to be an epidemic of this lung crud around here.

So, I'm afraid my mom will see this show and figure that since I go down there it is too dangerous and she'll restart pestering me about how I should get a nice job in the office. She finally quit doing that about 15 years ago. :)

If it makes you feel better, I am working with half a lung. Or so it feels like. Ran Twinkle just a little today. Always good to run equipment while using over the counter drugs. Seems to be an epidemic of this lung crud around here.

So, I'm afraid my mom will see this show and figure that since I go down there it is too dangerous and she'll restart pestering me about how I should get a nice job in the office. She finally quit doing that about 15 years ago. :)

When my daughter watched the show last week she asked me to quit logging. I told her we work smaller trees but she has seen all my pics so now I needed to come up with a new lie. Then I said most of the trees I fall are dead. "Oh you mean snags, that is even worse. You told me that". Well at least I don't swear. Much. (Dirty look). I never should have told her about getting hit and having to be hauled to the hospital back in '82. My wife just told me to make sure my life insurance policy is easy to get to.

the people who made the axemen called me and we talked for over an hour about logging and what i thaught they should make thier show about. they were going to film mechanical sides and skidder logging. I told them ground logging was so simple and easy my wife and daughter can do it. And they can! they both run my fmc and set thier own chokers if they have to. So i told them to go north and fing a good yarder side. The only problem is they never listened to me because i told them to bypass oregon. I specificly told them anywhere north of oregon. So what we get is loggers whining about the weather, using rope for haywire, bouncing thier carriage off the logs in the chute, cutters making 3 ft high stumps,goofy choker setters hanging on the riggin trying to bust thier ass. nothing i saw was anything like a good old school logging side should look like. I like the looks of the ty 90 side until i saw the helicopter layout fiasco. Why pay good money to the helicopter when you can put it in the crews pockets. A good hooktender would have spent all saturday for free laying ribbons for the layout before he would let a high priced chopper do his work for him. lol hope nobody gets offended but thats the way i see it so far . maybe things will get better next week.I know its hard to get good experienced help in the riggin.

AZLogger, excuse the dumb question, but is a shovel an excavator-type piece of equipment or like a catepillar dozer or what?

What's the role of the shovel operator at a logging site?
Sorry folks I had to take care of business this afternoon. As an answer to your question it is a highly modified excavator, modified to lift, instead of digging. Take a look at the boom it is straight instead of curved, also the hydraulic cylinders are relocated for lifting, instead of normal positions for excavating. The (car body) as we refer to it is modified for clearance and width, you will see this when looking for shovel logging machines as high and wide.

Gologit said:
Looks like AZLogger is off-line so I'll try to help. It's that old Left Coast terminology again...a shovel is basically an excavator type of machine with grapples attached to load logs. There's usually a serrated butt plate on the boom for one end of the log to lever against while the other end of the log is held in the grapples. The term shovel is a real antique...left over from the old steam-shovel days in the woods.

The shovel operator is responsible for sorting and decking the logs as they come on the landing.

He also loads the trucks....sometimes thirty loads a day. This might account for his sour disposition at times.

He's usually the first one to work in the morning...way before daylight so he can get the first round of trucks out before skidding and yarding start. He's also usually the last one to go home at night...gotta get those last trucks loaded.

A good shovel operator is worth his weight in gold. The smarter truck drivers bring them donuts and otherwise don't bug them.
Very true gologit, I have had truck drivers bring me nice warm steak dinners and some of the best home-cooked meals you could ever imagine, just for staying a little later or being easy on their rigs while loading them. They just appreciate a good gentle operator. I have put in some hellacious hours in a machine before, basically living out of the cab of a pickup for days, when the trucks have to haul out on the freeze, then you have to be there to sort species and clear the shute and also load trucks. Try working 16 to 22 hours a day for a week and see how cranky you can get, (no one wants to even be around you).
Sorry for the ranting and raving, but sometimes thats the way it was!:buttkick:

Very true gologit, I have had truck drivers bring me nice warm steak dinners and some of the best home-cooked meals you could ever imagine, just for staying a little later or being easy on their rigs while loading them. They just appreciate a good gentle operator. I have put in some hellacious hours in a machine before, basically living out of the cab of a pickup for days, when the trucks have to haul out on the freeze, then you have to be there to sort species and clear the shute and also load trucks. Try working 16 to 22 hours a day for a week and see how cranky you can get, (no one wants to even be around you).
Sorry for the ranting and raving, but sometimes thats the way it was!:buttkick:

Still the way it is for some operators. I found one guy, the owner of the outfit, napping in his cab while the yarder was going full bore next to him. He'd get up at 2AM to load trucks. One of the truckers is his dad, who is a real go getter. The trucks might make 2 trips a day. But he has to stay and keep the chute clear, and then be there when his dad returns because his dad wants to be loaded that night so he can take off first in the morning. This guy frequently offers the job to me, or the yarder engineer job, but I decline. The decor in the yarder is just...well...too manly. Up until now, (when there is now no work around here)he couldn't find a shovel operator, his hooktender would fill in sometimes but also tended to break things, so the guy was stuck putting in long hours. He's had the same trouble finding crew.
A few days I'd go up and he'd be short handed. Half his crew would not show and he'd be sharing jobs with his hooktender and chaser. The three of them would be yarding. Rough time though.

I can see how the new home construction crash has hurt the logging industry. Does lumber come into USA from overseas and if so thats got to hurt ?

Oh yah, and it hurts. The logs roll in from Canada here. Weyehauser has a big yard near here (used to be Willamette) and they get logs form Canada on the rail lines which run right into their mill, and saw them up into dimentional lumber, and off they go to Home Depot and Lowes.

Been a long war over improting logs from Canada under NAFTA, and they finally agreed on a deal to import them into the US. It floods an already dead log market. Now there is also a lot of blow-down along the OR/WA/BC coast from the hurricane late last year that will have to be salvage logged, adding more downward pressure on the log prices.

A lot of timber is also exported from around here. We live near Highway 38 that runs to the coast from I-5, and there are always logging trucks heading to Coos Bay and ships to the export markets. Big logs tend to go in that direction (old growth).

I wake up every morning felling like epoxy has been injected up my nose and into my sinuses. I have soak in the bath before I can even
'blow by dose". The accompanying headache just makes mornings so much fun. Benadryl knocks me out like a trout but it's worth it. I feel OK during the day, then about 5pm my throat starts to hurt again. This too shall pass.

I wake up every morning felling like epoxy has been injected up my nose and into my sinuses. I have soak in the bath before I can even
'blow by dose". The accompanying headache just makes mornings so much fun. Benadryl knocks me out like a trout but it's worth it. I feel OK during the day, then about 5pm my throat starts to hurt again. This too shall pass.

2 drops of sesame oil (found in the Chinese cooking section at your grocery store) in each nostril while laying on your back before you go to sleep. Smells kind of like burned popcorn. Do it every night and within a week your sinuses should clear. Really works.
Regards,
Phil

Oh yah, and it hurts. The logs roll in from Canada here. Weyehauser has a big yard near here (used to be Willamette) and they get logs form Canada on the rail lines which run right into their mill, and saw them up into dimentional lumber, and off they go to Home Depot and Lowes.

Been a long war over improting logs from Canada under NAFTA, and they finally agreed on a deal to import them into the US. It floods an already dead log market. Now there is also a lot of blow-down along the OR/WA/BC coast from the hurricane late last year that will have to be salvage logged, adding more downward pressure on the log prices.

A lot of timber is also exported from around here. We live near Highway 38 that runs to the coast from I-5, and there are always logging trucks heading to Coos Bay and ships to the export markets. Big logs tend to go in that direction (old growth).

We have a new log yard here they are loading logs into ship containers for export. Keeping a lot of independents busy hauling. Been a long time since I have seen so many logs comin down from the mountains. Funny watching em stuff the logs into the containers finesse not required.

I can see how the new home construction crash has hurt the logging industry. Does lumber come into USA from overseas and if so thats got to hurt ?

One of our biggest competitors for the structural lumber market is Canada.

At one of our mills the mainline railroad tracks go right by the front gate of the mill. If a train is passing through all traffic in and out of the mill waits for it.

If it's a train load of Canadian lumber, and there are MANY, some of the guys get out and throw rocks at the train.

2 drops of sesame oil (found in the Chinese cooking section at your grocery store) in each nostril while laying on your back before you go to sleep. Smells kind of like burned popcorn. Do it every night and within a week your sinuses should clear. Really works.
Regards,
Phil

I find that a good, healthy sniff of an open jar of horseradish will clear mine. Of course that depends on being _able_ to get a good sniff though the blockage.

Harry K

We have a new log yard here they are loading logs into ship containers for export. Keeping a lot of independents busy hauling. Been a long time since I have seen so many logs comin down from the mountains. Funny watching em stuff the logs into the containers finesse not required.

The all mightly dollar is dirt cheap; we will be exporting a lot more logs (and other stuff) now. I have never seen logs stuffed into containers though. In Coos Bay they load them onto ships as... logs. No containers required. Seemingly you do not really even need a ship... just a tug. When I was a kid there were log rafts all up and down the Willamette and Columbia Rivers, and all around the Puget Sound.

You have milder stuff. The crud going around here comes with fever, not too horrible but the chills thing, massive cough till your ribs feel like they'll come apart, and achy stuff. Finally slept. Still got a cough but not as bad. There's only one solution that works for me at this point, go out and hork it up. Ick.

Very few log trucks going by to the mill here and I heard that they quit buying logs for a while. Our FS cops caught a cedar thief in the act. I caught some guys cutting firewood in a no no place, maybe I better start giving to the food bank.

2dogs, slowp
Get rid of that crap you got, (get well soon).

Originally Posted by Cedarkerf We have a new log yard here they are loading logs into ship containers for export. Keeping a lot of independents busy hauling. Been a long time since I have seen so many logs comin down from the mountains. Funny watching em stuff the logs into the containers finesse not required.

Why in the hell would you want to put logs in shipping containers, unless you were trying to hide them, or didn't want someone knowing that you are in the log transporting business.
Oh me, I figured it out, the ships have to return the shipping containers to get their deposit back, so if they stuff logs in them they have a paying backhaul eh!
That crap they sell at Home Depot and Lowes is about as green of lumber you can get, without it still growing. I think the mill cuts the lumber, runs it thru the planer, bundles it, and ships it off to the store, no drying process involved, other than the tansport time from mill to store. Go buy some lumber, or check the price of lumber, can we say "expensive". I can assure you, from experience, the logger is not the one getting rich, you would think that, with the housing market down, building materials would be cheaper, "KNOT". Alright enough venting for now, AZLOGGER OUT!

:angry2: :deadhorse:

Last edited:
Back